oh my mom!

Jenny

my MOM is doing terribly with car seat safety. I wanted to think about putting my daughter in a booster in her car but it is going to have to wait until my daughter can buckle and tighten the belt completely herself!
I know she just wont tighten the belt or put it through the correct way.

Just last night I went to pull the GNs out of mom's car as she was going awayfor a trip. When I leaned over on dd seat, the seat moved with me -- seatbelt not locked (since July 4 apparently!!!!). Mom was going to take it out herself thinking that she and her friends would take her car, but when she couldn't get the top tether off she simply buckled the belt back in without locking the belt and never telling me. Then for the last two weeks she has brought my kids to and from camp. In fact, she feigned innocence untll I told her we'd need to bring the car to the dealer then that day to get the belt checked b/c it was obviously broken if it was unlocking by itself!

my mom knows better -- she has seem me in snow storms, heat waves and thunderstorms fighting with those belts to get those seats tight arggh!

anyone else have a similar story?
Jenny

ADS

tjham

I don't have a similar story but I sympathize with you about her not understanding how important it is to have the seats installed properly.

Good Luck. I hope you can finally get through to her.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I am angry for both of you. But I am wondering what became of your seat and if you knocked your sister out, like I would've? :)

Have never seen the seat since... :confused:

Though I did force my sister into "bringing me lunch" at my tech class seat check... and "oops" made her gets her seats checked in her van. They confiscated 2 of her 3 seats! (One had been mine, but they took it because she didn't have the owners manual or registration card in her name)

She was oober embarrassed and that was good enough for me!!! LOL (And now the kids are safe(r)!!!)

aeormsby

Though I did force my sister into "bringing me lunch" at my tech class seat check... and "oops" made her gets her seats checked in her van. They confiscated 2 of her 3 seats! (One had been mine, but they took it because she didn't have the owners manual or registration card in her name)

She was oober embarrassed and that was good enough for me!!! LOL (And now the kids are safe(r)!!!)

OMG - nicely done.

wvmommy007

:ROTFLMAO:
That's great!

Chely7425

That is awesome :D

ntrenary

My mom never uses the locking retractor, so I showed her how to use latch thinking she couldn't go wrong. One day when I went to check the seat she had it buckled in w/ latch but only had one side of the latch buckled in! When I asked her about it she said "oh I couldn't get the other side connected so I thought that was good enough".
She probably drove around w/ my niece in that car seat for a week before I was able to check it.
I finally gave up and gave her a booster because even though my niece is a small 4 year old she's much safer in a booster that's used right everytime, than a car seat that was never buckled in right.
My mom was in a bad car accident a couple weeks ago with my niece in the booster, someone turned left on a red arrow right in front of her, my mom was going around 45mph before she hit the other car. All I could think was thank goodness my niece was in a booster, if she was in a seat who knows what would've happened.

tjham

They confiscated 2 of her 3 seats! (One had been mine, but they took it because she didn't have the owners manual or registration card in her name)

This puzzles me.
They can do that? I keep my owner's manuals at home.
And how did they know it wasn't registered in her name?
I have a few seats I haven't registered yet.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
This puzzles me.
They can do that? I keep my owner's manuals at home.
And how did they know it wasn't registered in her name?
I have a few seats I haven't registered yet.

They asked her if she was the original owner, she said "No they are my sister's seats". The tech knew she is my sister, knew that I got them new, BUT

This police department has extra seats that they must use, in order to get their next grant, they have to prove that they have used so many from the last grant etc... so they were readily available...

Their theory was, what if she and I got into a fight, I have the manual and it is registered to me, there is a recall... I am p/o'd at her, so even though the manufacturer sends me the recall repair, I don;t give it to her and the seat remains dangerous for the kid.

I asked cuz I was PISSED that they took and cut up MY seats!!! I then understood the reason. :thumbsup:

ETA: One was one I bought her, one was one of mine replaced a few years ago by the police for an expired seat...

Last edited:

Jenny

wow jourdy's mom -- that is pretty awful too.

My mom just thinks that I am way over the top when it comes to car seats. If its mostly alright, its alright -- it sounds like your mom subscribes to the same logic.

enough about bad installs there is one good install (RAs) that I did see will forever be etched in my mind..........

and is my alltime favorite use for 2 very well installed car seats, were that they created a nice snug pocket in the middle seat for what else other than the red plastic gas can all filled up and ready for the lawn mower.:eek:

When I saw that container wedged and the woman;s explanation for why she'd put gasoline between her two kids, well , it was the last playdate we had with that family!

corrielainedd

I feel bad for you!! I dont have issues with my parents, or my inlaws.... But my SIL.... put my neice FF at 11months... she thought rfing with her feet on the seat looked uncomfortable, so she put her ffing.... This was before I knew much about car seat safety (luckily DD was only a few months old, and from pics... it looks like I was doing everything right:2thumbsup:)

My parents live in CO (im in KY), and when we come to visit, mom will put the seat in the car, but lets me do the installing. As she knows she doesnt know what shes doing (even though ive showed her), and wants DD to be safe! Both mom and dad want instruction each time we visit (or vise versa), to make sure they remember how to strap her in right, and tight enough:love:

My inlaws, though DD rarely rides in their car (normally, we all ride together in our car), they are good about it too.
My MIL wanted me to go with her to pic out a convertable seat, once DD was out of her infant seat. So I got my choice (went inexpensive, but to my standards):thumbsup: And made sure to explain what I was looking for and why. They bought it too:D

Ive showed both how to install it in both of their vehicles. Though I usually install it if they are taking her anywhere. They both are great at making sure the straps are tight, and the chest clip is in the right spot. :thumbsup:

If my mom (or MIL), did car seat things like some of yours....:mad: My only remark (maybe...) would be "If you dont want to respect my car seat requirements and requests, then Im assuming your grandchild's safety doesnt matter to you. There for they dont matter to you enough for us to come visit any more." or something like that...:twocents::whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC