How long in an infant carrier?

How long did your baby fit in an infant carrier?

• 0 -3 months

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • 3 - 6 months

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • 6 - 9 months

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • 9 - 12 months

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • 12+ months

Votes: 8 14.3%

• Total voters

smurf

DS#2 is now 5 weeks old and has about 2 inches of shell left in his Snugride. I think he'll outgrow it within 1-2 months. DD outgrew it at around 5 months and DS#1 at 4 months (my kids are tall). I was just wondering how long your babies made it in their infant carriers (except for the Safeseat which is bigger that the other models)

When did your baby outgrow his infant carrier?

0-3 months
3-6 months
6-9 months
9-12 months
12+ months

ADS

skaterbabs

Baby 1 - 4 mos (by weight)
Baby 2 - I honestly don't remember, but after 6 mos
Baby 3 - 9 mos, by weight and height at the same time.

Synchro246

I answered wrong. I shouldn't have ansered at all (pregnancy brain)

I answered 12+ months. We didn't *have* a bucket, but he would have out grown one at 3 months, maybe 4 by weight.

arly1983

Baby #1 3.5 months by height(snudride)
Baby #2 6 months by height(snugride)
Baby #2 still going strong in Safeseat 1

SPJ&E

Hm...I can't really answer just yet, lol.

Pacey's Snugride only went to 20 lbs., so he outgrew it around 6-months (he was 19.5 lbs. in just a diaper).

Joshua Snugride goes to 22 lbs. and he has yet to outgrow it! He is just over 11-months old and 19.5 lbs. fully clothed. He has at least 3 in. above his head, so he should make it past 12-months in it.

Dillipop

I voted 3-6 months, but I'm not really sure. We moved when DS1 was 3 months old and had to return the older snugride we were borrowing, so we moved him to the convertible at 3 months. But he hit 20 pounds around 6 months, so that would have been it, if he hadn't outgrown it by height first. DS2 is going strong at 8 months in the SS1 and should definitely make it past a year. When I tried him in the snugride at 6 1/2 months, he was pretty close to being out of it by height.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I have no idea when my kids would have outgrown theirs. We only used the carrier for the first 4-6 weeks. After that, the weather was warm enough that I wasn't too concerned about putting a newborn in a cold seat that had been left in the car.

Stresch

We moved Sanna into a convertible around 7 months, but she still (at 13 months) would fit in an infant carrier.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
X was 19 pounds at 4 months. If I remember correctly, I kept him in his infant seat until almost 5 months. R and E were both 9 months by the time they outgrew theirs by weight and height at the same time.

Simplysomething

I didn't vote because I could only choose one, and I have two kids. My oldest, he was out of the carrier by 4-5 months. My youngest was in the carrier until he was 10 months old, but I stopped using it as a carrier long before then. Possibly at 3 or 4 months. Carriers are just too danged heavy.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
We did not use an infant seat for our youngest, but she would still fit in the 22 pound Snugride now at 23 months 20.5 pounds and 30 inches. Maybe 1.5-2 inches above her head (i stick her in the display models once in awhile to see how she fits). The Safeseat is still HUGE around her (display model also).

We put her directly in a Marathon at almost 11 months at adoption. She was 14 pounds and 26? inches. She fit very well.

When my son was a baby (1993-94) I did not know that the height restrictions were guidelines. I took him out of his Gerry Guard with Glide (loved that seat!) at 4 or 5 months because he was at the stated height limit. He was close to 20 pounds anyway, so maybe he would have gotten another month in the infant seat.

My older daughter was in an infant seat until almost 1 year.

Renee

trailrunnermom

I stopped using our Graco infant seat when each of the boys were about 5 months old; they weren't too big for the seat yet, but they were just too heavy (~20 lbs.) for me to tote that carrier around any longer! I used the Baby Bjorn at the grocery store, etc. until they could sit up.

Splash

Oh poo. I answered before reading NSSNA (no safeseat need apply).

Charlie outgrew his BT Latch-Loc at around 5 months I think. I last used his SS1 at 15 months, but I know he still *barely* fit in it at 17 months. He's over the weight limit now, though, at 19 months. He's also huge. He fit into longer than he did an Evenflo Titan, Evenflo Triumph, Graco ComfortSport, or Britax Roundabout.

remken

I don't remember when my girls out grew the carrier since it's been to long and I didn't get the car seat bug until I had Remy. Who out grew the evenflo carrier at 13 month and 20 pds.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
AJ and Evan both had a 20# Snugride. AJ was 7mos when he outgrew it by height and weight and Evan would've made it to at least 12 mos in his, but we moved him at 12 mos.

Ilana is in a Safeseat and is only 10#. I suspect she'll outgrow it at 2 like Evan would've.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC