I have car seat fever...

wvmommy007

My dd was 14.5 lbs. and 25.5 inches yesterday at her 6 month check up. She rides mostly in her RN XTSL but has a Designer 22 for backup, use in other cars, etc. I'm already drooling over buying a back up seat for when the bucket is outgrown. I don't know how much it matters in a 6 month old baby, but she seems to be turning into a torso with stubs, like both of us parents. :p

We own an 06 Nissan Murano and an 03 Chevy Silverado regular cab that dd rarely rides in.

How necessary is an extra seat? DH will let me get what I want, but will tease me for being so excited about it. :) Also, how necessary is an extra XTSL cover? I also want that. Please justify it for me. :D

Now, assuming I need the extra cover and seat, please give me suggestions. Should I go mesh on the RN cover for a change? What seat would last us a while and not cost an arm and a leg? I want to RF her as long as possible. I could live with a Scenera, especially the new, much cuter, pink one at Walmart. Should I settle since its $39 or would the CA be the best choice? ;) I'd like something girly, but anything would be fine if I'm missing a good choice in a neutral color.

Lastly, I won't be buying anything until the bucket is outgrown. So if there are good choices yet to be released, I'd love to hear about those too. Britax is out of my price range for an extra seat, though.

The CCO is my dream seat, please don't talk me into it!

Sorry to write a novel. I'm just so excited to shop. Oh, the possibilites.

Last edited:
ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
This may not be a poplular opinion, but I'm of the mindset that children should be just as safe in their 'spare' as they are in the main ride. So, I don't usually pinch pennies when it comes to seats, regardless of how infrequently it's going to be used. That said, we do have Evenflo Maestro's as 'spares' vs Frontiers (like their main seats) for the twins. But these are the spares to the spares. ;) Their 2nd set of seats are a RN XT and a Britax DC. I keep a set of seats in 3 vehicles. LOL The baby has 2 DC's and 1 MA. Granted, they were passed down from the twins. ;)

Louisa

CPST Instructor
for a seat that is going in a regular cab truck i would want something with an ARB or RF tether, JMO
perhaps a radian65 or RA50?
i am sure the price on the old britax will drop when the new ones come out or you could get one on swap

wvmommy007

for a seat that is going in a regular cab truck i would want something with an ARB or RF tether, JMO
perhaps a radian65 or RA50?
i am sure the price on the old britax will drop when the new ones come out or you could get one on swap

What would you tether a RF seat to in a single cab truck? And I could use her current RN in the truck anyway. She's almost never in there. It would be more likely used in grandparent's cars. Some are older, some new enough for LATCH.

Louisa

CPST Instructor
i would tether to the seat track probably
like i said just my opinion :)
i have a radian as well and prefer not to move it if i don't have to

wvmommy007

i would tether to the seat track probably
like i said just my opinion :)
i have a radian as well and prefer not to move it if i don't have to

I didn't mean to sound rude, I'd just never thought about tethering in a truck. I think I also want something different than a RN. As much as I love mine, I want new toys to fiddle with.

I really want to spend as little as possible. I know dd would be just as safe in a Scenera as anything else, assuming proper use. I guess my priorities are safety, price, ease of use for people other than dh and myself, ability to fit multiple cars well, and ease of install by novices, in that order. I can always install for others since dd is rarely away from me for longer than a few hours and I don't work.

Please flood me with ideas and what about the extra cover? Do I *need* one? :)

wvmommy007

Is no one going to talk me into an extra seat and cover? I thought for sure you guys would convince me to shop! :)

Louisa

CPST Instructor
you could get a Britax, that RF tethers too.
Extra covers are never a necessity but they are convenient if your kid vomits on it or something, and some people like to switch it up and have something new sometimes.
If i had a girl i would buy the Flora in a heartbeat, but if you are looking for something more neutral i would buy ventura

hth

melniemi

Extra covers are great - if for nothing else than switching things up once in a while. The Flora is definitely a must have:p

I am going to get a new Britax when they come out - it'd be a great option for your back up seat since they are so easy to install - or a reg Britax on clearance when the new ones come out.

Happy shopping!

wvmommy007

I'm liking the pink and black CA walmart has. Thoughts on those?

And what about the TFP? Is the anti rebound bar equivalent to a rf tether? Or is it better?

Glad I have a few months to think it over.

Louisa

CPST Instructor
Doh! i forgot about the TFP, that would be a great choice. as for ARB vs. tether, they both do the same job in a different way, either is great.
I like the cover on the pink and black CA but i am not a big fan of that seat, BUT i know a lot of other people who love it. It's just not my favorite to instal etc.

NannyMom

I assume in the truck, there'd be a window immediately opposite the rear facing seat? If so, I'd prefer to see something with an anti-rebound bar or rear facing tether. Even if that means putting the Radian in there. Th True Fit Premiere would be a nice seat as well. For the other cars, the True Fit Premier and Complete Air would last longer than a Scenera. But a Scenera would last a few years and you could reapproach purchasing a new seat then, if needed.

amyd

I'd also want something with ARB for a truck, so I'd probably go with the True Fit Premier. For me, an extra cover for my seats is a must, especially since my son has potty trained:p I have Flora & Nitro for our XTSL & Misty Morning & Sporty Blue for our TF.

Jocey'sMommy

extra covers are worth it, especially if you wash frequently (like I do lol) between vomit, spills, and potty training I def think you should get an extra cover if you can!!! I also agree with the ant-rebound bar or tether suggestion in the back of a truck. Since this is a seat that will move around a lot I would def buy a seat that you think you can install easily every time in every vehicle (which is why I think the Britax seats keep popping up in this thread ;) ) Target has a very cute deco sqared Marathon on sale online right now for $199 which I would soooo buy if I didn't already have two Britax seats. I also really like the TruFit but don't like their covers right now. The reg CA are a pain(I tried one recently) but I think the lx model or the se model would be alot easier to deal with because of the 5 position base. I like the coccoro but I would only buy one for a newborn so I could get my $$$ out of it. I also like the MyRide 65 and they have some very cute girly covers and are pretty easy to install but neither the CA or CC or MR have rebound or RFing tether options :(

Louisa

CPST Instructor
Since this is a seat that will move around a lot I would def buy a seat that you think you can install easily every time in every vehicle (which is why I think the Britax seats keep popping up in this thread ;) ) :(
Yep :) i am generally not a big Britax recommender but with the truck glass and frequent movement they might be my go to.
Although the TFP seems like a good option too. Especially if the child is long and thin.

wvmommy007

Does dd seem long and thin, and thus a good match for the TFP, based on the info in my 1st post? I know she's tiny compared to other babies close in age. And she seems especially light, but has a long torso compared to her leg length. She was 4 lbs. 9 oz. at birth, so she'll probably always seem tiny and fragile to me, despite her new thunder thighs. :) She's on the second slot in her RN and the Designer 22.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC