Chicco Keyfit Installation without the base?

Diznyfanatic

How hard is it to install a keyfit without a base? I was going to skip the infant seat but had one given to me so plan to use it. Now, I have to decide whether to get an additional base or just install it without one when it needs moved. Any input?

ADS

Louisa

CPST Instructor
how often would you use it?
would it always be you or someone else who is willing to learn how to do it safely every time?

generally i would go for the second base, but if it is like for you to take baby in grandmas car occasionally with you putting baby in car, or for safety minded dad (who will read and follow instructions) to use once and a while i might skip it.

Mae

It's fairly easy to install without the base. Do you have the Keyfit 22 or Keyfit 30? If you have the 22, you will need to pull the cover off the sides to make the belt path accessable. Other than that, all you do is thread the seatbelt through the slots, tighten, and lock the seatbelt. Make sure it's at an appropriate angle and you're good to go. It usually goes in pretty quickly. :thumbsup:

Now, if you're going to be using it baseless quite often (and in the same vehicle every time) you may want to think about getting a spare base and leaving that installed. The more often that you have to replicate an install, the more likely you are to make a mistake when installing it. You just have to be sure that you use the seat correctly every single time you install it. You also need to think about teaching other people who may transport your child how to use the seat correctly. Like I said, if it's going to be in the same vehicle often, it may be worth it for the extra base. The ultimate question though, is, is it worth it to fork out an extra $X amount of money when you can use it without the base? That's up to you.

Misty-Bug

It's fairly easy to install without the base. Do you have the Keyfit 22 or Keyfit 30? If you have the 22, you will need to pull the cover off the sides to make the belt path visable. Other than that, all you do is thread the seatbelt through the slots, tighten, and lock the seatbelt. Make sure it's at an appropriate angle and you're good to go.

I don't own a keyfit but have a friend who does. Why do you have to pull the cover off to make the path visible? There are holes where the top plastic part goes through in the fabric.....

Mae

I don't own a keyfit but have a friend who does. Why do you have to pull the cover off to make the path visible? There are holes where the top plastic part goes through in the fabric.....

There are holes for the beltpath for the Keyfit 30, but not the 22. I'm not sure why.

Keyfit 22 (Click photos to enlarge):

Last edited:

Misty-Bug

There are holes for the beltpath for the Keyfit 30, but not the 22. I'm not sure why.

Keyfit 22 (Click photos to enlarge):

interesting.

The Canadian KFs have holes for the beltpath in the cover. They are the 22s. We don't have the 30s here.

yeah that is what I was thinking of. Thought the covers were the same in the 22 and the 30. Like I said, I don't own one. lol. my bad. I would almost change the cover if mine didn't have it! lol.

amyd

Here's the current Canadian model at TRU. It's hard to see, but if you look on the right side of the pic, you can see where there's a spot in the cover to allow access to the beltpath.

Misty-Bug

Here's the current Canadian model at TRU. It's hard to see, but if you look on the right side of the pic, you can see where there's a spot in the cover to allow access to the beltpath.

yeah that is what I was talking about. It is there but not obvious. OP is there a slot?

Mae

Either way, Original Poster, it's relatively easy to install the Keyfit without the base. Don't let the cover sway your decision about buying an extra base. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC