Which seat for plane? And tips for installing Radian on plane?

rverrone11

We are flying next week, but leaving home on Saturday, so I need to make a decision.

DD1 is 2.5 years old, 37", and 34lbs.

We have:

Scenera (35lb rearfacing limit, I think)
Marathon (35lb rearfacing limit)
Radian (45lb rearfacing limit)

Which should we take? She will be rearfacing in the car. One of the cars we will be using has a smallish backseat (Hyundai Elantra), and we need to have two carseats in the backseat (other carseat is an infant seat) plus an adult. That's why I'm leaning towards the Radian. But I'm concerned about the buckle behind DD's back bothering her on the plane.

What do you think?

Are there any tricks to installing the Radian on the plane (like there are tricks for the Marathon)?

ADS

aeormsby

My kids have never minded the buckle behind them (or under their legs in a RF MA) on the plane. I'm not experienced with the Radian. But I have flown with our Marathons & Uptown (pretty similar to the Scenera). I would say either the Radian or Scenera (assuming he still fits RF in the scenera). The Scenera would probably even fit RF on the plane which is nicer for interacting on the plane, and keeps the toys off the floor a little more.

There is a 'Successful Radian install' thread somewhere, maybe that would have some info on Radians & the Elantra.

rverrone11

Thanks. I found out the Radian fits in the Elantra.

I'd have to check to see if DD still fits RF in the Scenera. I'm not sure if she's outgrown it heightwise since we haven't used it in a while.

thrisha

We have a Radian and have used it on a plane. We just install it FF with the seat belt extender that the airline has and then put her in the seat as we normally would.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Radians are GREAT on planes for forward facing. The kid can use the tray table, they're a breeze to install, you can even have the armrest down next to it if you want! I've never needed a belt extender, just buckle and pull the strap through the slit in the cover to tighten.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
We used the Radian FF on a plane once, and DD did complain about the buckle being in the middle of her back. We ended up loosening the straps quite a bit and arranging one of the airline blankets behind her so it wasn't bugging her as much. After that, I flew with other seats. It's a big heavy beast...I'd take the Scenera, or the Marathon for the ease of install. You can get a $15 luggage cart to clip the seat onto so you don't have to carry it through the airport.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC