Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

What seat/for which kid should I get?

My grandmother wants to buy us a car seat "for the baby." However, for as much as she knows about seats, I could buy one for any of my kids and she'd never know the difference.

My 7yos are pretty well covered. They have old-school PW in my car, and TB in dh's car. My 5yo is getting their old Regent for my car, and we'll put the GN in dh's car (eventually I'll get her a PW SG). My 2yo is in a RD in my car, and probably will get the 5yo's old Como for dh's car. Tax Deduction is getting an old SS1.

So... a new seat for Tax Deduction? OnBoard35? CCO? TFP?
    Do not attempt

in an automobile!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: What seat/for which kid should I get?

i'd buy for the baby as that is grandma's wish.
    I guess it depends on your situation. if i had money to burn i'd buy a cco cause they are so darn cute. if i didn't have a lot of extra money i'd probably buy a convertible that you will get a lot of milage out of. you could put it in dh's car and if 2 yo rides in it a bit in the mean time that's cool too.

If you do need a seat for a child other than the baby, I'd tell grandma "Thanks, but *this child* needs a seat and baby can use *this seat* if you'd like to buy one for *whichever child* instead. That way she gets to help you out with a seat and you aren't being dishonest about anything.

I love the cuteness of the CCO. And I'm considering getting a TFP myself as a back up seat. I think I personally would have grandma buy a convertible for baby since you have an infant seat already.
    Angie, mama to Lily

ERF in a HeadWise 70 and Radian XTSL

Senior Community Member

I'd have grandma buy a convertible for the baby since it seems like all the other kids have good seats and baby will need a convertible eventually anyway.

ETA:Of the three you mentioned, I'd go with the TFP.
    Aurora 5/23/94 (married 3/9/13), Oliver 12/27/95, Simon 9/11/98, Savannah 4/9/00, Harrison 2/26/03, Genevieve 2/24/05, Sebastian 4/24/08-Monterey, Radian XT, or Literider, Magnus 4/26/14-Combi Shuttle 35

I would also go with a TFP
    DD1 10.5y/o seatbelt
    DD2 8y/o 45" 52lbs. backless
    DS 7y/o 51" 58lbs. ProBooster or backless

CPS Advocate

If you're getting a convertible for TD, I'd get a MyRide

I'd go with a TFP for new baby. The other kids seem set with seats. New baby has an infant carrier already. I'd go with a convertible since baby will need it before you know it. I'd have her wait a bit, though. Sometime early next year once baby is here. Unless you can use it in the mean time for one of your other kiddos.
    DD - 6/12/08 - FF in a Plum RXT
    DD - 7/13/12 - RF in a Cherry Pie CCO

Without knowing expirations of all the other seats..... I'd say get a TFP. It has nice tall top slots to go from that to a booster (because the other seats may be expiring as baby gets older).
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70