Back-seat headrests?

SpaceAngel

Ok, so far I still haven't had my cousins in the car to see if they pass the 5point test so this may not even matter, but I know you need to have headrests to use a backless booster.

My question is, how do I know if I have them? My back seat (2001 Malibu) does have sort of padded bumpups at the outboard positions. I sat in the seat to test them, and they hit me right in the back of the head, where the head bulges out, you know? Are these true headrests, or just for comfort? (I can't imagine them being comfort only, cause sitting with my head tipped back against them was NOT comfy)? Do "real" headrests only qualify if they are the huge, rectangular, adjustable jobs?

ADS

skaterbabs

They're not actually for resting your head against. head rests are more accurately called head restraints, and their purpose is to reduce the risk if whiplash. As long as the seat comes up to the tips of the ears, it provides protection.

SpaceAngel

So if they do NOT pass the 5point, I will have to take them somewhere to test out if a backless will work with my seats, I guess?

SpaceAngel

Well, I was thinking low back because they are only in my car rarely (they haven't been since before Thanksgiving), they are cheaper (I work 7 days a week and still have no extra funds), and they really are tall kids. I don't know their heights, but the 8 year old comes to about my shoulders at least. I am five four.

SpaceAngel

I understand that. That is why I was trying to figure out if what I have are head-restraints or fluffy pillow bumps. If I would need highbacks I'd probably say forget it and just not take them with me ever.

skaterbabs

As long as the back of the seat is at least at their ear tips, a low back is fine. The "pillow bumbs" do count. ;) FWIW, I think the Evenflo Big Kid runs abour $30, although I may be thinking of the Cosco.

SpaceAngel

Thanks for the suggestions. Now, to find some time to take the kiddos somewhere to obsrver for the 5 point test.......

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC