An OMG on craigslist

mominabigtruck

I was checking out the local craigslist where I live and they had a new eddie bauer high back booster lister. The one with the internal harness that converts to a booster. She said the reason she was selling it was she received at her baby shower but decided that she needed a rfing seat instead so bought a convertible. Now I'm thrilled that she's using a convertible seat for a newborn, but come, what kind of moron buys a booster seat for a baby shower?:rolleyes:

ADS

cpsaddict

That happened more than once when I was working customer service at BRU. People got Summits, EB Highbacks and once, a Turbo! :eek:

ETA: The moms to be were returning the seats for infant seats!

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
On my BRU registry it told me that I didn't register for a booster car seat or a convertible.

I can see the convertible--sorta---but COME ON a booster on a BABY registry???!!!!

Susan

Splash

Oh yeah... if you start a baby registry at BRU, it reminds you that you forgot to include a convertible seat and a booster. Something else that I find absurd is that if you register for a travel system, it tells you you forgot an infant car seat and stroller; but if you register for an infant car seat and stroller, it tells you you forgot a travel system.
Upselling big time. Another reason I hate them.

Mom2nj

A good friend of mine is expecting her first baby in June and she called me to ask me some questions and we got on to her registry and she had a Evenflo Titan and the Generations. First I told her that the Generations is FF only and she needs to keep that baby RF past 1 yr, I explaned I would have if I had known.-- plus I told her that she really didn't need that stuff yet and to save up for a MA or something nicer down the line when she actually needed, since she was getting the Safeseat 1 and both her and her DH are short, so likely the baby will be shorter so it could last her a while. So they really do upsell alot, I talked her out of the EB 3 in 1 also, said she wouldn't be able to use it like she would want to.

Yoshi

Personally, I think the whole idea of having a baby registry is ridiculous! I am so anti-registry, I didn't even have a wedding one- a.) because we had everything we needed between the two of us, and b.) I think it's greedy. But that's just my rant for the night, hope no one is offended:rolleyes: .

Splash

Personally, I think the whole idea of having a baby registry is ridiculous! I am so anti-registry, I didn't even have a wedding one- a.) because we had everything we needed between the two of us, and b.) I think it's greedy. But that's just my rant for the night, hope no one is offended:rolleyes: .

I completely agree. I hate them. I hate ANY party/shower/whatever where not only is one EXPECTED to present a gift, but TOLD what gift to present.

We did one when AJ was pg with Charlie, against both of our judgment and wishes. BUT, people were asking. WE told them not to get us anything if THEY could not pick something that they felt was meaningful/useful/etc. For any gifts, we wanted ones that thought and time were put into, not something purchased from a list of demands and presented with little or no feeling. But.... yeah, they weren't going for that. So, we picked a few things that we knew we intended to get for him, and that was that. And we ONLY picked the things that we WOULD buy if someone didn't buy them for us. That's another thing that bothers me... if you're not willing to buy it for yourself, don't expect other people to! Every single thing on our registry that was not purchased by someone else was purchased by us (besides a few of the soaps and clothing items, and we changed our mind on which blanket we wanted) because it was something we truly wanted/needed/thought we needed. It wasn't filler "lets get people to spend money on me" stuff.

Whereas my SIL put on stuff that she didn't even want, only because she knew people would buy it and she could return it for cash. I was SO not going there. And the brand new Roundabout that was in my trunk for her gift, stayed in my trunk and was later "upgraded" to Charlie's second Boulevard.

southpawboston

the flip side of the coin is that some people WANT to buy things for expecting parents. it fulfills a certain desire in many people to provide for a new family.

if you are uncomfortable asking for things from other people, an alternative is that you can opt to have participants donate to a charity, of which you can include several for people to choose from.

mominabigtruck

I think registries are nice just because when I had my oldest ds everyone got me a bunch of cute little outfits. Now I'm not saying that clothes aren't nice but I already had a ton of stuff because I had been garage saleing all spring, what I really needed was the major stuff like carseat and stroller and crib. But of course my mom said that would be tacky to ask for stuff like that even though my whole family is pretty well off so it wasn't like they couldn't buy that sort of thing. So I ended up having all these clothes that he never wore and having to put all the stuff I needed on layaway at kmart to pay on until the week before I had him. That is why to this day I refuse to buy clothes for a baby shower, I would rather buy them something useful they need that has to be new instead of wasting money on something that they can pick up used if they have to.

nisi

Senior Community Member
what kind of moron buys a booster seat for a baby shower?:rolleyes:

The kind who shops at WM and sees the sign next to the booster that says "Great Shower Gift!" or something to that effect. :eek: I move that darn sign to a more appropriate item every time I see it, but somehow it keeps moving back :rolleyes:

I can see both sides of the registry thing. I don't like begging for gifts either, but as a gift giver, it's nice to know you won't be giving them one of 5 exersaucers, ya know? And when you're really stumped for a gift idea, the registry can be a wonderful guide. So I look at it as a favor to the guests. It's there if they might find it useful, but they're by no means expected to buy from it.

So you wanna know what really bugs me? This new trend of sticking a business card with the registry info in the invitations. Now THAT is tacky. You should never make it appear that you're requesting guests buy off the registry. If a guest wants to know if/where they're registered, they can ask when they RSVP. Period.

skaterbabs

For me the registry let those who wanted to know what we needed. ANd personally, I like the ida of buying something frivolous off a registry for someone who would like to have an item, but may not find it in the budget for something that is simply a want and not a need. Pretty bedding with matching border = want. socks and diapers = need. KWIM?

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
My options for baby gear are wal-mart, target and TRU. The BRU is over an hour away for my family, but close to DH's family. I would rather not get 2 tons of Winnie the Pooh quite honestly. Registry's have become the norm in my family/friend circle. No one HAS to buy me a gift, much less off the registry. But if they want to, they will have an idea of what I would like, my tastes and my desire to BF and what bottles I want to have on back up. Also my etended family is VERY large and I see most people about 2-3 times a year, DH's is smaller we see them about as frequently. We live an hour away from most of them---and we all have busy schedules anymore. I picked out a wide variety of prices and people can buy what they want from there---or use what they know as a parent.

We did a wedding registry. They put registry info in my shower invites---I didn't send them! They did NOT go in the wedding invites. I will admit, I got things that weren't on the registry that I liked, other things I returned or donated.

We already bought my stroller(Chicco c1). We are planning on buying the crib and dresser. We will be purchasing things for CD'ing. And my mom likes to do something big for my "big events". She bought me the retired Longaberger Pottery Canister set that I had been coveting---but couldn't afford. So I've told her about the matching carseat and where I've seen it the cheapest. I suspect that she will be buying it---just because she is my mom and I know her. I will ask her to tell me in time if she's not, so that we can order it.

So in short---a registry is helpful. I don't want to deal with duplicate gifts(who does?). I don't want to deal with crap we don't like. We might get some---but I want to avoid a lot of it.

Susan

Loves2sing

My DH and I have never done registries. I have used then for other people, but it irritates me when you see things that are over $1000.00 on them. If people are going to be spending that much, they are close enough to you, (ie. your parents), that you can give them a hint. I have never heard of a parent buying off of a registry for their kids. I could be wrong though.
We didn't do a registry for our wedding, because we had most the stuff we needed, and we hoped that people would chose to give money instead. (Is that like evil?) We didn't ask any one for anything, but we know that people are going to give gift at a wedding. It worked, and didn't work all at the same time. We got a lot of money, and were able to buy coffee tables and our TV, but we also had a lot of tacky picture frames to return. That didn't bother me though.
For my daughter's shower, I told my Mom that I wanted a Marathon, and she had all her sisters put money in for it. (It is almost a $400 seat here in Canada, and my family is not well off.) It was the perfect gift, and I didn't have to "register". But I am not offended when other people do.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC