My doggy

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
I have a very small dog (8lbs I'd guess) who really likes to try to sit on my lap while driving. He rides with me often and occasionally with kids in the car.

I want him as safe as possible. I'm looking at car harnesses but they all look like they are more for 'cute' than safety, any one have a recommendation of a really good product that will actually restrain him properly in a CRASH?

Thank you so much in advance.

ADS

Keeanh

Our dog had what was supposed to be a proper car harness. I kinda doubt this stuff gets properly crash tested, though. Sorry, can't remember the brand, although I bought it over 15 years ago so who knows if it even exists anymore. She passed away last year, so I'll have to go try to find it in the basement tomorrow.

ETA: It looked quite a bit like the harness PP has linked

PrairieGirl

I've seen these in Petsmart and thought it was a great idea.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3975659

You attach your dog's harness to this booster seat, and the booster seat is anchored to the car with your seatbelt. The dog gets an elevated view to see out the window too. I have also seen a dog kennel which has a "base" like an infant seat, where you can snap the kennel out and take it with you.
I haven't used these items personally, I've just noticed them out there and thought they would work well for smaller dogs.

I have a bigger dog and she has the Comfort Ride Travelin' Dog Harness like this one http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755199 and it works well for her. It's easy to use and she seems to not mind it at all.

Keeanh

Found it. It's a Hi-Craft, made in England. It was the best I could find back in '94 (pre-internet... how did we live??). I just googled it and it's discontinued. From the pictures, the Pet Buckle looks sturdier anyways.

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
Thanks every one! I like that booster so he could see but I have to squeeze him between 2 carseats..

I would love the pet buckle but it wouldn't adjust small enough for my pup.

I think I like the Easy Rider the other similar one has plastic buckles..but that one is only available in XL he needs XS, he is so tiny, lol.

lovinwaves

My 8lb dog rides in a soft sided kennel in the "well" of our minivan in the very back, OR he rides in a hard sided small kennel behind one of the front seats on the floorboard.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC