Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Piddle Pad?

Senior Community Member VoodooChile's Avatar

Piddle Pad?

Just curious--is something like this recommended:
    http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com...-Aid-PP-z.html
    I'm assuming no, as it's aftermarket and may be thick enough to mess w/ fit. What do you use (if anything) when potty training to help protect the car seat (or is the best option a spare cover?)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Piddle Pad?

We never used anything, and through 3 kids never had a problem.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

I believe that the incontinence pads are okay to use. You know the thin blue and white (typically) pads? They're very thin, and don't really add much in the way of layer effect to the fit of the harness.

ETA: Like Rebekah, we never had a problem with either girl having an accident in their seats.

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

I have heard the same thing as CandC said-- that adult incontinence pads (Chux? Chucks? Chuks?) are fine to use. They are only about as thick as a thick t-shirt, yet offer a waterproof barrier.

We bought a thin waterproof matress pad and cut it into pieces to fit in the seat. They are extremely thin and I didn't think they posed any hazard. I think we bought a crib size but it might have been a twin size. We only had one accident and only used them for about a week though!

Senior Community Member BABYGIRLLYNDSEY's Avatar

I was also looking at these piddle pads. I have only seen them on the web. So, should we not use them? We will start potty training Karley this summer and I was also wondering about this.
    Mom to four ages 25, 23, 18 & 11. Busia to my new grandson.

Senior Community Member

The piddle pads are extremely thin. They are thinner than a regular diper. They puff up and absorb when wet. I have two of these.
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

Thanks! I was curious about them and having not seen them was hesitant to buy. I am going to now.

Carseat Crazy

As my child pointed out "don't worry the seat will dry." This was after I asked/pleaded for him to go potty and he refused. on the way to our next stop about 10 minutes wouldn't you know he peed! Carseat covers do wash and it is not the end of the world as my ds pointed out.

Jenn

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jennsmile View Post
    As my child pointed out "don't worry the seat will dry." This was after I asked/pleaded for him to go potty and he refused. on the way to our next stop about 10 minutes wouldn't you know he peed! Carseat covers do wash and it is not the end of the world as my ds pointed out.

Jenn
    yes but the vehicle's upholstery may not remove as easily the pee may not be contained entirely in the carseat cover.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

We have had to wash our covers because of a pee pee diaper blow out. It isn't that bad, the foam under the cover needed to be cleaned also. But, I'd rather have the piddle pad just in case. Especially if you're on vacation, which we're planning this summer.

Senior Community Member

Actually, thats why we bought them. To use on a 6 hour drive.
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

CPS Fanatic

i don't know if i would go for the piddle pad since it looks kind of thick. i would use something thinner like lab bench diapers or crib sheet protectors which you can buy. there was an entire tread about this a few weeks ago, you can search for it.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.