Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: CPSC bans ALL drop-side cribs

Even here on a car safety board, there is a wide range of comfort in allowing parents to make their own decisions on the risks they are willing to take. Some parents Face their kids forward at 2, others at 3, others only at the limit of the seat (even if the kid is 5 or 6).

Banning a choice for parents is a bad thing. It is the government taking one more step in thinking they can make the choices.

There are, even now, a very few cases that overhead shields would be best for (came up in the OI thread to try to find one of those seats). But they are hard to find because of the ban.

--Sarah & D.J. (3-20-04)
    DS (08/07) ~ 8 ~ 52 pound ~ Graco Highback Turbobooster -- 3rd Grade!
    DD (08/11) ~ 4 yr ~ 32 lb ~ Britax Roundabout 50, Maestro -- Pre-K!

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Almost ready to outgrow the crib anyway, but I won't be attempting to resell it now before the ban goes into effect or give it away just like I wouldn't resell or give away a car seat that was potentially hazardous or already recalled/banned.

FWIW, Delta sent me the wrong parts to immobilize ours last week, too. I got the pkg and it was clearly wrong and 3 days later I received an email stating a computer glitch caused the incorrect shipment.

ETA - I had my original crib from 30 years ago that was beautiful and had metal slides while I was pregnant. When we assembled it (actually had the original directions from all that time along with the hardware), the rail would fall on its own out of the blue. We quickly trashed it.
    Last edited by AwwMama; 07-15-2010 at 10:35 PM. Reason: ETA older crib

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

I wonder if drop gate cribs will still be available? A & C's drop side crib (properly put together, etc) NEVER felt safe to me. I could totally see it failing in a dangerous manner, and it wasn't recalled.

I feel bad for the daycare owners who will, if this officially goes into effect, apparently have to buy new cribs. With the economy I could imagine it would be rather devastating to some providers.
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

I, too, don't see why the metal slider gates aren't still in use.

(For those who mentioned the malfunction in them, it is usually do to the metal parts being twisted or not properly installed in the first place.)

The crib we have is older than I am, one of the metal slider drop gates. It is sturdier and easier to use than the piece of plastic-covered junk I borrowed for J (I had this metal slider at my Mother's, we've had it a long time.) The newer crib was SO hard to put together and one stud would break every time it was done, stressing more and more on the wood. The old one has been reassembled about 8 times by me alone. It is simple and has very few parts that could possibly break. I did lose a screw once, but the hardware store had an exact replacement for 10 cents.
    The gate on the borrowed newer crib required two hands and my arms stretched as far apart as they could to hit the locks on both sides simultaneously. They weren't easy locks. You had to pull up on the gate with your foot, squeeze the locks in in the right spot, then pray the gate won't jamb. Stupid, stupid design.

I check for a recall every single time a new one is released, just because it is a drop gate.

Here's my problem with the ban.
    I'm 5 frickin' feet tall. Even with the mattress on the top setting, I have to practically THROW my babies if I cannot drop the gate. This is just not a good thing.
    Any of those really low to the floor cribs are really expensive. I bought my old one used for $20, otherwise both babies would have slept in an emptied sock drawer.
    Jonah 4/11/07 Avery 3/25/10 Noralee 10/14/11
    And my man from dream land, Sam
    RSTV, Coccoro, 2 Titans, Marathon, MyRide, Apt40, R100
    We do it in a Yaris!

CPS Advocate

This has nothing to do with choice. This has to do with a company knowingly continuing to produce a shoddy product that has resulted in the deaths of DOZENS of children.

I don't believe the dreaded notched seats killed 36 kids, and none of us would use them

36 deaths is pretty remarkable considering that the crib is not designed to protect children in the event of a crash. It just sort of sits there.

I really dislike hearing 'choice' and politics brought into a decision that has nothing to do with either.

You want a drop side crib? Make your own!

I will NOT be replacing my 31 year old perfectly fine metal railed drop-side crib.

I won't sell it or give it away, but it WILL be used by my kids, nieces and nephews, and my grandkids in 20 years...

Just my

Senior Community Member SuzaBanana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Baby View Post
    Here's my problem with the ban.
    I'm 5 frickin' feet tall. Even with the mattress on the top setting, I have to practically THROW my babies if I cannot drop the gate. This is just not a good thing.
    Any of those really low to the floor cribs are really expensive. I bought my old one used for $20, otherwise both babies would have slept in an emptied sock drawer.
    *Most* stationary cribs are much, much lower to the ground than drop-side cribs - by a foot or more.

Our stationary crib was $130 new from IKEA and is solid as a rock. I regularly join DD in it to play & bounce around. All their cribs are stationary, low to the ground, made out of solid wood & have 2 mattress settings. I'm 5' 5" and have never had a problem. There is an IKEA in Stoughton, MA in case you want to get one...they deliver
    integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching

CPS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by jourdysmom View Post
    I will NOT be replacing my 31 year old perfectly fine metal railed drop-side crib.

I won't sell it or give it away, but it WILL be used by my kids, nieces and nephews, and my grandkids in 20 years...

Just my
    Don't be surprised if your children flat out refuse to use it. My mother had the idea that i would use her old crib for my kids. Uh, no. They don't make them like that any more for a reason.

Does this "ban" include cribs already owned?

When I think of "banned" I think of people being required to eliminate such item from their home or face penalty.
    We do it in a Yaris!

Quote Originally Posted by SuzaBanana View Post
    *Most* stationary cribs are much, much lower to the ground than drop-side cribs - by a foot or more.

Our stationary crib was $130 new from IKEA and is solid as a rock. I regularly join DD in it to play & bounce around. All their cribs are stationary, low to the ground, made out of solid wood & have 2 mattress settings. I'm 5' 5" and have never had a problem. There is an IKEA in Stoughton, MA in case you want to get one...they deliver
    I'm just over 5 foot myself, and the cribs being lower to the ground doesn't really help me at all - I still can't bend over the rail nearly far enough to get my babies in safely. I borrowed a crib a few months ago from a friend when we were out of town, and I had to have DH take G in and out of the crib for me, I simply couldn't reach. I can't imagine if it was like that every day.
    I have 2 very safe drop-side cribs (No plastic parts whatsoever, DH assessed the mechanisms and is sure they won't fail) and I will continue to use them.
    DD#1 - 5/2/09 - ERFing in Radian XTSL
    DD#2 - Arrived 6/19 at 37.3 weeks! Riding in a Chicco Keyfit!

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by SuzaBanana View Post

And in New Haven, CT too!

I'm barely over 5' myself. And I have ZERO torso. Lowering a sleeping baby all the way to the mattress in ANY crib has always been a problem - dropside or no drop side - without letting them drop the last 6". Between DS, my godkids, and nannying I learned one thing...get a sturdy, wooden step stool.

After the crib recall late last year or earlier this year (can't remember exactly) I've been waiting for them to get banned. It happens. How many people do you think flipped out when they stopped making OHS seats (even if *we* didn't)? Times change.
    10yo in a Connext
    1yo in a Coccoro
    Babe in a Comfy Carry

Quote Originally Posted by BabyKaykes View Post
    I'm barely over 5' myself. And I have ZERO torso. Lowering a sleeping baby all the way to the mattress in ANY crib has always been a problem - dropside or no drop side - without letting them drop the last 6". Between DS, my godkids, and nannying I learned one thing...get a sturdy, wooden step stool.

After the crib recall late last year or earlier this year (can't remember exactly) I've been waiting for them to get banned. It happens. How many people do you think flipped out when they stopped making OHS seats (even if *we* didn't)? Times change.
    I used a sturdy wooden step stool for awhile when I was nannying as well - however, I have core balance issues, and there is a VERY real risk of me taking a tumble with the baby off of a step stool high enough to actually help me get them in. I've weighed the risks and personally I find the drop-side cribs we're using to be less of a risk than the step stool.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyKaykes View Post

Yes, exactly.
    I could benefit from a booster seat in the car.
    I HATE when I must use like the Pack'nPlay for a little one.

I think it's time that cribs are completely redesigned.
    We do it in a Yaris!

I also have issues with placing kids in cribs because of my height. I'm 4'10" and have short arms. I can barely place a sleeping child in an Ikea Gulliver crib (the crib we're getting) on the highest mattress setting. The lowest setting, forget it. I can't even lay a sleeping child down in a pack n play.

Let's hope the kid is ok with cosleeping.
    DS Micah 7/12/11 in a RA 55

Approved to adopt Baby 2 and waiting for a match!

I agree that cribs with crappy plastic parts should be banned/recalled, but if a company were to improve the design and ensure it were safe, I think they need to look into it again and possibly allow them to be sold. There are hundreds of drop-side cribs at the children's hospital here. What will happen to those? Will they be exempt? What will happen when all the babies with tubes/trachs/vents/lines/oxygen go home? Will they be able to get a crib appropriate to THEIR needs? As far as I know, it's a pain in the butt to get a medical bed/crib paid for. Families still need options. Obviously there's a flaw in the ones being sold now, but that doesn't mean ALL drop side designs are unsafe.

We'll be keeping Charlie in her crib another year, even though it's probably one of the "crappy" cribs. I have no other option right now. I have a hard enough time getting her in and out without yanking on something important WITH the option of dropping the side.
    Shauna, mom to Adrian (9 yrs, 54" and 83 lbs), in an Evenflo Amp and Charlie (6 yrs, 42" and 35 lbs), in an Evenflo Titan 65.

19. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunam View Post
    I agree that cribs with crappy plastic parts should be banned/recalled, but if a company were to improve the design and ensure it were safe, I think they need to look into it again and possibly allow them to be sold. There are hundreds of drop-side cribs at the children's hospital here. What will happen to those? Will they be exempt? What will happen when all the babies with tubes/trachs/vents/lines/oxygen go home? Will they be able to get a crib appropriate to THEIR needs? As far as I know, it's a pain in the butt to get a medical bed/crib paid for. Families still need options. Obviously there's a flaw in the ones being sold now, but that doesn't mean ALL drop side designs are unsafe.

We'll be keeping Charlie in her crib another year, even though it's probably one of the "crappy" cribs. I have no other option right now. I have a hard enough time getting her in and out without yanking on something important WITH the option of dropping the side.
    Exactly. My friend is facing the exact same problem with her Leigh's daughter. I just don't think this has been well thought out at all.

21. Thank You from:

I will be continuing to use my four year old drop-side crib that has been recalled. It was recalled because INCORRECTLY ASSEMBLED cribs caused some children to fall, and a few kids received bruises.

Sorry, that's like recalling the Turbo Booster and deeming it unsafe forever and ever because some people don't install the screws in the arm rest. My crib is correctly assembled. It's kept one baby perfectly safe, and now will keep my second child safe as well.
    michelle mama to
    dd 10.30.06 graco connext & recaro performance booster
    ds 5.4.10 sunshine kids radian xtsl & graco nautilus safety surround
    riding safely in a 2014 mazda 5 and a 2002 subaru forester

CPS Advocate

Uh, no, they were recalled because babies were KILLED, including kids in correctly assembled cribs.

My crib is correctly assembled. It's been a toddler bed for a year now, once I started reading about these deaths, but I was able to 'create' a scenario in which the side could drop without the crib being incorrectly assembled.

Shoddy parts caused the death of children. Not bruising. DEATHS.

Senior Community Member jennzee's Avatar

About 8 years ago I was teaching school. I went on vacation and when I arrived back at school after several days away, I was shocked to learn that one of my students had been killed in a crib accident. The crib was old (belonged to the grandparents) and did not meet current safety standards. Their attitude was the one we see so often with carseat safety: "It was safe for our kids, so it is safe for our grandkids". The investigation following the death showed that the crib was SOLID, well maintained, and assembled correcly based on the manufacturer's specifications (I believe they even had the original instruction manual). My little student was just barely three years old when he died. Had the grandparents been aware of current safety standards and replaced the crib, or his parent insisted he not sleep in a crib that was no longer considered safe, he would likely still be alive today.

Seeing what that family went through is enough for me to take a recall like this seriously, no matter how inconvenient or costly it might be to comply with.
    Ryan, 12yo, Incognito
    Owen, 9.5yo, NBB
    Emmy, 9.5yo, NBB
    Quincy, 4, FF'ing Marathon
    Lindsey, 2, RF'ing CCO