Booster for a kid who hates headwings?

kater-tot82

DD is 7y5m, 48 inches, 48 lbs. She no longer wants to ride in her Regent, which at her age/size I'm okay with. However, we've been trying to do full-time boostering, and we've discovered how much she hates headwings.

She has a Turbo in the van and whenever she rides in it, she's always trying to lean forward and look out the windows, etc. I'm constantly looking in the rearview mirror reminding her to stay in place.

She rides in a Harmony LiteRider in DH's Jeep and we don't have that issue at all. She says she likes it "better" without the wings around her head. I asked her why she didn't like the wings, she said, "They just bug me, and I can't see as good." She never sleeps in the car so I'm not really worried about that aspect, more the safety aspect headwings can provide. I let her ride in a backless in our van for a 10-minute drive to daycamp and again, she did really well. FWIW, our minivan (her main vehicle she rides in) does have side-impact airbags.

So, I'm torn on what to do. Should I let her stay in the backless in both vehicles because she stays in position so well? It seems worse to have her leaning out of position and the distraction to me of making sure she's sitting up/back in the booster. Obviously safety is the #1 issue, but so is sanity...

WWYD?

ADS

lovinwaves

If she is ok with looking a bit out of the wing to look out the window I would keep her in a high back booster with wings. What's most important is her lap belt fit. If she is slightly leaning out of her booster I wouldn't worry to much.

If her shoulder belt is up high enough on her shoulder and even her neck she is just fine. I think it would also depend on just how far she is leaning out.

If she absolutely hates the wings I would put her in a backless in the MIDDLE seat of your vehicle only.

You can also try locking her seatbelt (if your belt has that option), although she may not like it and really get fussy over the wings.

sirrahn

Evenflo BigKid maybe? There is a deluxe model with EPS foam and the head wings are smaller. She's big enough that the lap belt fit may be ok.

I used to have one as a spare and it worked well in DH's car for all the kids I ever had ride in it. Do make sure the armrests are clicked down into the lower notches if you try it. IME leaving them up in the higher position definitely lets the lapbelt ride up too high.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC