Road tirp with 6 kids in Odyssey

stephcali

Road trip with 6 kids in Odyssey

So my friend and I are contemplating a crazy road trip from SoCal to Texas next month. It is not definite yet, but I thought I'd ask on here to see if it would even be possible to fit all 6 kids in my '08 Odyssey with the current car seats we have.

Ages and aprox weight of kids (all girls, not that it matters :))

5 - 40lbs very mature for her age, I would feel OK with her in a booster (not my child though)
3.5 (mine) 47lbs
3 - 30lbs
2 (mine) 35lbs
17 months - 25lbs
4 months (mine) - 16lbs

The seats we have are, booster (I believe it is a Turbobooster), Frontier, Radian XTSL, 2 Marathons (1 with 33lb RF limit), Roundabout, Scenera, Chicco KF30, Snugride 22, and I think my friend also has the EB 3 in 1 seat that she doesn't use anymore.

So my inital thought is to have the 5 year old in a booster in the middle row and my baby in the snugride baseless also in the middle row so that we can access the 3rd row easier. Then I thought maybe we could have both the snugride and the keyfit baseless in that row and accomplish the same thing and harness the 5 year old (really I do feel comfortable with her in a booster though).

But then I'm not sure who would fit the best in the 3rd row, I'm thinking the Radian will have to go back there, possibly with the scenera and the roundabout? I would prefer to keep my 2 year old (well she'll almost be 2 on the trip) RF, but I would also be OK with her FF since we only have one seat that she can RF in and it might work better FF.

So any thoughts about configuring this?

Last edited:
ADS

Evolily

I would plan on harnessing the 5 y/o, just for comfort reasons.

I would try having your 3rd row all RFing, so you can load through the rear hatch- probably putting the 3 y/o, 2 y/o, and the 17 mo back there. And then having the 3.5 y/o, 5 y/o, and 4 month old in the middle row. My thought is a scenera/radian/roundabout would be most likely to fit in the 3rd row.

natysr

I don't have an Odyssey and have no experience installing in one, but I will comment on the 5 yo in a booster.

I am currently on a roadtrip with my family. We started out in San Jose, CA, and are currently in Texas...as of right now we are somewhere on I-10.

My son will be 6 years old next month. He is booster trained, but I chose to have him ride in a harnessed seat for this trip. Maturity aside, he is so much more comfortable harnessed. He hasn't whined at all in the car since we've been on our trip. At home, when he is in his booster, he is constantly asking "are we almost there?". He hasn't asked that yet. He's been able to nap comfortably too. So I would definitely recommend a 5 year old remained harnessed on a long trip.

stephcali

My son will be 6 years old next month. He is booster trained, but I chose to have him ride in a harnessed seat for this trip. Maturity aside, he is so much more comfortable harnessed. He hasn't whined at all in the car since we've been on our trip. At home, when he is in his booster, he is constantly asking "are we almost there?". He hasn't asked that yet. He's been able to nap comfortably too. So I would definitely recommend a 5 year old remained harnessed on a long trip.

The comfort part is a good point, I'm sure all of the kids will be sleeping at some point during the trip. And I'm sure her mom won't mind her being harnessed either, they just recently made the transition to booster. Thanks!

stephcali

I would try having your 3rd row all RFing, so you can load through the rear hatch- probably putting the 3 y/o, 2 y/o, and the 17 mo back there. And then having the 3.5 y/o, 5 y/o, and 4 month old in the middle row. My thought is a scenera/radian/roundabout would be most likely to fit in the 3rd row.

How easy is it to load kids in from the back really? I had thought about that as well. I'm sure we will be trying to not get all the kids out as much as we can since no matter where we put everyone it will be a pain. I do not think that the 3 year old will RF though. She hasn't been RF'ing since she was 1, but the mom does still have the 17 month old RF since she met me :thumbsup:

Evolily

How easy is it to load kids in from the back really?
I've heard people say it's easy, and other people say it's hell. I'd imagine it's not harder than loading FFing kids into the 3rd row. I'd put your RFing kids in the 3rd row for a couple days to practice and see if you like it.

I do not think that the 3 year old will RF though. She hasn't been RF'ing since she was 1, but the mom does still have the 17 month old RF since she met me :thumbsup:
She might surprise you :) but if it won't work, it won't work- forward facing 3 y/o's aren't something I'd make a big deal about.

emtb79

I find it is easiest for me to install the Radian in the outboard driver side in the third row. Then put the Marathon on the middle, scenera passenger outboard.The scenera can be RF or FF. I have done this setuo before

Second row:

Frontier/RF Roundabout/Keyfit

I have tossed the kids in the 3rd row for 3 weeks day in day out and I found no problem and the kids were quite comforatable.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
How easy is it to load kids in from the back really? I had thought about that as well. I'm sure we will be trying to not get all the kids out as much as we can since no matter where we put everyone it will be a pain. I do not think that the 3 year old will RF though. She hasn't been RF'ing since she was 1, but the mom does still have the 17 month old RF since she met me :thumbsup:

It depends on your vehicle. Have you ever tried it in yours? It might be difficult with the well back there... My van (Safari) was a nightmare the one time I tried it, but in my Pilot we regularly use loading through the hatch. It's my fifth door. :) To avoid having to flip the second row on a road trip, I might take a handful of hatch-loadings, though.

How much luggage will you have? Will you be able to frequently open/step into the hatch?

As far as turning the 3yo RF, I bet she'd be willing to do it, if her mom doesn't object. I frequently put kids RF in my car, aged 2-4, who have RF'd from age oneish. Especially if you point out that she can see more out the back window!

In any event, I'd plan a day (few hours) with your friend and all of the seats, at some point before the trip. That way you can figure out what works. And from somebody who puts six kids in six backseats... good luck!

stephcali

I find it is easiest for me to install the Radian in the outboard driver side in the third row. Then put the Marathon on the middle, scenera passenger outboard.The scenera can be RF or FF. I have done this setuo before

Second row:

Frontier/RF Roundabout/Keyfit

I have tossed the kids in the 3rd row for 3 weeks day in day out and I found no problem and the kids were quite comforatable.

Good to hear someone who actually does this on a regular basis :) How do you get to the 3rd row with that set up? Is the seat with the Keyfit able to move forward with the Roundabout next to it? And in the 3rd row is the Radian and Marathon RF or FF? Thanks!

emtb79

I have not attempted a RF seat in the 3rd row. But if I get my 2 daycare infants Im going to have to figure it out.

My kids that sit in the back 3 boys 2,4,5 and with all 6 seats filled I would instruct them to put their arms up and "be a board". Then I would pick them up at their armpits and waist. Then I would put the feet first into the backseat. Then they would put their arms in the straps and I would lean over a buckle.

Taking them out I would unbuckle and have them stand on the end of the seat and I would pull them back out the way I put them in and with the 4 and 5 year olds I would have them push off with their feet so I wasnt pulling dead weight.

The seats with the Plus one in the middle will not move forward but I vaguely remember I could fold the outboard seat if a car seat wasnt in it. If you look at my profile I will be putting some of my pictures of setups of my seats in the 3rd row past and present.

christineka

I've heard people say it's easy, and other people say it's hell. I'd imagine it's not harder than loading FFing kids into the 3rd row. I'd put your RFing kids in the 3rd row for a couple days to practice and see if you like it.

On a road trip, that back is going to be packed with stuff, unless you are pulling a trailer. I, personally would not be able to lift kids or buckle them from the back over our piles of stuff. When we go on vacations, I don't even like to open the back before getting to our destination because something might fall out.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yep, which is why I asked this --

How much luggage will you have? Will you be able to frequently open/step into the hatch?

Depending on how the families pack, it may or may not be an issue. I helped pack one of my families (two adults/three kids) into their Ody for a week's vacation, and including the dog cage they STILL could have loaded through the hatch.

My vacations? We not only pack the trunk but have soft backpacks between people, on the floor, on laps... lol. Not ideal, but I'm being honest here. :eek:

stephcali

We will try and pack as light as possible (if that is possible with all those kids!) So most likely the back won't be too full.

I really like all this input! I'll have to talk to my friend and see what she thinks, but she'll probably just tell me to figure it out :)

I know the 5 year old and my 3.5 year old are able to buckle themselves (I just have to tighten it down all the way once she's buckled everything). So that should help a lot if we end up putting them in the back. I think I'm leaning toward using the Snugride and Keyfit baseless in the 2nd row to be able to get to the 3rd row. And probably putting my 2 year old in the 2nd row as well. I guess the problem with that is that the Radian is the only seat she can RF in (since she's just shy of 35lbs naked) and I'm pretty sure I'll have to put the Radian in the 3rd row. I'm also not sure if my 3.5 year old can still fit in the Marathon. She was getting pretty close to the top harness slot a few months ago. So if that is the case then the only seats she can sit in would be the Frontier or the Radian. So I guess I could put the Frontier in the 2nd row with the 2 infant seats and put my 2 year old RF in the 3rd row. Hmmm, I really just need to get all the seats out to try it out I guess :)

Mommypooh

We will try and pack as light as possible (if that is possible with all those kids!) So most likely the back won't be too full.

I really like all this input! I'll have to talk to my friend and see what she thinks, but she'll probably just tell me to figure it out :)

You can always pack most of the stuff under the 3 RF seats to leave the hatch with less stuff to step on or over. Use space under seats as well. You can put coolers under FF kids feet as a foot rest to keep complaining about legs to a min.

stephcali

You can always pack most of the stuff under the 3 RF seats to leave the hatch with less stuff to step on or over. Use space under seats as well. You can put coolers under FF kids feet as a foot rest to keep complaining about legs to a min.

The cooler under the FF kids is a great idea! Thanks!

MySillyKids

3 across in the back isn't going to work very well. 3 radians (smallest carseats, on the market) don't fit back there 3 across, forward facing. I have gotten forward facing Radian, RF radian, and FF radian in the back row, but it was HARD, it took THREE of us to do it (two techs, and myself)

I think you'll be hard pressed getting 3 back there with anything else.

Right now in the back of my '05 ody, i have a frontier, and a Radian. There's NO SPACE for another seat. at. all.

I can't imagine getting 6 kids in an ody, properly restrained. :twocents:

emtb79

3 across in the back isn't going to work very well. 3 radians (smallest carseats, on the market) don't fit back there 3 across, forward facing. I have gotten forward facing Radian, RF radian, and FF radian in the back row, but it was HARD, it took THREE of us to do it (two techs, and myself)

I think you'll be hard pressed getting 3 back there with anything else.

Right now in the back of my '05 ody, i have a frontier, and a Radian. There's NO SPACE for another seat. at. all.

I can't imagine getting 6 kids in an ody, properly restrained. :twocents:

It can be done I have done it with many different car seats. However the Frontier can be in the backseat as part of the equation of the 3 seats in the 3rd row.

lovinwaves

It can be done I have done it with many different car seats. However the Frontier can be in the backseat as part of the equation of the 3 seats in the 3rd row.

Hi Susan, I am very curious to hear what your car seat configurations have been. The Odyssey is very well known for having a smaller 3rd row. Also, were your seats checked by a Technician after installation?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC