Question Badly frayed after 1 washing, WWYD

kidnurse

I bought a CA at the BRU clearance sale, probably a week or so before the 4th of July. I have relaxed about washing things like car seat covers before use since my son is almost 2 now. So I just today washed it for the very 1st time and it frayed pretty badly in one corner.

Would you consider this "normal wear and tear" or should I try to take it back for an exchange?

ADS

rachelandtyke

I wouldn't take it back as it isn't the store's fault, but I would call the manufacturer of the seat to mention it and complain.

Did you follow the directions that they give for washing the cover? I think some are hand wash only, but I could be wrong. I would think a cover for a children's item should be able to be easily washed!

kidnurse

I got out the owner's manual and it is hand wash. Darn it. I looked at the tag on the cover before I threw it in the wash but it didn't say and I was too busy at the time to dig out the manual. Maybe I can keep it from fraying further with glue or something.

libranbutterfly

My MIL washed the cover for her AOE in the washer, and it fell apart. i called about it, and they said you arent supposed to wash it that way, we can send you a replacement this time, but dont do it again. So it may be worth it to still call.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Don't do that. It's not very nice to ask a company to pay for something that isn't their responsibility at all. :soapbox:

kidnurse

It is my fault for washing it in the machine against manufacturer's instructions. That being said, I really don't feel that hand washing can do a sufficient job with some of the messes you would expect to find on a car seat cover. I don't think it is their responsibility to replace it, but geesh this is a baby item, make it more user friendly, and durable.

ame0312

lots of car seat covers are hand wash only... i machine wash anyway & haven't had any problems yet... *crosses fingers*

kidnurse

This is the 1st problem I've ever had and I have always machine washed all my covers too. My washer is a portable one, the kind that hooks up to a faucet and drains in the sink or tub. It is almost as gentle as handwashing, I don't bother trying to get anything really dirty clean with it, then we just go to the laundry mat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC