3 Britax Across in a 2003 Ford Explorer.

swags

Does anyone know if this is possible? I am thinking no but one can hope right. I would need either 3 RF or 2RF and 1FF.

ADS

hrice

I am going to guess no. I had 2 Britax RF in my '06 Jeep Commander and a backless booster just barely fit next to them. There is no way another Britax would fit.

What seats do you have and what are the ages/weight/height of your children?

jaded

Unless they changed how wide the rear bench is, or more specifically, the width between the seatbelt and the buckle in the middle, then no. I couldn't get my RA50 to install rf or ff in the middle position in my husband's 2001 Explorer.

swags

Right now we have 2 RF in Graco My Rides. I know there is no way I can fit a third back there with these seats. We were looking at possibly getting the new Britax seats that are comming out soon if we like them but thinking that when babe gets here we wouldnt be able to fit a third.

DS is 2 1/2 almost 3 yrs. appx 28lbs and 36 1/2 in
DD is 14 mon appx 19lbs and 29 in
1 bean still on the way.

jaded

Can you get a hold of a Snugride 32? The SafeSeat 1 fit in the center like a dream, but then, I had a booster next to it(my kids are all 5-6 years apart)

I don't know how the Snugride would puzzle next to another seat either though.

canadiangie

Does anyone know if this is possible? I am thinking no but one can hope right. I would need either 3 RF or 2RF and 1FF.

Maybe. If you're really skilled at installing and know how to verify that each seat is installed independent of eachother.

The ff one would need to be in the middle, of course using the seatbelt to install.

The rf ones would need to be outboard, also using the seatbelt to install. The outboard seats would need to be positioned slightly towards the doors. When you close the doors the doors will touch the seats. They will not interfere with the seats, but they will skim.

I have an '03 Explorer and have managed to puzzle three Britax seats across, independently installed, but it was super tight, involving the outboard seats to be moved slightly towards the doors and of course I couldn't use LATCH to install.

It's doable, but not easy. And not something I would do on a permanent basis.

PHaley

I'd think before you scratch the MR off the list you can go to a store that allows you to try seats in your car and see if a radian will fit! I'd try all 3 rear facing. If not that then what about:
2 yr old in Radian/ 1 yr old in a CA LX/ nb in a OnBoard Air35 ?

Those are all supposed to be relatively narrow and would certainly be cheaper combo than 3 brand new Britax seats (my guess is $600 vs $900!)

Congrats on your growing family, hope you find a solution to your 3 across and great job ERF those toddlers :)

swags

Thanks for all the advise. There is a store about an hour from us that carries the Radian in stock I think I will go play with one. DH is worried about the lack of shell on the sides seperating the kiddos. No so much from a sefety standpoint but more about them bugging one another. The On Board was one of the infant seats that we were looking at already so maybe 2 Radian and a On Board.

aeormsby

IME - as long as their facing the same direction it's much harder to bug each other. I kept DD & DS side by side until I had to turn DD FF (at that point they were 3.5 & 1.5yo) after that the only way to keep them from constantly kicking each other was to separate them.

Good luck finding a solution for 3 across.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC