Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Carseat Crazy

Need help fitting our car seats side by side

I was on here a few months ago and needed a narrow car seat for our vehicle. We have the Marathon and by the other window was the infant seat. A lot of you recommended the Radian so we bought that for my 3 yr old and took my baby out of the infant seat and into the Marathon. We needed a slim car seat because i have a 15 yr old that has no where to sit! Well we got the Radian in and unfortunately there is no more room than before. We are going on a trip soon and i need to know if there is anyway possible that a radian and Marathon can go beside each other so my son can have a window seat. My husband says there is no way that would work because at least one of the car seats would be on a slant because of the way the seats are sunk in.. sort of bucket style i guess. We have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. I hope someone can recommend a way to put these seats in to have more room.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: Need help fitting our car seats side by side

Radians fit nicely next to each other in the Santa Fe, but the Radian and Marathon do not.

Also, your son needs to sit OUTBOARD, NOT in the middle. There is no head rest in the middle seat and it is not safe for him to sit there.

I would purchase a second Radian for your baby and use it in the center position.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    Radians fit nicely next to each other in the Santa Fe, but the Radian and Marathon do not.

Also, your son needs to sit OUTBOARD, NOT in the middle. There is no head rest in the middle seat and it is not safe for him to sit there.

I would purchase a second Radian for your baby and use it in the center position.
    Ya i know he can't sit there that's why i wanted to find a way for the 2 girls to sit next to each other so my son could have the window So there's no way for them to go side by side then right?

CPS Advocate

Not that combination, unfortunately. I believe the 2004 is pretty much the same as the 2003, and trust me, I tried

If baby still fits in the infant bucket, you could install the infant bucket in the center position without the base, to tide you over until you can get a second Radian.

Carseat Crazy

Not that combination, unfortunately. I believe the 2004 is pretty much the same as the 2003, and trust me, I tried

If baby still fits in the infant bucket, you could install the infant bucket in the center position without the base, to tide you over until you can get a second Radian.
    Okay thank's.. i don't think you can install ours without the base though. It's an evenflo.

I had a RF Marathon outboard and a FF Radian in the center of my MIL's 2002 Santa Fe. I wonder if they changed the body style significantly between 2002 and 2003-2004?

I know it's not the best picture in the world but it's the only one I had of the car seats in the Santa Fe (at Disneyland )

Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

CPS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by An Aurora View Post
    I had a RF Marathon outboard and a FF Radian in the center of my MIL's 2002 Santa Fe. I wonder if they changed the body style significantly between 2002 and 2003-2004?
    I think they did...the outer slopes got more pronounced and stupid, causing the outboard seat to sit even closer to the inside of the vehicle, if that makes sense.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by An Aurora View Post
    Hmm that is interesting.. i wouldn't know as the radian is new to us but they must have changed it then.

I think they did...the outer slopes got more pronounced and stupid, causing the outboard seat to sit even closer to the inside of the vehicle, if that makes sense.
    Yes, that makes sense
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

Carseat Crazy

okay so will a graco safe seat installed beside the Radian fit in the middle with out the base?
    Last edited by Ryalee; 07-19-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spelling

CPS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Ryalee View Post
    okay so will a graco safe seat installed beside the Radian fit in the middle with out the base?
    IIRC, yes

That's weird, usually the Radian+Marathon facing the same direction takes up the same amount of room as Radian+Radian.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

CPS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels View Post
    That's weird, usually the Radian+Marathon facing the same direction takes up the same amount of room as Radian+Radian.
    These seats aren't facing the same direction; the Radian is forward facing and the Marathon rear facing....

Uh oh, did I read it wrong?

Carseat Crazy

IIRC, yes

Not sure what IIRC is but the yes is a good sign. lol My friend has one i can borrow

Carseat Crazy

These seats aren't facing the same direction; the Radian is forward facing and the Marathon rear facing....

Uh oh, did I read it wrong?
    You are right. The baby is RF in the Marathon

CPS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Ryalee View Post
    Not sure what IIRC is but the yes is a good sign. lol My friend has one i can borrow
    Sorry....nerd-speak for "If I Recall Correctly"

Carseat Crazy

Sorry....nerd-speak for "If I Recall Correctly"
    LOL! Okay thank's for your help

Senior Community Member

Just brainstorming!! If the three year old could still fit in the Radian rf, would the Radian and Marathon fit side by side both rf?
    Aurora 5/23/94 (married 3/9/13), Oliver 12/27/95, Simon 9/11/98, Savannah 4/9/00, Harrison 2/26/03, Genevieve 2/24/05, Sebastian 4/24/08-Monterey, Radian XT, or Literider, Magnus 4/26/14-Combi Shuttle 35

CPS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by mommyfrog View Post
    Just brainstorming!! If the three year old could still fit in the Radian rf, would the Radian and Marathon fit side by side both rf?
    That's a definite maybe. If it works, I'd put the Radian in the center position and the Marathon outboard. The Britax base works better offset on those sloped seats than the Radian, and the Radian takes up less recline in the center than outboard.

Carseat Crazy

That's a definite maybe. If it works, I'd put the Radian in the center position and the Marathon outboard. The Britax base works better offset on those sloped seats than the Radian, and the Radian takes up less recline in the center than outboard.
    hmm never thought of that. Right now 3 yr old dd id ff but we can turn her around if it works. Is the radian easy to install RF?