How many of you have your 6 year old hrnessed?

horseymom

I just can't make this decision:rolleyes: DD will be 6 in a month and is rapidly outgrowing her FR. I keep leaning towards getting her the FRXT.
So why do you or don't you have your 6 year old harnessed?

thanks I appreciate this imput, sorry to be such a pain with all these posts :eek:

(pardon the heading mis-spelling!)

ADS

Maedze

DS1 will probably outgrow the Nautilus in harnessed mode in the next 6-9 months. He'll be six in October. He could use the Nauti in booster mode *now*. Only reason I haven't changed it is because he's fine using it harnessed AND I am extremely lazy :whistle:

MomToEliEm

By this time next weekend (her birthday is coming up), I will have a 6 year old harnessed still in a regent. She does ride in a booster seat in DH's truck and does well. Since I already have the regent though, I hate the thought of not using it. She sleeps a lot in the car and it is nice knowing that she has the harness to keep her positioned while sleeping. If I didn't already have a seat that she fit in, I probably would move her to a booster full time.

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
My 6 year old was harnessed until a week ago. Before that she was harnessed in a frontier. She'll be 7 in a couple of weeks. She went into a booster in dh's car right after she turned 6 because of school drop off.

Andie

I kept my now 8 year old in a harness until his 7th birthday. We booster-trained most of his 6th year.

NannyMom

J went into a booster when he was 6. He did well for a little while, then not so much. He went back into a harness. He was harnessed until a month or 2 before his 7th birthday. He went into boosters because he was at the top of the GN. Again he did well, then not. So, he's back in a harness and will stay in it until he grows 2 more inches, or I have to give the loaned seat back.

menfusse

A was harnessed at 6. Booster training though. It was hard for her. She's the fidgety sort. Boostered full time sometime after she turned 7.

cookie123

Hannah and Brett are both harnessed in the GN at 7.5 and 6. Again, mostly laziness is the culprit. They do ride in a booster with me which isn't that often and do okay.

lovinwaves

My tiny 6 year old is in a harness because she hated being in a booster. I have no issues with her riding in a booster in another family member's car though.

Qarin

I have no six year olds right now, but both of my kids (ages 5.5 and 8.5) are primarily harnessed because they prefer it.

BudgieStew

6 year old is harnessed in my car which is what he is in mainly and sometimes in DH car. For example if they are going to visit friends a fair distance away he is harnessed in that car as well.
Otherwise he uses a booster for DH car, friend's car, MIL, etc. I just introduced a booster to him a few months ago and he adapted well.

myliljunebugs

My 8 year old was harnessed until age 6.5, boostered until a week before he turned 7, harnessed again until 7.75 and is doing very well in his booster now ;) I only had to threaten once after getting him back in a booster and now he sits correctly.

bubbaray

My 6yo has been in a booster (Monterey) in my vehicle for over a year now.

In DH's truck, she just moved to a booster (PW) from a harness (GN) last week. I figured that a properly used booster was safer (than a potentially improperly used harness) as I found out that DH was letting her do the harness completely and NOT checking it. Like, ever.

Its funny how karma works, though. Due to the configuration in his truck, DD#1 needs help buckling the booster in his truck (in my vehicle, she does it by herself). For some reason, his female end gets wedged behind the PW when she tries to buckle it. So an adult has to help her anyway. Its kinda funny. If he'd bothered to check her harness (even by reaching around from the driver's seat would have made me happy), I wouldn't have put her in a booster in his vehicle. I asked and asked and he would.not.help her. So, I got her a booster and now he HAS to help her buckle the belt. She blows a complete gasket if the vehicle moves even an inch before she's buckled in (I swear, did NOT coach her in that!).

Long story short, yes, my 6yo is in boosters in both our vehicles now.

FTR, she MUCH prefers the Monterey. I know people here don't think it fits skinny kiddos, but she's super skinny and it fits her really well. I kinda wished I'd gotten her a 2nd Monterey instead of the PW, but I wanted to try out a PW anyway.

HTH

AtTheSouthDam

My 6yo is in a booster. She was rapidly out growing the Regent by height and, at the time, the FR was shorter. The Regent was too reclined in my van to get the full 20" of use.

At six year old, unless the child does badly in a booster or really, really wants to stay harnessed I would move them to a booster. I don't feel extended harness of older children is neccessary.

zactayaus

My 7yo is still harnessed in both of our vehicles. He occassionaly rides in a booster in other peoples cars. He does fine in a booster but he still fits great in both of our harnessed seats so that's why I haven't moved him yet. I'll probably be moving him to a booster full time this fall.

featherhead

My now 3 year old will most likely still be harnessed at 6 years old, because she probably won't be 40 lbs yet. So with her, whenever she hits 40 lbs we will start booster training:)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My daughter is harnessed for longer trips or trips late at night (when she might fall asleep), or when she asks to be, but is in a booster a good part of the time. She is just about barely 40 lbs. and we have multiple seats she still fits in with a harness; I feel she is equally safe in a booster now that she rides in it properly, but I do find she slouches a lot when she falls alseep, so if she's likely to sleep I put a harnessed seat in for her.

all together ooky

My 6 year-old is boostered in my car but I'm considering putting the harness back on since she does need reminding more often than I care for. I changed it to booster because she was near outgrowing it and I wanted to see how she'd do. (She had rode boostered on other occasions so it wasn't new).

In DH's car she is at the height limit on the Nautilus but he doesn't have LATCH and I don't want to use it as a booster without LATCH (my issue). Her Vivo doesn't fit well because of the way the seats headrest are. We're hoping to get a different car by this Fall so then she can use the Nautilus as a booster.

glockchick

Mine is. She's' in it because she requested it and because it's easier to do the harness than try to buckle a booster next to the baby's seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC