Hand-foot-mouth Disease

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
So it seems like this is what Nolan has, and he's miserable... :( Sore throat, diarrhea, and general malaise. He didn't feel like getting out of bed, so I turned on the TV in our room for him. After awhile, he said to turn it off because he felt too bad, then he rolled over and whimpered...:( :(

Our pediatrician said he'll be miserable for a couple of days. Anyone else been through this and have any advice?

ADS

arly1983

Jackson had that last May. (I was 6 months pregnant). Jackson just took a bunch of tylonal. About the only things he would eat was warm soup, warm milk, warm watered down juice. When we first went to the doctor he was a little dehydrated and he suggested warm liquilites(sp) and thats what gave me the warm idea. Anything warm felt good to his poor throat. He was much better in about three days. Oh, yeah, its extremely contagious so watch yourselves. I hope Nolan feels better soon.

Suzibeck

Oh on! The poor little guy! I hope he feels better soon. We have never had this but I have heard it is miserable.

mommy2jana

Oh, poor Nolan!!! I've never had first hand experience....but I hear its miserable! I hope he feels better soon!!!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Thanks, everyone... He seems a little better. He definitely wants hot tea with honey alot but has managed to get down some yogurt. His spirits have definitely improved and we're watching "Nemo". :)

skaterbabs

BTDT
lots of fluids, motrin/tylonol for fever and pain as needed. There's not really much you can do.

broken4u05

I HAD IT. it is not fun at all. I was 17 and i got in from one of the day care kids that i worked with. I had blisters all in my mouth, on my hands and feet. I just was in bed with tea. It hurt to eat. I hope he feels better soon. I know that it is no fun. Does he have any blisters?

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
He doesn't seem to have blisters on his hands/feet - just in his mouth. And not that many - a few on the back of his throat and a few on the insides of his cheeks. I'm going to keep an eye on him, though, and keep checking for blisters/rash.

broken4u05

i think mine stared on my hands. I was really really scared because i had never even heard of it before when i got it. And the child i got it from i didnt know she had it. She was sick on day and didnt come back the next than i didnt work there again because it was the summer and i worked at the camp for the summer. Even now if i get a blister i am scared and watching myself for more. But i never get more than 1. Also my doctor said use salt water. do not drink it. I do not know how well that would work on a child but it helped me.

nikkilynn

Senior Community Member
Be careful. As an adult it's very rough to have. My Dh got it before we were married and it was really rough. I'm sure the normal wash your hands all the time would work, but I would check to see what precautions to take.

I hope he feels better soon!!!

Nikki

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'm sorry to hear that Nolan has Cocksackie virus! Not fun.

I used to work in a daycare center and was thus exposed multiple times to that virus. I didn't think you could get it more than once, but I was wrong. I got it several times. It was nasty! I only ever got blisters on my hands and a few in my mouth, but that was bad enough. It was miserable.

I hope Nolan feels better soon!

broken4u05

I got it really bad. And it was traning week at my camp. I tried to tell my head person that i was sick and i wanted to go to the doctor because i had never had anything like that before. A cold i can deal with. same with the stomach bug. But i didnt even know about this. Well she said yes but than the person above her (there was like 5 levels of people at this camp. It was crazy) she said i could not go because it was an important day. Well by thursday i was crying because i could not swallow talk and my hands hurt same with my feet. It did not help that i had to walk and i was an archery counsler and was rethreading bows most of the day. Anyways i was sent home and i went to the doctor and missed the next day. He said if they didnt go away by that sat i would also miss up to a week of camp. Well my head person cared after that. O i loved that camp when i went there but hated it when i worked there. No fun. They work you too hard. you had 11 hour days or more. Sorry little rant. Is he feeling any better?

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Yes, he's feeling much better... Thanks for asking!

We actually took him to the doctor b/c he had this "red band" across the back of his throat, from tonsil to tonsil. She said on the phone that was a sign of strep. :eek: So in we went. She cultured it, but the culture came back negative. She said it looked more like hand-foot-mouth to her, even without blisters on his hands/feet.

He felt fine, spent the afternoon/supper with his grandparents, and only cried when he insisted on having OJ which burned his throat... :( But he's back to his normal self. :)

broken4u05

Good i hope he stays better too. I hate it when kids are sick. They are so sad and they just dont understand why they hurt

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
...ooh nooo... Looks like I've got this thing :( Started all of a sudden with stomach issues a few hours ago and now the sore throat has settled in. DH is making me hot tea every ten minutes but he says he's starting to feel not-so-good as well. I guess it *is* very contagious after all. :(

arly1983

Oh, you poor, poor thing. They say it is right up there with chicken pox it is so contagious. Get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids. I hope Nolan is better.

JaRylan

Oh no, I think they say that it is actually more painful as an adult. Hope this passes quickly for all of you.

broken4u05

I never had it as a child but yes it hurt alot for me. I am soo sorry you got it. Wash your hand often. salt water helps too. WOW i wish you didnt get it it is a bad thing to have. HUGS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC