Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Safety 1st Uptown Specs?

We are trying to decide what convertible to get for our newborn DD. Right now she's in a Combi infant seat, but I hate it and want her in a convertible. She is about half an inch from the bottom slot of her sister's MA. We want to get the new Recaro seat for both girls when they come out, so we need a seat for the interim. We have considered a Radian (I'm concerned it will eat up the passenger legroom) and a BV (don't think it will fit next to DD1's MA), plus we don't want to drop that much $$ for a seat we only need for a few months. I was thinking about the Uptown. We have a brand new Scenara we hate hate hate. Is the Uptown less "cheap" feeling? What is the width? We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with DD1's MA RF passenger side outboard, and would like DD2's seat to be able to fit next to it, in the center seat. We have a Babies-R-Us but it's an hour away, so I want to make sure I know all of my options before I drive 2 hours with 2 kids to try seats in the car .

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Safety 1st Uptown Specs?

The Uptown is about the same overal size as the Scenera, with the same weight limits R & FF. Te top harness slots are slightly taller, it is better padded with a nicer cover.

You may want to try it first, though. When RF the harness adjuster is a little hard to access.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Senior Community Member broken4u05's Avatar

I also think that is uptown is very soft. I liked it
    Kristina- Nanny to Jack and Drew now 3 years old Not a mother yet.

I don't think you're going to find it at Babies'R'Us. Currently, it is available at a few select Wal-Marts, online at Target (not in Target stores), and at one other place online (in beige, not blue)... Hope this helps - I'd hate for you to drive to BRU and find out they don't have it

DS|2002|FF in Britax Frontier 85 and Graco TurboBooster
    DD|2007|FF in two Britax Frontier 85's

CPS Technician

the base is much wider the the scenera, when i have the uptwon in the middle my ds can't buckle his seat belt at all he's almost 7 and has been buckling himself since about 4 y/o (before i found this site and all the CPS info ect) but when the scenera is next to it then he can easily buckle quickly. since you don't have 3 across then it won't matter, but the seat is definally nicer the scenera, much more padded, w/ sholder/harness pads, but the sholder area is much more narrow thent he scenera b/c of all the padding...
    Becky CPS Tech, driver of '05 Quest, and Mama to
    DS 8y 6m (51.5" 61# torso 20") Backless Turbo and parkway
    DD 6y 4m (47" 42.5# torso 16") Parkway and Radian F/F
    DD 4y 1m (42" 35# torso 15") Marathon F/F

So it probably won't fit next to a MA? Rats. Good to know it's nicer than the Scenera

I guess I will call around to see if anyone has it! Thanks

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMom View Post
    I don't think you're going to find it at Babies'R'Us. Currently, it is available at a few select Wal-Marts, online at Target (not in Target stores), and at one other place online (in beige, not blue)... Hope this helps - I'd hate for you to drive to BRU and find out they don't have it
    Just to point out-Target's website states that it is tan, but in fact, when I ordered it for a friend, it arrived and was blue. I don't think they make it in tan.