Horray for dd's preschool!

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
I posted in the carseat forum about seeing too many kids at my dd's preschool in backless boosters (these are 3 & 4 year olds!) and one child (a younger sibling) in a backless shield booster :eek:

Well, I offered the director enough copies of "Are you using it right" for all the parent mailboxes and I printed enough of the shield booster dangers brochures for dd's class (20 families, including the family of the sibling I saw).

She was SO happy to have them, and told me how she though it was so important! Yeah for her! I wasn't sure if she'd be really into carseat safety because her kids are grown, but she surprised me.

Yesterday, when I picked my dd up at school, the director made a point to come out of her office to find me so she could tell me how she got "such wonderful feedback" from the parents! I was tickled :D She even said that some parents read the booklet cover to cover, even though they don't have infants anymore. Yeah!!!

I told her I am in the process of becoming a tech and if she ever wants any more brochures to let me know. This might become an annual thing for the school AND she said she's very interested in holding a fitting station or some sort of workshop in the future too!

ADS

mommy2jana

Way to go!!! :) I'm so glad the director and parents seem receptive!

I need to figure out what to do for dd's school - I saw a 2 yr old without a carseat and a 1.5 yr old sitting on a 10 yr olds lap! :eek:

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
I saw a 2 yr old without a carseat and a 1.5 yr old sitting on a 10 yr olds lap! :eek:

OMG!! That is horrible. :eek:

I got the "Are you using it right" booklets for free - 100 of them. I can get you the website if you want it. They are nice, color booklets that cover all sorts of misuse. My only issue with them is that they show OHS seats in it - properly used, but still... and they don't really get into any extended RF or harnessing, but it's better than nothing.

Dd's preschool director was VERY impressed with the full-color booklets and was genuinely thrilled to have them available to the parents.

mommy2jana

I'd love the website!!! Something is better than nothing - even if it does show OHS and doesn't cover extended RF'ing and harnessing. They all look at me crazy when they see my 3.5 yr old dd get in or out of her RF'ing seat!

I have a website for an extended RF'ing pamphlet. I just don't have a color printer at work. But I could print that out at home.

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
It's www.usaaedfoundation.org, but I just tried the site and it's not working right now. Hopefully it will work later for you. They have all sorts of pamphlets on safety, health, insurance, etc. but only this one on car seats. It's called "Are you using it right? A guide to installing child safety seats" And you should be able to order up to 100 copies for free (more if you want to pay).

Now, I just wish I could find a brochure about extended harnessing and not using a booster before your child is ready - that's really what dd's preschool parents need. She's one of the few still harnessed (luckly she doesn't care). Several families own Britax, but I'm the only one with my 1 1/2 year old "still" RF'ing.

Edited: Here is the phone # if the website still doesn't work: (800) 531-1231

mommy2jana

Thanks for the website and phone number. I'll try the web first and if it doesn't work - I'll call.

I think I'd also need to find one for extended harnessing or at least on boosters....I think I'll print out the 5-step test. I think the director needs to see that one. We live in FL with horrible booster laws - she said they don't use carseats or boosters for the children (Pre-K) when they go on field trips!!!! I asked if I could drive my dd when they do go on field trips because I will NOT allow her to ride in a vehicle without being in her carseat. She was very understanding and said that parents are always welcome. I just don't think she's informed enough to know better, kwim? I would love to provide her with some information.

Did you talk to the director before you ordered the pamphlets? Or did you talk to her the day you asked to distribute them? I think regardless it would be nice to have the pamphlets on hand - even if her director doesn't want them.

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
I had the pamphlets sitting around at home. I ordered them a while ago when my local mom's club was thinking about sponsoring a seat check, but that never got off the ground (the local hospital does them monthly, so we didn't need to).

I wasn't sure what to say, but someone on this board suggested I say they were leftover from CPS week (back in February) and I mentioned that I am studying to become a tech (my class is in April, and I started reading the manual on-line ;) )

So I mentioned it to her when I dropped dd off one day, and she said sure. I got them and dropped them off before pick-up time the same day!

I know our preschool takes the 4-5 year olds on a field trip once in the spring, and they don't own a bus, so I assume they rely on parents to chapperone and drive. I will certainly be one of the drivers that day (next year for dd) and by then I will (hopefully) be a CPST as well, so you can bet I'll volunteer to check every kid that leaves the parking lot!

mommy2jana

My dd will be starting Pre-K in the fall, too! She's an August 03 baby. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to take the CPST course! I looked into it, but I can't get a week off of work to complete it. It might be a nice way to use my vacation time though! I get 2 weeks this year, I don't mind sacraficing one to fufill my desire to become a CPST!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
My dd will be starting Pre-K in the fall, too! She's an August 03 baby. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to take the CPST course! I looked into it, but I can't get a week off of work to complete it. It might be a nice way to use my vacation time though! I get 2 weeks this year, I don't mind sacraficing one to fufill my desire to become a CPST!

I really, really enjoyed my class...! I hate for you to have to take half of your vacation to do it, though. Is there not someone near you who offers it 1-2 nights a week? There wasn't near us, but I do know some folks who have done it that way.

mommy2jana

The one that was in my city was M-F 8 hrs a day. That one was held in Feb. The only ones in FL right now is one in Orlando (which is doable b/c I work in Orlando) but it is during the day to. It is a Wed-Thurs, Wed Fri, and the following Wed. 8-5. I'll keep checking periodically since I know they only have to post these things a few weeks in advance. Is Safe Kids the only website that tells you about these courses?

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Way to go!!! :) I'm so glad the director and parents seem receptive!

I need to figure out what to do for dd's school - I saw a 2 yr old without a carseat and a 1.5 yr old sitting on a 10 yr olds lap! :eek:

Some direction:

Present the idea to your child's classroom teacher. (Starting small - one room at a time).

Develop a good relationship with the building principal and get that person behind you.

Get active in the parent association at your school and work through them.

The health office and physical education staff also do alot with safety and families. . .

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC