Question need new carseats / boosters for 5 in Canada

ADS

LHarris

LHarris--you'll have to pick up at least some of the carseats prior to a tech coming out there, so they have something to work with. Right now you have 5, almost 6, children who need seats and only one usable seat among them.

I'll put this out there to the Edmonton-area techs--I will cover your fuel costs and lunch if you're brave enough to make the trek out to see the OP and her family and help them out with the seat situation.

-N.

Thanks, Nicole. It will be a while for sure. We are one income family and my hubby does not have a consistent income right now. We will not be running out to pick up 5 car seats right now. I'll keep you posted for sure.

I wouldn't mind more specific information on the car seats suggested though. Here's the links I'm looking at right now, at Amazon, just to get an idea. Even with the names I've been given there seems to be a lot of options.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Monterey-Booster-Seat/dp/B000YJ7G0O"]Monterey Booster[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Britax-Parkway-Slide-Guard-Booster/dp/B002BH3NEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1279567967&sr=1-1"]Britax Parkway[/ame]

Graco Nautilus

First Years Tru Fit

I hope that those links work.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Just so you know--the TrueFit is on sale at Zellers this week for, I believe, $159. That would work for your youngest two for quite a while yet... then with the CS down to the new baby, you'd be left with needing two highback boosters and something like the Nautilus with high harness height for your oldest harnessed child. It's a start. The other option is to do the best with the harnessed seats you have--get one that fits your oldest harnessed child, and purchase two boosters so at least everyone has seats.

The Cam wrap would only work in the actual bus seat, but since you're trying not to use that one and also because of expense the traditional seats are probably a better bet. You should be able to get all the seats you need for $700 and possibly not need anything again until those seats expire.

The ball is in your court as far as what you think you're able to start purchasing now... and even without boosters initially, I would rather see the older kids move into the l/s belts (which costs nothing but a little bit of time..) since they spread the forces more evenly than the lapbelts.

-Nicole.

LHarris

Just so you know--the TrueFit is on sale at Zellers this week for, I believe, $159.

The ball is in your court as far as what you think you're able to start purchasing now... and even without boosters initially, I would rather see the older kids move into the l/s belts (which costs nothing but a little bit of time..) since they spread the forces more evenly than the lapbelts.

-Nicole.

Thanks for the information. I will move everyone around for now and we'll purchase as we are able.

I have learned so much in such a short amount of time! My brain hurts. LOL! So glad the forum is here. I really appreciate your knowledge. I'll be back with more questions for answers as needed. :D

Very excited to go car seat shopping!

Thanks so much.

BudgieStew

Another seat that are currently on sale right now is the Monterey.
The Monterey booster(2009 model) is still on sale at Snugglebugz and Junior Baby for $99.00 if that is one of the seats you end up purchasing. With that many seats to buy a sale is great thing.

Good Luck.

LHarris

I have been given a couple of outdated booster seats for the older girls. They are now in the l/s belts. I love that the seat belts are now positioned properly. And they love the seats! I was really surprised that I have had NO fight with them about going back into booster seats.

What I don't like is that someone has to buckle the older girls now. They are unable to get the belts done up themselves.

DH is very insistent that we buy new as we can. And it looks like we will be looking for a new infant / combo seat for the new baby on Thursday.

Thanks for all your help and offers of seats. Once this baby arrives and my CCTB increases, the seats should not be long in coming.

babychild taxi

Hi-I would be concerned that 2 children are riding in outdated/expired boosters-this could put them at risk for injury in a crash. Also, it's most important that you know where the used boosters came from, if they were in an accident, dropped, etc.You can find low cost, new boosters at Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire (a new one just came out) for $25 or less. I'm sure there are other options/places too. Perhaps some friends/family can help you out to buy the seats you need either as a gift or a "pay back" plan. Your children's lives are worth it.

I'm sure that with some guidance/practice your girls will be able to do their boosters up with the seatbelt.

It is unfortunate that you did not take the offers of people on this site/board to provide you with carseats you need and even ship them to you.

I hope that you will be able to find a safe and timely solution to your carseat needs for the benefit of your children.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Be easy.. Better an expired, second-hand carseat versus none at all...especially in this case, being boosters versus harnessed seats. It's a start. :)

-Nicole.

babychild taxi

yes you are right in this situation...more gentle than normal for you though!! :)

I responed in a "direct" way due to my feelings and knowledge and also based on how others have responded in similar circumstances in the past. I apologize if I have upset anyone.

I have given the TF away, but will will continue to check out what's happening on this board.

K.

selinajean

I just wanted to double check that the boosters that you were given are high-back. I remember from earlier in this thread that none of the seats have head support, so I just wanted to verify that. :)

babychild taxi, I *think* that was one of the issues with boosters in this case. The low-cost $25 options are not a safe option here as they are all backless and the children would be left without any head support.

babychild taxi

makes sense, forgot there are no head supports in the vehicle. Hopefully something long term can be found. I'm sure there are many people here who can advise when the time is right. :)

LHarris

I just wanted to double check that the boosters that you were given are high-back. I remember from earlier in this thread that none of the seats have head support, so I just wanted to verify that. :)

babychild taxi, I *think* that was one of the issues with boosters in this case. The low-cost $25 options are not a safe option here as they are all backless and the children would be left without any head support.

yes, the boosters are high-back. Both girls heads are well below the tops of the seats.

LHarris

I get the feeling (sense) that you ladies are PASSIONATE about car seats. At first I felt very "put-upon" and "forced-upon". However, I guess I am learning about your passion. And that's great.

I am very glad that someone is passionate about car seats for our children, because there are so many of us that need to be educated. Please know that I am doing the best that I can with what I have and am working as quickly as I can toward the safest solution. The safest solution being everyone in current seats suitable for their size and weight, rear facing where necessary.

I really appreciate everything you've taught me already.

selinajean

I get the feeling (sense) that you ladies are PASSIONATE about car seats. At first I felt very "put-upon" and "forced-upon". However, I guess I am learning about your passion. And that's great.

I am very glad that someone is passionate about car seats for our children, because there are so many of us that need to be educated. Please know that I am doing the best that I can with what I have and am working as quickly as I can toward the safest solution. The safest solution being everyone in current seats suitable for their size and weight, rear facing where necessary.

I really appreciate everything you've taught me already.

You are already so far ahead of so many others out there. So many people know the information but just don't care. You really should be VERY proud of yourself for caring enough to take the time to think through all of this. I can see that you want the best for your children and you are working towards the safest solution for them. You're doing good! :thumbsup:

selinajean

And yes, we're all very passionate about this. On top of that most of the people here are straight shooters and don't tend to sugar coat serious matters so I appreciate that it can be a bit overwhelming. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC