Happy BRU moment

Wiggles

So I went to BRU to get some supplies to have on hand for my very young houseguest this weekend, in case of emergency. As always, I checked out the carseats to see if anything new had come in. No new carseats, but there was a pregnant woman looking over the Eddie Bauer 3-in-1. She was trying to dig it out to look at something, so I just helped her. While I was doing so, I asked if it was for the new baby. She said yeah, but she'd already bought one somewhere else. She was planning to use it 'until the baby no longer needed a carseat.' I made sure to mention that the baby might not meet the bottom slots until it was a bit older, and then I mentioned that the 3-in-1s make terrible boosters, so she'll want to get something else later or when the child outgrows the harness--and that the carseat expires anyway in 6 years and junior will need a seat or booster until 8 in Ontario. She was really receptive. I know that's years off, but the fact that she now knows that it's NOT the only carseat she'll ever need means that the fact is in her mind. I also explained that kids need to be in harnesses until at LEAST 4-5 years because they're not mature enough to sit properly in boosters yet.

Makes me happy.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Awesome! It really is so counter to its marketing.

They have eight year expirations, though. I can't imagine stuffing an eight year old in one, though.

Wendy

Wiggles

Ah, my mistake. So many are 6 years, I assumed. Should have double checked. Even so, she'll need a new seat before 6, unless her child's a peanut like Piper! And she was a very tall woman (approaching 6 feet, I'd say, if not 6 feet) so I doubt her child will be an itty bitty peanut.

That's my second good experience with our BRU. The other one, a man was looking for an ERF seat for his very lightweight, but tall daughter and I helped him narrow down to a CA or a TF. He had been looking at Marathons, but that seemed like a bad plan to me. The BRU clerks love me and when they see me, they ask what I know about seats, now. They want me to apply and I think I'm going to. I do NOT present myself as a tech--I in fact make sure to say that you should find a tech--and instead just say I'm a 'hobbyist.'

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC