When do schools?

broken4u05

when do they have the Orientation for kindergarten? and when do you start going to the school and looking as it and signing them up or whatever. My godson will be 5 this summer and so next year he will go to school and they have done nothing. I think the grandmother at one time wanted the mom to home school him but now that she left i don't know what they are going to do. Anyone know when you should start looking into school the the kids?

ADS

djma

I do not have any personal experience, but the lady I teach with is signing her daughter up for Kindergarten in April. I'm not sure about touring or anything like that, but I'm sure you could request a tour before you register them.

HTH

mamato2

I'm in Austin. Our school district has a 'round up' on April 4th. The next school district over has theirs the day after. School starts earlier here than in some states so the 'round ups' may be earlier here too?
Our district has a paper day first, no kids, just forms. Then later, I think in May, they have the kids come in for a story and snack and the parents get some info.
The other district I'm thinking of does both at the same time. Kids get a tour and milk and cookies (they get to get on a bus too) while the parents turn in paper work.

If they want to see the school in action and check it out, now would be the time to do it. Give the school a call and ask what they recommend.

I've decided to teach my 5 year old at home this coming year :D so I will probably be watching my neighbors kids while they go sign up their oldest the day of 'round up'.

Many choose to give boys an 'extra' year if they turn 5 in the summer with the idea that they will be better able to handle the 'demands' of Kindergarten. Perhaps they are thinking of sending him the following year? Kindergarten can be tough on young 5's especially boys if it is very academic (as our school is here). The kids don't get much 'move and play' time. I've never met a 5 year old boy who didn't need to MOVE !!!!
C.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
Call the school or school district..they have a "kindergarden roundup" at schools here in las vegas..but at other places it may be different...

Dillipop

Registration in my town was 2 weeks ago. The town my parents are in had it last week. If you didn't register during the 2 days each town had, you can register at any time at the school dept, however, you might not get into the school you are districted for, since they assign kids based on the registration drive. Call the school dept to find out for sure.

broken4u05

When i talked to his mom she was wanting to send him to school next year. It was the grandma that wanted to homeschool. Just to let you know i have nothing agaist home school i just do not think it would work for this family. And i think school will be better for him because all he does is watch TV at home with his brother and sister. They just moved a few months ago and i know they haven't looked into school at all. The worst thing is they doen't really have anyone that really watches them. Like their aunt is there during the day than the dad or grandma watchs them but it is never really like playing with them and talking to them they are always busy doing something and like everyone is watching them kinda? do you get it. And i feel that noone really is in charge of what they need to do.

Simplysomething

when do they have the Orientation for kindergarten? and when do you start going to the school and looking as it and signing them up or whatever. My godson will be 5 this summer and so next year he will go to school and they have done nothing. I think the grandmother at one time wanted the mom to home school him but now that she left i don't know what they are going to do. Anyone know when you should start looking into school the the kids?

Depends on where you are.
Here, in my city, they have a time that is set aside so you can sign up for Kindergarten--the spring before. But you can sign up anytime the summer before.

Then here is the back to school orientation, but that's more like the week or two before school starts.

It's only March, give her some time.

broken4u05

i know it is still early but i though i remebered when a friend was signing up her kid and it was sometime in spring. And i dont want him to miss it

Simplysomething

I understand that. :)
You could call the school district to find out for sure.

Also, if you don't want to call, google "kindergarten registration" plus the name of the district you live in and you should find what you are looking for.

Another poster mentioned that people do hold some kids back a year--especially if they have late summer birthdays, so that could be the case.

I know that also, in someplaces--the K cutoff date is earlier than others. My oldest son was born in late July 2000. Here, the cutoff date for K is age 5 by September 30. Some of the ladies on my month board- the cutoff date for their localities was July 1st. So, that's something to consider as well. (I remember discussion about it--I don't know if anyone ever ended up waiting a year for the K--). I found this, if you scroll all the way to the bottom it gives the cutoff date for the state of Maryland.

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
Our K registration was in three steps.

First they had an open house... I think it was in March? Children were welcomed to attend but not required. There was a short talk w/ the principal, counselor and reading teachers then a tour of the school. At this time we were given a K registration packet and made an appt to drop it off.

Second we dropped off the completed registration packet. General info forms, medical forms, emergency info and a questionnaire about your child. We made another appt at this time for K screening.

Last was kindergarten screening. Dh took Bethany in and he sat in a chair outside the room when the reading teacher or counselor (not sure which one did the screening for her) asked Beth questions and had her do a few things. Identify letters, numbers, colors, etc. Finish a drawing of a person (half of the person was drawn). Stuff like that.

Beth did great, she was really relaxed... mostly I think because we took her up to the school multiple times before we went to the screening.

We just had Beth's second parent/teacher conference yesterday (she's in K right now) and she's doing GREAT. I'm really pleased w/ our local school. Good luck w/ your godchild and finding out all the info you need.

broken4u05

His birthday is early july. The cut off is sep. thanks for the link. It used to be jan 1st. HAHA i was 4 in K. I went on the website and it had nothing i needed. I did a search and everything. I really do not feel like calling because i am not a parent so i would feel very werid. Thanks for all the help. I think next time i go over there i am just going to see what they are going to do and just kinda say if they want him in school next year they might want to take him on a tour or talk to someone soon.

skaterbabs

His birthday is early july. The cut off is sep. thanks for the link. It used to be jan 1st. HAHA i was 4 in K. I went on the website and it had nothing i needed. I did a search and everything. I really do not feel like calling because i am not a parent so i would feel very werid. Thanks for all the help. I think next time i go over there i am just going to see what they are going to do and just kinda say if they want him in school next year they might want to take him on a tour or talk to someone soon.

Honestly, with a July birthday I would *strongly* encourage leaving him home another year.
if i had itto do all over again, CJ would not have gone until he was 6 and we'd have a LOT fewer issues (july bday as well.)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
All the schools around here have signs out front when it's time... haven't seen ours yet here...how about going to your school district's website, though? That's the kind of info they'd have there :) (we moved here last july and in august i took my kids in to register, it was pretty easy and quick).

:)
ETA, duh, should have read posts first...

all the boys in my neighborhood don't start K till six... my son is a september b day, quite a few of his friends are even older than him in the same grade (turned 6 the summer before K)

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member

The school will never know you aren't a parent. Just call and say you were wondering when K registration is.

I too went to K when I was 4yo (November bday and cut off was 12/1) and did just fine.

My dd's bday is in July and I can't imagine not having her in K this year. She was most definitely ready for school. She's doing great and I'm sure she would be bored out of her mind if she was in preK for another year!

broken4u05

I am not sure if he is ready to go but i also know that he will not be any more ready next year. They are not doing anything with him at home and he is just inside all day long. I went to school when i was 4 and so did my sister and we were both ok. Her more than me because i have some learning problems but if i was held back we would be in the same grade. We are both Dec babies. I want him to go to school. I really think he will like it.
Hey strange question any public schools around you have uniforms? I think they have them.

broken4u05

I talked to the grandmother today and she did not know the everything for K starts so early but he is going to school next year. And she is going to call about a tour. YAY

Simplysomething

Hey strange question any public schools around you have uniforms? I think they have them.

I don't think any of the public schools in my particular city have uniforms, but other cities in the area, there in surrounding systems there are some schools that have them. I have no problem with uniforms. Usually, when it comes to public school, a uniform isn't like the traditional "school uniform" that many people think of. Sometimes, it's as simple as everyone wearing the same color shirt. There are, of course, exceptions.

I'll not get into the debate about uniforms, other than to say that I like 'em.

ETA, my sons school does not require uniforms.

broken4u05

They have set ones. there is a store in the mall for them. I dont know how i feel. I dont think i would want to wear them but i can see how they could be good. I have mixed feelings. just didnt know if anyone else had it in public schools

Dillipop

We didn't have uniforms in any of the schools I went to. I went to schools in New Jersey, Maryland, Connecticut and Rhode Island. However, they were all suburban schools. My cousin, who went to an inner city school in Baltimore had a uniform. The way my aunt explained was so that all students were on equal footing. Kids didn't have to worry about status based on clothing. My cousin loved not having to choose clothing to go to school.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other about uniforms in schools. On the one hand it would be easier and cheaper to dress my kid for school. On the other, he wouldn't have a choice in what to wear.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC