Question RF Convertible Seat for 2007 Prius and 2003 Forester?

U

Unregistered

Hello -

My daughter is 10 months and about 19-20 pounds and ALMOST 30 INCHES TALL (wow!). We currently have her in a Chicco KeyFit 30, which has been quite nice, but now we need to switch to a convertible since I plan to have her rear facing for as long as possible. We currently have a 2007 Prius and a 2003 Forester. The KeyFit has been in the rear passenger position in both and fits "OK" in the Prius, but barely in the Forester. The problem is that both my spouse and I are quite tall (our daughter comes by her height honestly!) and both have the front seats back all the way. We don't fit otherwise!

We're in a somewhat rural area, so trying out car seats is tricky at best. I've been looking around and have been searching here and elsewhere and am leaning towards the First Years True Fit or one of the Britax (which one?). I've seen the Sunshine Radians and I'm sure they'd be lovely FF, but there is no way they'd fit RF (I tried my sister's - ain't happening!).

Does anyone have any input on convertible carseats that fit well RF in both a Forester and a Prius? They don't have to be the same model (different for each car), but we do need two. At this point, we only have one child, but hopefully will have more soon. But that will be a different question, I'm sure!

ADS

Jocey'sMommy

you can britax convertables on clearance right now ;) the marathon, roundabout 50, boulevard and advocate all have the same shell so all the extra's depend completely on your preferences. I love my Marathon and Roundabout 50, I have fit them RFing in EVERYTHING(including a VW Bug) and they are super easy to install. Another option for confort and convenience right now is the buy a coccoro. . . it will not last as long but maybe keep everyone comfortable until you HAVE to use a larger convertible, of course that is completely dependent on budget.

Gene

<----------------------------- ORIGINAL POSTER

Do the Britax brands truly fit rear facing? The Chicco KF30 BARELY fits, and that's with the seat 1-2 clicks forward. My sis had two Britax seats (twins) and I remember her complaining that they barely fir in her Pathfinder.

Athena

<----------------------------- ORIGINAL POSTER

Do the Britax brands truly fit rear facing? The Chicco KF30 BARELY fits, and that's with the seat 1-2 clicks forward. My sis had two Britax seats (twins) and I remember her complaining that they barely fir in her Pathfinder.

If your 2003 is like our 2007, the Britax Marathon will probably fit great in the center because it puzzles between the front seats well. Also, remember you no longer need a 45 degree angle at your baby's age and can go as upright as 30 degrees and that will help. In the middle position, we could put our front seats all the way back and my DH always needs car seats back all the way because he is that tall.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have been able to fit just about any convertible I want in a Prius, even Radians. :) I think the Forester will be your bigger challenge. For a tall child, I'd want to try something with a tall shell and decent leg room to allow for maximum time rear-facing, like a True Fit, Radian, Complete Air.

Gene

I have been able to fit just about any convertible I want in a Prius, even Radians. :) I think the Forester will be your bigger challenge. For a tall child, I'd want to try something with a tall shell and decent leg room to allow for maximum time rear-facing, like a True Fit, Radian, Complete Air.

There is no way that a Radian will fit rear facing in the Forester. I tried my sister's (she has twins) and they are fine FF, but impossible RF.

I may try a Britax Boulevard...

cookie123

Try this site for ideas. I don't know which year Foresters are similar, but if you enter just Subaru and Forester and leave the other choices blank, you'll get a list of seats in different year cars. Also, if you click on the entry, you'll get more information regarding the install.

(Carseat Data website closed - link broken)

Keep in mind the site is not all inclusive, just what people have entered and includes whether or not the install was checked by a CPST.

Gene

Try this site for ideas. I don't know which year Foresters are similar, but if you enter just Subaru and Forester and leave the other choices blank, you'll get a list of seats in different year cars. Also, if you click on the entry, you'll get more information regarding the install.

[(Carseat Data website closed - link broken)

Keep in mind the site is not all inclusive, just what people have entered and includes whether or not the install was checked by a CPST.

Already been there. Went to BRU today with the Forester and tried the Marathon, Roundabout 50, and Boulevard. They all fit, though the latter fit best (even though they were the same shell). Also tried an Evenflo (something 65lbs that can be a booster as well). Both fit, though the Evenflo was tight. So I think we're going to try the Boulevard.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC