Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: CPSC bans ALL drop-side cribs

Quote Originally Posted by lorismurph View Post
    So technically, we are all supposed to replace our cribs? That's nuts! Mine is old but meets the standards as far as spacing and such. I have an older Child Craft. The way the side drops is such that it cannot break or fail, leaving a deadly gap for a child to be trapped in. Why can they not go back to that style?
    There is a hole in the top & bottom of each side rail and a metal bar runs through the holes. That metal bar screws into the end of the crib. The side drops by sliding up & down on that bar. I really see no possible way for it to fail and I'm sure not planning to replace my crib.
    We still have our children's Jenny Lind style crib from 1985. It's made exactly the way you described yours and adheres to the minimum spacing requirements in force currently. I was hanging onto it for possible future grandkids and don't consider it unsafe in the least bit. The metal rods on it sure aren't going to break. I don't think I could even bend them if I tried!

Unsafe children's furnishings should be banned, but the ban should be specific about cribs made with certain materials that can and are failing under stress.

Dave
    Dave - The Classic Baby Gear Collector

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member SuzaBanana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kalinky View Post
    There's a $79 crib at Ikea. Does anybody know if a regular crib mattress will fit in an Ikea crib?
    Yes. IKEA cribs are the standard size & accept regular crib mattresses & sheets.
    integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching

Can someone please tell me if my crib has been recalled??? I am looking through the list but don't see it. It is made by Bassett. Dec 2005. Model number 5935-0521. The reason I am asking is because some of the cribs that have been recalled have the same drop side mechanism as mine. Thank you.

Senior Community Member

Am I the only one who thinks the ones without the dropside is not as high as the dropsides? When the boys were babies and then again with Rachel I tried them in both and the stationary ones were inches lower than the dropsides, easier for a baby to climb out.

I disagree with the ban, change the parts, redesign the sides. Yes people don't assemble properly, yes the plastic sucks, yes babies have died. But we are humans and not everything in this life is exact and perfect. You may have assembled your crib properly, unfortunately sometimes things fail with everything that is manufactured. Then it comes down to "You can't compare a carseat to a crib, you can't compare a crib to a baby walker, you can't compare a baby walker to a toy with a choking hazard", yes you can because all of those can kill a child if not used properly or built properly. Sometimes it's human error, sometimes mechanical error, either way I see a ban as an easy out, instead of making it so manufacturers use better parts and coming up with better designs. Less work for the law makers.

Really?? My slats are the right width apart, a soda can won't fit, and even though it tested negative for lead paint, I had it professionally refinished My mattress fits so tight that you almost have to stuff it in, no gaps at all... strange that there were that big a difference. Mine is a Simmons I believe.
    This was a Bassett crib, manufactured in '78. Very nice piece of furniture, cared for well. My current Delta is a POS compared to the workmanship of the former. I still have the matching dressers, which fared much better. Slats were apart 1/4" over the standard and loose. They were spun on like a lightbulb and easily moved back and forth. I wasn't up for gluing it. Drop side would fall on its own whenever it pleased despite correct assembly with the original hardware and directions. Assembling/disassembling cribs (or lots of things for that matter) over time can widen screw holes and allow for a less secure fit. Natural progression with procedure.

Senior Community Member Jennifer mom to my 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGearCollector View Post
    We still have our children's Jenny Lind style crib from 1985. It's made exactly the way you described yours and adheres to the minimum spacing requirements in force currently. I was hanging onto it for possible future grandkids and don't consider it unsafe in the least bit. The metal rods on it sure aren't going to break. I don't think I could even bend them if I tried!

Unsafe children's furnishings should be banned, but the ban should be specific about cribs made with certain materials that can and are failing under stress.

Dave
    Hi Dave This ban sounds alot like the one in Australia on all strollers and prams without a red brake lever....
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by HEVY View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks the ones without the dropside is not as high as the dropsides? When the boys were babies and then again with Rachel I tried them in both and the stationary ones were inches lower than the dropsides, easier for a baby to climb out.
    The internal height or the external height? Stationary cribs are lower, but they are lower on both the outside and on the inside. With any crib, there is a point at which kids will be able to climb out, the reason cribs have height limits.
    Last edited by Athena; 07-20-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Carseat Crazy

I'm 5'1, and haven't had any issues with laying baby down without "dropping" them in a play yard. And that's all I've used for the last 2 babies. Granted..at 27 months youngest is put in his play yard awake and he falls asleep on his own, but even beforehand, I never had issues.

On one of the Little People shows on TLC, they had a crib that opened on the side, and I know I've seen that type in the past.

CPS Technician

I don't agree with the ban at all. I do agree that there ARE many issues with some manufacturers selling shoddy merchandise and cutting too many corners, though. I don't recall ever hearing that drop sides were dangerous before the manufacturers started using garbage parts. I don't feel that drop sides by design are inherently dangerous, the danger is a direct result of manufacturers cutting corners.

At what point do we start holding manufacturers of children's products to higher standards and also hold them accountable? It doesn't seem to matter WHAT you pay for a crib since the recalls have affected quite a large price range. Parents shouldn't have to fear their cribs, drop sides or not. But I hate the fear mongering that has resulted from a few irresponsible manufacturers.

11. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    The internal height or the external height? Stationary cribs are lower, but they are lower on both the outside and on the inside. With any crib, there is a point at which kids will be able to climb out, the reason cribs have height limits.
    Yes, I meant they are lower inside, doesn't make sense to lower the internal height so that it's chest high on a 1yr old, I don't feel a child that young should be moved to a bed.

Yes, I meant they are lower inside, doesn't make sense to lower the internal height so that it's chest high on a 1yr old, I don't feel a child that young should be moved to a bed.
    My dropside crib (no idea on the brand) had less internal depth than my stationary crib on its lowest setting (ChildCraft). I think it depends on the brand. My daughter figured out how to drop the side of my dropside before she was 2 (not by accident).

I think a more specific ban is warranted.

14. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

If you don't mind my asking, how many inches is the internal height of a typical drop side crib? Anyone know the minimum allowed? My stationary crib is 22" inside at its lowest so a child might be chest high at 35", but that's the height limit. Personally, I am not comfortable putting an 18, 24, or 30 month old in a full size bed, but that's why these cribs turn into toddler beds. Take off the front and voila, you've got a bed for the next couple years. Okay, yes, so I prefer the stationary cribs.

However, I do not think it is safe to automatically assume that no stationary crib could be unsafe. We need to address the poor quality and design, in addition to plastic hardware, that can occur on stationary cribs and other sleep devices We must hold manufacturers to a higher standard and hold them accountable
    Last edited by Athena; 07-22-2010 at 08:05 AM.

Should ALL drop side cribs be banned? Nope! I think they need to re-design them and use metal instead of plastic! Making a blanket statement about all drop side cribs that are made and could possibly be made is just as stupid as stating that because Toyota's were just recalled all cars should be!

Can you imagine an adult's bed with plastic to hold up say the mattress? No one would buy it, but yet people don't think twice about plastic on a crib. I don't know about you guys, but that is the exact reason why 7 years ago I purchased a used crib with proper spacing, metal drop sides, and that fit a current mattress in it. I had to scour garage sales and such and lost the first crib because it tested positive for lead paint, but at least I know my kids are safe in it.

BTW: I have 2 drop side cribs and 2 cribs without drop sides for my kids (foster kids) and my case worker was just here inspecting it and approved the use of my old style no plastic medal rods drop side crib.

17. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by steph_s View Post
    Can you imagine an adult's bed with plastic to hold up say the mattress? No one would buy it, but yet people don't think twice about plastic on a crib.
    A lot of us people did think about this and chose metal hardware. My guess is that a lot of people think if it is being sold, it must be safe, and that should be true.
    Last edited by Athena; 07-22-2010 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer mom to my 7 View Post
    Hi Dave This ban sounds alot like the one in Australia on all strollers and prams without a red brake lever....
    Hi Jennifer!

On each of the reports from Australia about strollers rolling into the path of stopping trains at stations I think about those safety requirements imposed down under, including the requirement of a tether strap to keep just such accidents from happening. But, they can even require red strobe lights be put on those brake pedals and you'll still have users who won't apply the brake, thinking nothing will happen while they momentarily let go of the handle to take care of something.

As a mechanical designer by profession, on occasion I study designs and materials used on baby gear items. There's plenty of material choices I would never specify for certain parts and applications just to save a buck or two in the overall cost of the product. In the case of these cribs with plastic parts failing, it could also be a QC issue with the formulation of the plastic itself, causing it to be more prone to fail under load. I remember Maclaren had that problem with their plastic stroller wheels several years back when first being produced in China. The wheels would break without warning almost dumping the rider on the pavement or out in the street. All strollers with plastic wheels weren't banned because of it. The QC issue Maclaren had was investigated and corrected instead and replacement plastic wheels no longer had the breakage problem. Of course, give me good ol' rubber tires and metal, chrome plated, spoked wheels on a baby buggy anyday!

Dave
    Dave - The Classic Baby Gear Collector