car seat checks

pj2rc

For the techs out there ...... how often do you do car seat check events? When not doing events, what are the other scenerios that you do checks? Just curious, because I have given some thought to looking into becoming a tech .. but it's nothing I would use in my job function. So, I'm not sure when I would do checks other than check events or for friends. I recently contacted our local safekids about setting up a check event in my area ... they said they have 1 already scheduled for this fall, so wouldn't schedule another until next April/May. I don't want to pursue being a tech to only do it 2x a year. I don't know whe/where they do the check events, but I truthfully have never been to one because I have never once heard about one to know when/where they are -- and I have actively tried to find one. So I don't know how the average Joe ever gets to the events. I had to use the State Police, Fire Dept and info from this site to do my installs. There was a nice man at a local dealerhip that was a tech, but he didn't do a great job, but he really tried hard! I think he said he only ever had me and 2 other people call him, so he dropped the certification.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I attend 1 car seat clinic a month plus two in Sept. I do private checks at least twice a week and sometimes teach classes or do safety events.

pj2rc

is it your primary job, or part of it? lol, I don't think I'm looking for that often - I do have to work and raise a family too!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I work a full time job and do volunteer fire fighter work also. I do not do seat checks for either of those, but I am willing to do seat checks on my lunch or after work.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm a SAHM. I do about one check event every 2-3 months on average (not with SK, because they don't really HAVE many out here; with another organization) but more some months, less others, they're grouped, that's an average. I do individual checks privately on weekends and evenings at people's houses or my house or public places, and sometimes in the afternoon at my house, for people who find me off the database (publicly listed), here, or through my business cards and flyers (I leave at the local USA Baby and such.) I'd say those average 2-3 a month.

pj2rc

Yikes! :D ok, joking aside, I'm actually glad you have that many people seeking your help to check the seats. I doubt I would experience that here. Based on the fact that safekids only does 2 events a year .... :whistle:

ETA -- I was writing at the same time at ketchupqueen ... note above was in response to Judi :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think our SK does one on average in a year.

There are other organizations out there though. I've been lucky enough to hook up with a great one. :) And techs can fulfill the public teaching requirement through either doing seat checks OR presentations to groups such as at libraries, baby stores, MOPS groups, etc.

pj2rc

what are some of the other organizations? I'd be interested to see if any are around here? I've only been able to locate safekids, so I'm doubting it. But maybe they'd be willing to do the seatcheck event I am tring to organize. Thanks!

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
I haven't done a check in about 9 mos. I would love to do one a month, but it hasn't worked out. Our Safe Kids does lots, but all are in the middle of the day on a weekday. I am a SAHM so that doesn't work for me. I need something later in the evening or on weekends. Plus, none are close. They are about a 20-30 min drive or more. I do private checks as needed for friends and others.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I do anywhere from 20-40 seats privately a month, and that number is generally increasing. I do one or two public checks a month. I'm slated to teach a class next month, and if that goes well then it'll turn into a monthly event. I've done presentations before for different groups. And I hang out here. :)

I'm actually spending enough time IRL doing checks that I am going to start charging. The people around me who seek me out can generally afford it.

Wendy

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I do about 6-8 checks a year. I live near two pretty active Safe Kids groups, and and could be more active if my schedule allowed it. (There's a monthly car seat check but it's on Wednesday afternoon, and I just can't do that.)

I don't do private seat checks often. I will for friends/family, but in general I feel that there's a finite amount of time that I can spend away from my family, and I'd rather maximize that by doing seat check events. :)

Angela

I do our monthly SK event and probably about 5 or so private checks a month. I've also done informational talks with several MOMS groups and am looking into asking at a few baby stores in town. I've also contacted a charity group in town that serves women and children. They're in the process of seeing if they can do some classes and maybe a few seat checks. I had the same issue when I first took the class... what/where do I use it? It isn't part of my job (SAHM), but I do it any chance I get.

Pixels

There is no SK coalition where I live, so I would have to drive an hour to get to a SK check. I do private check events whenever I care to schedule them. A local business (baby-related store) is constantly being asked about carseat checks, so they have reached out to area techs to provide. They connect customers with the techs and provide space for us (mostly parking lot space), handle all the appointments etc. Usually they have more people interested than they do appoinment slots. The last one was scheduled two days before the event, and was overbooked.

cookie123

I don't think there have been any checks at my BRUS this summer. I asked once when I was in there, too. I haven't gotten any email requests at all for any checks. I'm probably letting my certification go when it expires because I do nothing with it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC