Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Community Member SuzaBanana's Avatar

Exclamation CPSC bans ALL drop-side cribs

New standards go into effect next year...http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/14/cri...rds/index.html
    integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: CPSC bans ALL drop-side cribs

So technically, we are all supposed to replace our cribs? That's nuts! Mine is old but meets the standards as far as spacing and such. I have an older Child Craft. The way the side drops is such that it cannot break or fail, leaving a deadly gap for a child to be trapped in. Why can they not go back to that style?
    There is a hole in the top & bottom of each side rail and a metal bar runs through the holes. That metal bar screws into the end of the crib. The side drops by sliding up & down on that bar. I really see no possible way for it to fail and I'm sure not planning to replace my crib.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Caleb 11 yrs. 70lbs. 55" 5-steps Megan 8.5 yrs. 45lbs. 48" Harmony Literider
    Grace 6 yrs. 40lbs. 42" Nautilus
    Cameron 4 yrs. 34lb. 39" Radian XTSL
    Sally born 4/28 SR35, Zach born 4/28 Combi Coccoro

Senior Community Member Jennifer mom to my 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lorismurph View Post
    So technically, we are all supposed to replace our cribs? That's nuts! Mine is old but meets the standards as far as spacing and such. I have an older Child Craft. The way the side drops is such that it cannot break or fail, leaving a deadly gap for a child to be trapped in. Why can they not go back to that style?
    There is a hole in the top & bottom of each side rail and a metal bar runs through the holes. That metal bar screws into the end of the crib. The side drops by sliding up & down on that bar. I really see no possible way for it to fail and I'm sure not planning to replace my crib.
    Mine is the same way, 19 years old it is. I think part of the problem is that it was cheaper to use the plastic parts they started to use. I think even back 19 years ago my crib was close to 200 dollars.

These cribs that were failing with the plastic parts were as little as 80-100, correct?
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

Carseat Crazy

So I am supposed to get a new crib now? Mine was hand made (with drop sides) by an Amish man in our area 14 years ago. It is beautiful!!
    DS 10/7/97- Seatbelt
    DS 3/8/04- Recaro Vivo
    DS 12/13/06- Britax MA
    DS 5/29/09- Britax MA

I still maintain that mine is safe to use, though I don't think it will be used. (Just because dd is a co sleeper. I intend to move her straight to a regular bed and skip the crib.)
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

Senior Community Member rachelandtyke's Avatar

Yeah, I have a drop side that is not recalled.

Don't think they can make us replace them, but can keep them from being made and sold . . .
    DD1: 13, finally five-stepping!
    DS: 9, Chicco KidFit, HBTB
    DD2: 6, ffing RA50

Quote Originally Posted by cheerbop View Post
    So I am supposed to get a new crib now? Mine was hand made (with drop sides) by an Amish man in our area 14 years ago. It is beautiful!!
    Does it have metal sliders? I am pretty sure its the plastic parts that are the problem.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Kegracin View Post
    Does it have metal sliders? I am pretty sure its the plastic parts that are the problem.
    What plastic parts? I will have to check.
    DS 10/7/97- Seatbelt
    DS 3/8/04- Recaro Vivo
    DS 12/13/06- Britax MA
    DS 5/29/09- Britax MA

I have a drop side crib that's almost 7 years old. My mom bought it for my first dd from walmart. It hasn't been recalled yet either. Yes it has plastic parts. There's no way I'm buying another crib now. We're done having kids.
    April Senior checker / Special needs trained
    DD1 10.5yrs Harmony cruz
    DD2 6.5yrs PKWY SG
    DD3 5yrs FF GN

My drop side (which was recalled) was $550. Quite a bit more than $80-100. ANd the whole recall thing seems to be about "You might put it together wrong so let's turn it into a stationary side crib instead"

I keep wondering when they are going to start looking at backyard play structures and realize how many of those might be put together wrong and thus cause injuries.

--Sarah & D.J. (3-20-04)
    DS (08/07) ~ 8 ~ 52 pound ~ Graco Highback Turbobooster -- 3rd Grade!
    DD (08/11) ~ 4 yr ~ 32 lb ~ Britax Roundabout 50, Maestro -- Pre-K!

CPS Advocate

My 350 dollar drop side crib was assembled correctly and could definitely malfunction in the way described. The recall is a very good thing.

Anyone have a list of the cribs that have been recalled?
    DD (5-14-07) in Turbo booster
    DS (6-2-09) in Radian XT
    DS2 (3-17-12) in Radian 80

This site lists all the crib recalls issued
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cgi-bin/cribs.aspx
    Katy

16. Thank You from:

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

So, next year, it will be illegal to re-sell your drop-side crib even if it is one of the older, well-made ones that have had no malfunctions, right?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    So, next year, it will be illegal to re-sell your drop-side crib even if it is one of the older, well-made ones that have had no malfunctions, right?
    that's what it sounds like.

I have two mini cribs that have drop sides... neither one has been recalled... although that is a pretty big expense for me (being daycare), although I've already replaced two cribs this year (from drop side to fixed side) because I thought something like this was going to happen. Now I'll have to either sell the other two to help fund or come up with a large amount of money...hmmm. My licensor is not very good at keeping up with recalls and such, she only takes a tape measure to measure the distance between the slats.

Crystal: CPST, DCP and BFF to:
    Hania: 3 months, rf in a nuna pipa
    Piper: 2 years, 26lbs rf in a monkey clek fllo
    Isabella: 4.5 years, 32lbs rf in a clek foonf
    Rocking out in a 2015 Subaru WRX and a 2006 Toyota Sienna

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    I think some of the manufacturer's were sending out kits to basically disable the drop side. Our crib has never been on the recall list, but on their website they had kits available so I ordered one (we're using it as a toddler bed now and won't be using it as a crib again, but I wanted it so I can pass it on/sell it when we're done with it).
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

Senior Community Member Jennifer mom to my 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vonfirmath View Post
    My drop side (which was recalled) was $550. Quite a bit more than $80-100. ANd the whole recall thing seems to be about "You might put it together wrong so let's turn it into a stationary side crib instead"

I keep wondering when they are going to start looking at backyard play structures and realize how many of those might be put together wrong and thus cause injuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    My 350 dollar drop side crib was assembled correctly and could definitely malfunction in the way described. The recall is a very good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by aeormsby View Post
    I think some of the manufacturer's were sending out kits to basically disable the drop side. Our crib has never been on the recall list, but on their website they had kits available so I ordered one (we're using it as a toddler bed now and won't be using it as a crib again, but I wanted it so I can pass it on/sell it when we're done with it).
    Oh, Geez, please don't come down on me for my statement! There are 2 issues with the origional recalled cribs, as I can remember. 1, there were some that were not put together correctly, which led to child injury or death, and 2, ones that had faulty plastic parts, that with little pressure, caused the parts to fail, and caused injury and death.

I think the reason the origional recall was so wide, is that many of the cribs were available at walmart for cheap, and BRU, for not so cheap. Now, if you had a more expensive almost all wood crib, with the plastic parts, I can see it costing more money. There are so many that bought the walmart special, though.

Please, don't flame me again. I am quite tired of it when it comes to the fact that I will still use my drop side with the metal parts, as I am confident it will not fail in this way, and my kids spend most of their first 5 years in my bed anyway.

Meant to add, most of the recall kits were to disable the dropside, as far as I can remember.
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

Mine is 30+ years old with all metal fixtures. It's FAR more likely that any of my more current baby gear with plastic will fail than this 30 year old, solid wood and metal fixtured bed. Im happy to see them be proactive in protecting consumers and kids, but jeeze, banning ALL drop sides? Thats way over kill when you consider that metal fixtured drop sides do exist. How about all drop sides with plastic components? Makes a lot more sense to me than just blanket banning all of them.
    Former CPST and momma to 4
    Katie, Mia, Liam, & Kian
    all riding safe in our '14 Nissan NV "TARDIS"

Senior Community Member SuzaBanana's Avatar

I have to say that I'm kind of surprised that there's so much push-back on a car seat safety board! I think this is a long time coming and shudder at the thought of a baby sleeping in something with moving parts.
    integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching

23. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by SuzaBanana View Post
    I have to say that I'm kind of surprised that there's so much push-back on a car seat safety board!
    Exactly my thoughts. 3 point harnesses and overhead shields weren't ALL recalled for specific failures, we just know now there's a much better way to do it and so 3 points and OHS are no longer made. I don't see any difference in the crib issue.

The older metal rail drop side cribs don't have the same malfunctions, and that's wonderful. But they do have their own malfunctions. I used one from my neighbor for DS1 for a few months. Went to move the crib across the room and it must have twisted slightly and the rail just dropped. Then we tested it out and just leaning on one corner of it was enough to twist and drop.

After that we got stationary side cribs and love them.

My parents kept our (then expensive) crib from the early 80's and by 1993 I witnessed the rail dropping if you bumped it wrong, even the cat crawling under the crib could bump the release and drop it.
    Cathy
    B-- 6.5y harnessed cowmoo FR85;
    Sl--5y RF RXT;
    H-- 2.5 RF RNXT;M--7mos CCOA--1 mos KF30 and R 1.5 RXT