Marathon70 or Radian XT SL ????

Ladybugmomma

I am a big Britax lover. I can't believe I am even considering something else.
I know the marathon70 is new, however from what you know about it and what you know about the old Marathon. Which would you recommend and why? I love the ease of the britax installs.
If it makes a difference, I will have 5 kids, 15,12, 8 in sunshine monterey, 5 in marathon soon to be frontier and then will have a baby. She will be in an infant seat until she fits in the radian or marathon. I have a 2008 honda Odyssey, the seat would be installed RF in the 2nd row captain seat or plus one seat if it will fit.
Is the radian seat as shallow as it looks? If so how would it hold up in a side impact crash?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Check out Kecia's reviews at www.carseatblog.com if you haven't already. Compared to the old Marathon, the main drawback seems to be the rear-facing seatbelt installs if you don't have a locking retractor or latchplate. The lockoffs appear to be no better than the old ones and quite possibly even more difficult. Other than that, it looks like a very nice convertible all around. I doubt you could go wrong with either one, unless you are concerned about the installation with the Radian that can vary a lot from one vehicle to the next. The Marathon 70 should be easy with LATCH in the Odyssey.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, that and it being a little shorter (looks like) and the original Marathon often being outgrown by weight and height at around the same time, seems that there would be many kids who might not get the full 40 lbs. out of it... I'd wait until there's more real-life data on its use before buying a seat that brand new personally.

The Radian's sides contain better than you would think. My only complaint on that count is older taller kids who get close to the top of the models without headwings; the XTSL doesn't have the drawback. :) Another thing, is that it fits many newborns from birth. Not all, but many.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have Britax MA/DC's and a Radian XT. I still prefer my Britax seats. I get easier installs (seat belt), I don't gain significant leg room (my 3yr old can still comfortably rf in the MA, though he typically rides FF) in the XT over the MA. And I absolutely adore Britax's lock offs. And I absolutely LOATHE the Radian tether.

They each have their place. I like them both. But I prefer Britax.

chay

I have 2 Marathons and an XTSL. I love the Marathon for the install and how upright I can get it to fit in small places (I used to drive a Civic). I love the XTSL for the leg room and RF weight limit. I can't imagine wedging my 4 year old RF into a MA (if he still met the weight limit) but he fits great in the XTSL and has way more shell over his head for growth. I'm in Canada so my Marathons only RF to 30lbs so the extra 15lbs is years of RF time for my kids.

I was super excited to hear about the MA70s hoping they'd be the best of both worlds but if the shell height isn't bigger than the MA I think I'd go with another XTSL if I was shopping. Yeah they aren't as easy as a MA to install but once you learn the tricks it isn't too bad in most cars and I still move the XTSL before touching my stupid AOE - that thing is even more of a PITA. I can't wait to take a sledge hammer to it ;)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Not sure if I would have it installed with latch or seatbelt yet. I am so torn.

Since the Odyssey has locking retractors, you may not need to use the lockoffs since they are optional. If you hold off a couple weeks, I will be testing one in a 2006 Odyssey that should be identical to your 2008. I would use LATCH unless there is some other issue.

Well, that and it being a little shorter (looks like) and the original Marathon often being outgrown by weight and height at around the same time, seems that there would be many kids who might not get the full 40 lbs. out of it... I'd wait until there's more real-life data on its use before buying a seat that brand new personally.

Part of the reason it appears shorter is because the base is shorter. Sadly, it does look like it isn't any taller, or not by much anyway. Kecia and I hope to have some more models for comparing torso height to the previous models. I hope to have it side by side with an original Marathon soon.

Even with the best intention, most kids end up front facing around 1 year and 20 pounds and I suspect only a very few go beyond 2 years and/or 30 pounds. Obviously, for those kids/parents, a Radian XT is a great choice. For virtually everyone else, there are other factors just as important or more important that RF weight limits beyond 30-35 pounds.

Another thing, is that it fits many newborns from birth. Not all, but many.

The new Britax convertibles will have an insert that allows this, also. I hope to have one next month.

dhardawa

I would go with the Britax, but I'm not a fan of the Radian at all. It has its place in tight three across situations, but if I didn't need it specifically for the width, I'd go with Britax every time.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Now, see, I MUCH prefer my Radians for daily use over the Boulevard. But, they did fix some of the problems I had with the old Britax seats.

I just think we can't form much of an opinion on seats that have been completely redesigned on the basis of one review; we need to wait until multiple people have got hold of them and see what the NEW pros and cons are since they're so different.

Aurezalia

Britax are easier to install than the Radians, but I honestly still vastly prefer the Radians. Why pay as much for a car seat that has lower RF weight limits, is almost guaranteed to be outgrown by height well before weight, and doesn't last kids nearly as long as the Radian?
XTSL gets my vote.

Ladybugmomma

Thank you everyone. I am really enjoying reading everyone's opinion. My DD is 5 and only 40 lbs so the RF limit doesn't concern me either way as I'm sure the DD I'm expecting will be the same. DD who is 5 still fits in her marathon now.
I;m always interested in trying new things and the radian is a bit easier for me to access right now. Also more newborns fit in the radian however the review on carseatblog.org says the marathon70 is fine for a newborn and that was with a 20" doll. Mine have been no smaller then 22". And my U/S today at 30 weeks has he growing ahead so I know I won't be having a little one.
Still undecided.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC