2 adults, 2 carseats in a plane, seat configuration?

vrclay

Our family of 4 will be traveling by plane, 2 adults & 2 kids (3 & 1), We're traveling with 2 radian carseats. Looking for suggestions for seating arrangements. Can I do 2 carseats in one row? For some reason, I'm thinking they have to be placed by the window? or am I making that up?

Would you do one kid and one adult in 2 different rows?
Would you do 2 kids and one adult in one row and put the other adult in front of your child who might be prone to kick the seat in front of him?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've put one adult and one kid in two rows behind one another. Yes, you can have two seats in the same row, and forward facing seats don't need to be by the window. I don't think technically rear facing seats need to either (say if you have infant twins), though the three flight attendants who told me otherwise two days ago probably would have been surprised to hear that. However, I personally would not block people by putting a rear facing seat not in the middle. Forward facing Radians, not a problem. You can put them next to one another, one in front of the other, one by the middle and one by the aisle. I'd do two people and two people, though.

Wendy

Pixels

The carseat may not block access for anybody else. So if the window seat is empty, or occupied by another carseat, then the next seat (middle, or aisle if it's 2 by 2) can have a carseat.

Your choices are: Carseat next to window, adult middle, in two separate rows; Carseat window and middle, adult aisle, other adult somewhere else.

If your 3yo is a kicker, you can put that child in the second row, and the 1yo in the row directly ahead. That way the 3yo is kicking the 1yo's seat. I doubt your 1yo would be able to reach the seat to kick it.

vrclay

If your 3yo is a kicker, you can put that child in the second row, and the 1yo in the row directly ahead. That way the 3yo is kicking the 1yo's seat. I doubt your 1yo would be able to reach the seat to kick it.

This is so obviously brilliant, I can't believe I didn't even think of it.

Jan06twinmom

We always do the 2 in front and 2 in back if we can arrange it. However, we put the rear-facing child in back. Then she is only blocking her brother's seat from reclining and he's in his car seat so it doesn't matter.

Melanie

aeormsby

We always do the 2 in front and 2 in back if we can arrange it. However, we put the rear-facing child in back. Then she is only blocking her brother's seat from reclining and he's in his car seat so it doesn't matter.

Melanie

That's what we did when I wanted DS to RF on the plane too. I'm OK with him FF on the plane now so we usually do 4 in a row - window, middle & 2 aisles. That way they can watch our portable DVD player together.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC