Car seat sightings for the day

christineka

First of all, I noted that everyone's vehicles are dirty around here. I wash my windows at the gas station and an hour later they are filthy again. It can be difficult to look into vehicles when the sun is at the wrong position and the tinted windows are covered in dirt. Anyway, I saw a rfing britax convertible. I didn't see the baby get in, so I hope it's an older baby. Most people around here go from infant seat to ffing seat. That van had some nice looking high back boosters in the back. The next van (went to a kid event, so lots of vans and suvs.) had a ffing scenera in it. The harness was in the second slots. Either a tiny baby was ffing or they had the harness too low. The first van was one commonly refered to as a "death trap" the second is the one that tops the charts for safety. I thought that was interesting.

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Looking in cars makes me want to vomit. LOL The other day at daycare, a grandpa was picking up a new kiddo. He was 2ish. He put him in the single cab truck (no car seat w/airbags), put the seat belt on him, put the shoulder belt behind him and drove off. Sigh.

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??

hrice

I saw a family with a 2 year old in a LBB. He was out of his seat already when they were pulling into the parking space.:( Made me sad.

But...the other day at BRU there was a woman looking at the convertibles and looking very confused so I asked her if she needed help. Her child was 9 mos, 25 pounds and about 32 inches tall. She already knew about ERF:Dand was looking for a seat that would keep the baby RF for a long time. I reccomended the Complete Air to her for height since her baby is tall. She said she had tried it and it didn't fir so I told her about installing it more upright and showed her how. She and her husband were very thankful for the input.

AtTheSouthDam

I saw a Subaru with TWO RF seats recently. They pull up next to me and what do I spy? An infant and a child who was at least 2 years old! I wanted to follow them and tell them how cool they were :)
So, RF toddlers and coccoro with RN in Subarus. I wonder if it is a trend?

glockchick

At school I saw a horribly expired Century something or other "installed" forward facing. They had somehow managed to get the car's belt through the carseat strap holes. :eek:

I didn't see any straps in the seat itself, but I suppose they could have been stuck under the car belts.

I spent 5 minutes staring in that car trying to figure out how they even managed to get it in that way. It seems a lot harder than doing it right. :confused:

Chely7425

The other day we were at some to do on post and saw a family get our of an suv... they had 3 carseats in it, which I guess is a start... but the oldest (maybe 4-5) was in a LBB, the middle (I would guess 3-ish) was in a Scenera that he was DEF too tall for and the baby (and I do mean baby, he wasn't walking and looked to be about 10 months) was FF in some OLD car seat with an over the head shield! DH had to stop me from saying something to them...

Keeanh

At school I saw a horribly expired Century something or other "installed" forward facing. They had somehow managed to get the car's belt through the carseat strap holes. :eek:

I didn't see any straps in the seat itself, but I suppose they could have been stuck under the car belts.

I spent 5 minutes staring in that car trying to figure out how they even managed to get it in that way. It seems a lot harder than doing it right. :confused:

Once upon a time, my mom showed up with one of my children in her Century Breverra Combo seat. She had always used it properly before, but I guess it had been uninstalled and she couldn't remember how to get it back in. So she buckled the child into the harness, then buckled the seatbelt over everything. Fortunately LO was big enough that the seatbelt was across the right places, so I guess it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

I tried to be tactful and told her, in an exasperated tone, "Mom... safety equipment... you have to use it properly. You should have phoned me. You're too young to be doing "senile" things like that. And when you ARE senile, you'd better not be driving yourself, never mind my children." Fortunately I don't have to worry about that kind of thing any more because she doesn't have ANY seats and just takes my van (we live 5 hours away, so visits are infrequent). MIL is another story. I'm sure at some point I'm going to have to deal with her seats. Just knowing her, I know there's no WAY hers are correct in all regards. Fortunately she's also 5 hours away. When we lived closer, years ago, I kept having to fix her installs. I'd bet money that she still has the same seats.

scoutingbear

Saw a cool mint CCO today. FF facing. :( No child in it that I could tell and my Dad wouldn't slow down for me to get a better peak.

christineka

I parked next to a van with a fisher price safe embrace installed in it. I'd never seen one of those irl before.

glockchick

I parked next to a van with a fisher price safe embrace installed in it. I'd never seen one of those irl before.

I had one of those for my 11 year old. It was an awesome seat. :thumbsup:

I also had a FP Stay In View infant seat. I loved the carry strap instead of handle. Why doesn't anyone do that anymore? That was my favorite feature. I could sling the seat over my shoulder, the baby would rest right in front of me, and I still had free hands for both toddlers.

NannyMom

Not IRL.... but I saw a child with properly tightened harness on facebook. And it wasn't one of my carseat crazy friends :)

christineka

A good day today! I went to a yardsale where they had a freedom marathon for sale. I went home and considered buying the cover to sell. I went back when they were loading up the stuff to give away. I offered to take the marathon to be recycled since it would expire in February. We talked about car seats. The lady went to a seat check years ago and learned about erfing then. She's tried to get her sister to keep her nephew rf past his birthday. I was shocked to find a really real person in my town who knew about and practiced erfing. (I see rfing convertibles and hope that's the case, but hadn't actually seen it or heard about it.)

The cover's elastic was shot. It was a bit faded and needed a lot of cleaning, so I didn't want to pay for it. (I would have it it had been in better condition.) The lady decided she'd see if her relatives wanted the seat. She was receptive about the expiration, but that is 8 months that the seat could be used. I got some other good stuff for free, though:)

all together ooky

Good day today! I was at swimming lessons and as we were leaving the car next to me had two kids in it. The older girl was probably 4-5 years-old in a Nautilus. And the baby was rear-facing in a Titan (I think). The baby wasn't 1 yet, but I get excited any time I see a rear-facing convertible. :)

mlohry

The other day while driving down the road, I saw a Dad sitting in the backseat, with a RF infant seat, I was like, "oh Daddy is sitting next to the baby." Then I saw the baby on the Dad's LAP, screaming. I just shook my head at him when he looked at me. Right after that, I saw a really bad car accident, a T bone and was thankful, it wasn't them. Said a prayer for wisdom for them like I always do and went on my way.

wvmommy007

My friend was visiting me, and I saw the TB for her stepson had screws in the arm rests!!! How strange! haha Way to pick a man who reads directions and gives a crap about safety! I was so proud.

emtb79

I got one. It was a couple of weeks ago. I was at Walmart walking back to my van with the daycare kids in tow. A van almost runs over us even though we were on the side of the isle. Low and behold she parks her van next to my van. Im loading up my kids in the van and my kids cant believe she is ignoring the screaming baby on the seat. I look over to find an old Century over head shield installed forward facing and practially tipped over and the baby was sitting in the seat next to it. Now maybe there was a booster there. I dont know. But then to make him stop crying she hands him her leftover Slim Fast can and he drinks it.

Mach Knockers

I saw a woman get her two boys (about 2-3 and 3-4) out of her SUV. I noted that she had them BOTH in FF Britax seats, looked like Marathons, though I only got a momentary peek before she shut the tinted door. I complimented her and said that it was a rare seat to see bigger kids not just in boosters. She said, "Oh yes, we use car seats."

That made me smile. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC