My WIC Appointment Today

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
I saw 3 :eek: moms misusing their cars seats...all of them were carriers (obviously they werent carrying in their convertable lo) None of the moms spoke English either so I couldn't help...I felt so frustrated:( WIC offices would be a good place to hand a "Is your carseat installed correctly? Call Me!" sign for techs...it really was rather depressing

ADS

djma

I think it would be a great place to hand those kind of things out. Not sure what the response would be, though. My church runs a full time daycare and they had a "Safety Week" where they discussed several issues with the kids (fire safety, street safety...) and there was a nice display about proper car seat use (although it didn't say anything in there about extended rf'ing) and a box holding brochures for the parents...well I was nosey and would check each week to see if any of the brochures had been taken and I would guess that maybe 5 were taken out of the box the entire time! I think it's a rare occassion that people give it more thought than just "I'm so relieved they're ff'ing now" or "I'm so glad I don't have to strap them in now." These are responses I've heard from my own neighbors who know my opinions on the subject.

I wonder if the WIC office could put something in the with paperwork they give parents???

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
I was thinking about that too..I am waiting to hear back if i got a position as a peer counselor for WIC so if i do i will ask

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
Women Infants and Children...it is a government program that allows moms to get nutritional foods for free along with formula...you get a set amount every month...I use it to get my breast pump for free instead of renting (which I couldnt afford)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Good luck with getting the position. You seem like you would make a great peer counsellor.

yeahthat.gif

Simplysomething

Our WIC office is in the Health Department building. They do the car-seat stuff down there in the health department (ya know, down the hall, around the corner, from the wic offices. lol). They have tons of posters regarding proper car-seat usage. I don't know that anyone notices them though.

It's not just for moms and infants though, it goes up to age five. Depending on where you live, you either get the food or vouchers/checks, for foods like milk, cheese, formula, juice, etc.

mominabigtruck

When I got wic they had the free carseat thing in the same building. And the lady that ran was the most uneducated b**** I have ever met when it comes to that sort of thing. She was pushing ffing at 20lbs and boosters at 3 and when I tried to correct her she got all kinds of snotty with me. If I know someone that needs a free seat I don't even send them up there anymore, I tell them to get in contact with a tech in the next town over.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Does anyone know the income requirements of WIC and do they request a person to also list child support income? Just curious.

mominabigtruck

Depends on where your at. I still got it for my youngest even though our gross income was over the limit because they took out all of our taxes and didn't count that money. They have to keep a certain quota in the county to make money, that's how they operate. So if wic is used alot in your area they will probably be pretty stringent, but if they're hurting for new people they might work with you a little.

arly1983

Its pretty easy to get WIC. We have had it for Jackson and Camille. It really helps out alot. I really enjoyed going to the health dept. I got all my shots up there as a kid and most of the same nurses are still there. They helped me with the Babies Can't Wait people. I think that some people have really great health depts (like me) others have really horrible ones. WIth Jackson I requested a lactation consultant through the WIC and she was really wonderful. I saw her before I had Jackson, at the hospital, and at my house later. I called her several times. I wish I would have called her with Camille. Then I probably wouldn't have quit breastfeeding with the galactosemia scare. If you qualify there are LOTS of services WIC can offer you, not just the free food. If you qualify, you can start getting all the benefits when you first become pregnant.

mominabigtruck

Arly I'm really glad that you enjoyed your wic experience. I wish we had a health dept like that around here. They treat you like your trash if you're in there, like you can't be trusted to take care of a child without them giving you little pamplets and then they think they can shove anything down your throat once they have it in there. I've gotten into yelling matches with the head lady there because I refuse to vaccinate. I think if more people had an experience like you it would be a lot better program but I think alot of people think its just too demoralizing to have to deal with them.

arly1983

Yeah, I know, I have heard lots of horror stories as well. I know I am very lucky. I think it helps that I live in a (not so small anymore) small town and everyone pretty much knows everyone. Its always worth a shot, though, go once if you don't like it, don't go back.

Splash

The income limits for WIC are pretty high. Disgustingly high, IMO. If a family of four is making 54k a year, they can damn well afford their own cheese and carrots.

WIC picked up part of the tab for Charlie's neocate, and then an even smaller portion of the vivonex. It was a big fight with them over it at first, because he was a breastfed child that needed the supplemental formula because he COULDN'T EAT. And then they tried getting us to take normal enfamil or some such. Um... no. If he could take enfamil, I wouldn't be needing the government to pick up part of my gigantic tab. (The Neocate wasn't that bad, but the Vivonex was ridiculous).
I would say as far as WIC goes... if you need it, you qualify for it. If you don't qualify for it, you don't need it. At least in around here (and I'm pretty sure the standards are the same all over). The income limits really are that high.
We had to almost beat the WIC people off of us with a stick in the hospital. Every darn day they'd come and try to get us to sign up. Even when we told them we didn't need it, even when we told them there is nothing about it we can use, it didn't matter. They were like army recruiters.

Morganthe

Definitely each State has set its own requirements for income for qualifying for WIC since they're responsible for using the federal monies. Sometimes it's supplimented with a small revenue from the State since its considered a program vital to monitoring children's health in those years before anyone else ever sees them. But some States have made it very difficult to qualify.

When I became pregnant overseas, we qualified for WIC support for the first year with dh as a Tsgt. As soon as Jan rolled around with a 3% payraise, we made $18 too much to qualify for it. Not really a biggie since I didn't ff, but being able to get expensive Lactose-free milk that I drink, the nice eggs, & cereals certainly helped the budget. I didn't like all the juice that was authorized and rarely ever purchased them. There were other items on the 'cheques', but I didn't use those either.

When I moved to TX, I was amazed to find out from a mother that her family did not qualify for WIC benefits with 3+ members-- the husband was a Staff sgt, she didn't work, they had a 2 year old daughter, and she was pregnant -- so that counts as 4. It didn't matter whether or not they lived on base, they made 'too much money' even though they had no debts and were living paycheck to paycheck. And that's really difficult to believe since it's been just as expensive to live here as overseas. :(

I do think WIC has played a part with children's obesity & teeth problems with all the juice that has been supplied to the families. Empty sugar calories that (despite reccomendations) many families just give their young children all they want :(
jmho

arly1983

I think you are right about the juice. With the juice i get from WIC, I have enough to give five children in my daycare when I follow the state mealplan. Thats alot of juice they give you for just one child.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
Yesterday..at my appointment...I told them that I was still exclusively nursing Aleah...I was told that I should be giving her baby cereal (despite the fact that I told her I dont like it) and that she should already be drinking juices:eek: and eating "heartier solids"...all this even after I told them that she has had several reactions...so they definately ARENT the experts they claim to be.

The free milk, cereal and juice (I love grape juice) helps out quite a bit, about $40-$50 a month..plus I get my medela lactina pump for free which would cost anywhere from $40-$60 a month...so it really does help out.

We have several different offices here in town...and they are all pretty ghetto. Most of the emloyees treat you like you must be an idiot if you havent read their pamphlets and told them your whole life story :rolleyes: but for me right now its worth it:)

Yoshi

Back in 1989 when I had DS, we made too much to qualify for WIC in NYState ($23,000) Back then, that seemed like a decent salary, but my SO at the time was paying child support to his ex-wife and we couldn't afford a lot of things. Our rent was close to $500 a month and I used to budget $40 a week for groceries!!!! My mom would buy us diapers and meat here and there. I also used to get my son's clothes as hand-me-downs form my sis.
Thank God when I finished my degree, got my job and re-married life changed big time. Kids are so expensive! My DH and I decided to have just one child together because even though he makes a decent salary, it is just too expensive to live on one salary forever. (At least where I live, where a tiny major fixer-upper house costs over $350K. )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC