Complete Air 65

ADS

SavsMom

OMG - love that cover!
The insert is for an infant - but I don't think the CA really fits a newbie.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I wonder what kind of head excursion numbers all these new HWH seats are getting? Isn't the FMVSS law kind of vague, like, the seat must not disintegrate with a dummy over 50 pounds in it, rather than meeting any of the standards for the lower weight limit harnessed seats? So it's easy for any company to slap a higher limit on the FF seats, really... Evenflo, Graco, Britax, Recaro..

I'm just pondering, this whole rush to 65lb limits reminds me of when they relabeled combo boosters from 60 to 80 to 100, even though kids rarely even fit in them to 55ish pounds.

And, um, is that purple? Oh dear. How dare Dorel try to tempt me with purple? <embarrased blush, ponder the bank account...>

mommaon112903

I wonder what kind of head excursion numbers all these new HWH seats are getting? Isn't the FMVSS law kind of vague, like, the seat must not disintegrate with a dummy over 50 pounds in it, rather than meeting any of the standards for the lower weight limit harnessed seats? So it's easy for any company to slap a higher limit on the FF seats, really... Evenflo, Graco, Britax, Recaro..

I'm just pondering, this whole rush to 65lb limits reminds me of when they relabeled combo boosters from 60 to 80 to 100, even though kids rarely even fit in them to 55ish pounds.
QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing.

Also, if they did not increase the harness heights (as in the case of many of the new 65lb seats IIRC) they aren't going to get a child to 65lbs anyways.

Maedze

No, but the Complete Air might get a lot closer. Not 65, but my 50 pound 5 year old still has a half inch of growing room and he's a really skinny kid.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sweet! My one hangup with that seat has been the 50 pound forward facing limit, since the top slots are high enough to get the average kid to 55-60 pounds.

Wendy

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Thumbs up :) I still *adore* my MR as a RF seat, but if I was looking to get just one convertible for a child, this would make me look at the CA over the MR.

I, too, would like to see the testing numbers on the plethora of new seats we're getting. When do those normally get released, though?

freqflyer

I want the purple seat. I haven't been tempted by any of the other Complete Air colors but the purple might do it. Wonder if DS would mind. :)

Pixels

And, um, is that purple? Oh dear. How dare Dorel try to tempt me with purple? <embarrased blush, ponder the bank account...>

Seats up to 50 pounds have to meet strict head excursion, knee excursion, and HIC (Head Injury Criterion) limits. Over 50 pounds, there is no HE, KE, or HIC. The dummy can't fly completely out of the seat, and the seat can't break in two.

A seat that is 5-65 pounds is tested with all the dummies. The newborn dummy, the 1yo dummy, the 3yo dummy, etc. The smaller dummies (the ones they use for up to 50 pounds) all have to meet the HE, KE, and HIC. The biggest dummy is only used for over 50 pounds, and with that dummy, it just doesn't have to fall apart. So a seat that is also rated for 65 pounds is held to the exact same standards as a seat rated to 40, for a 30 pound child.

AtTheSouthDam

Why must dorel tempt my resolve?! I love the purple, I love the tropical print but I told my self no more convertible seats... wah!!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, oops, sorry, that's what I meant to say, of course the seat meets the requirements for the lighter dummies. It's just the much heavier dummies that don't meet those standards, so it's easy to slap a 65lb weight limit on without it meaning a whole lot, performance-wise. (except Sunshine Kids which is quite proud of their performance with the 5th percentile female adult dummy in the Radian).

glockchick

I wonder if it will be retroactive?

I just bought CA LX's. But then again it probably won't matter because my kids stay skinny. My 6 year old isn't 50 lbs yet. :p

skitle1802

I like the new pattern, the CA is really growing on me. First the swirl then the pink and brown now this? Maybe I can trade me 35lbs rf seats for CA?

Cryssy Jane

oh my goodness :love: stop coming out with new seats... i can't spend any more money on seats.

ETA: I've been dying for a purple seat... why oh why do they listen now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC