Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Which seat for plane? And tips for installing Radian on plane?

We are flying next week, but leaving home on Saturday, so I need to make a decision.

DD1 is 2.5 years old, 37", and 34lbs.

We have:

Scenera (35lb rearfacing limit, I think)
    Marathon (35lb rearfacing limit)
    Radian (45lb rearfacing limit)

Which should we take? She will be rearfacing in the car. One of the cars we will be using has a smallish backseat (Hyundai Elantra), and we need to have two carseats in the backseat (other carseat is an infant seat) plus an adult. That's why I'm leaning towards the Radian. But I'm concerned about the buckle behind DD's back bothering her on the plane.

What do you think?

Are there any tricks to installing the Radian on the plane (like there are tricks for the Marathon)?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

Re: Which seat for plane? And tips for installing Radian on plane?

My kids have never minded the buckle behind them (or under their legs in a RF MA) on the plane. I'm not experienced with the Radian. But I have flown with our Marathons & Uptown (pretty similar to the Scenera). I would say either the Radian or Scenera (assuming he still fits RF in the scenera). The Scenera would probably even fit RF on the plane which is nicer for interacting on the plane, and keeps the toys off the floor a little more.

There is a 'Successful Radian install' thread somewhere, maybe that would have some info on Radians & the Elantra.
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

Carseat Crazy

Thanks. I found out the Radian fits in the Elantra.

I'd have to check to see if DD still fits RF in the Scenera. I'm not sure if she's outgrown it heightwise since we haven't used it in a while.

We have a Radian and have used it on a plane. We just install it FF with the seat belt extender that the airline has and then put her in the seat as we normally would.
    DD (5-14-07) in Turbo booster
    DS (6-2-09) in Radian XT
    DS2 (3-17-12) in Radian 80

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Radians are GREAT on planes for forward facing. The kid can use the tray table, they're a breeze to install, you can even have the armrest down next to it if you want! I've never needed a belt extender, just buckle and pull the strap through the slit in the cover to tighten.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

We used the Radian FF on a plane once, and DD did complain about the buckle being in the middle of her back. We ended up loosening the straps quite a bit and arranging one of the airline blankets behind her so it wasn't bugging her as much. After that, I flew with other seats. It's a big heavy beast...I'd take the Scenera, or the Marathon for the ease of install. You can get a $15 luggage cart to clip the seat onto so you don't have to carry it through the airport.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)