The new Britax seats

melniemi

I didn't have internet for a month and I'm thinking I missed some discussions on these. Someone mentioned that the shell is shorter? True? Can you use the BLVD rfing to top of headrest? or top of shell? How tall are they in comparison to the ma?

Thanks

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Is it really shorter, or does it just appear so because of the redesigned base? One of Britax's big push on the redesigned seat was that the seat now sits lower (closer to the vehicle seat) due to the new base. That will give the illusion of a shorter seat, without actually shortening the shell. Because quite frankly, that would be car seat suicide!!

featherhead

Is it really shorter, or does it just appear so because of the redesigned base? One of Britax's big push on the redesigned seat was that the seat now sits lower (closer to the vehicle seat) due to the new base. That will give the illusion of a shorter seat, without actually shortening the shell. Because quite frankly, that would be car seat suicide!!

They took actual measurements. It's like an inch shorter or something.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Overall height may be shorter because of the new base, but that doesn't mean the shell portion of the seat was actually reduced. Is it possible that it just sits lower in the new base? They still list the same measurements for torso height. I don't see how they could do that if it were truly made smaller.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Who lists the same measurements? The ones I saw said that some torso height was lost, I think. Also, there was always a lot of shell over the top of the head from the top slots, it could easily be reduced and keep similar slot heights. The actual inside-the-seat measurements showed that it was a bit shorter.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I just looked at Britax's website, and they say the MA has a seated height of 16" and the MA70 has 16.75". So you actually gain room in the new seat (according to Britax).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
http://carseatblog.com/?p=6494
Really, the blog is good....

I've never really trusted Britaxes measurements, I suspect they are saying the top slots are lower than they are so that people don't measure their kid at 17 and buy a Marathon, and then wonder why there's *no growing room*, kwim? Better to state a lower seated height so that prospective consumers get a more reasonable estimation of lifespan (not to mention torso measuring isn't very exact, best to give folks some wiggle room there, too).

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
FWIW, I get more room in the DC then I do in the MA. They are supposed to be based on the same shell, but I do get a different fit, always have. I don't know if it's the cover, or what. So it's not suprising to me that they don't have as much room in the MA70 as they do in the DC. That is my experience w/the current models.

Thanks for the link though, I hadn't seen the pics w/the kiddo...just the seat and it's too hard to judge it like that. The model does help.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You know what I wonder about the DC versus the MA? Is it something to do with the extra crotch strap positions? If it's further out, does it allow the kid to *shrink* down more? Same with the closer in crotch strap for newborns pushing babies up so they reach the bottom slots sooner.

Just making me go hmmmm (I think safeinthecar gave me the idea with regards to the Radian lasting longer despite the same measurements, I have to give her credit).

Mags462

Okay i missed the part 2 blog post until now... and looking at the pics of the different reclines if #3 is the only one you can use RF my kids will NOT be having that. My LO's don't appreciate laying down while driving :p It's why we're anti MR65 ;)

Of course i could have misread the post..... :whistle:

Maedze

Okay i missed the part 2 blog post until now... and looking at the pics of the different reclines if #3 is the only one you can use RF my kids will NOT be having that. My LO's don't appreciate laying down while driving :p It's why we're anti MR65 ;)

Of course i could have misread the post..... :whistle:

You're going to get that excessive recline when the seat is on a flat surface. The original Britaxes look like that on the floor too :p

The original can easily be installed upright while in the mechanically reclined position. I'm sure the blogger will soon show us pictures of the seat installed rear facing in various angles.

(Right? Right?!)

kidzndogz

ICan you use the BLVD rfing to top of headrest? or top of shell?

Thanks

We'd know that if Britax would answer the damn question when they were asked on FB. :mad:

My guess is no, and they are scared to say so after all of the people posting saying, "well I hope the headrest counts, other wise Britax is pretty stupid for shrinking seats and now I'm going to buy a Radian." :p

Maedze

We'd know that if Britax would answer the damn question when they were asked on FB. :mad:

My guess is no, and they are scared to say so after all of the people posting saying, "well I hope the headrest counts, other wise Britax is pretty stupid for shrinking seats and now I'm going to buy a Radian." :p

I'll post another howdy, hey, we're still here and wondering on monday morning.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC