so dissapointed in RA

mamamia

Hi-I decided to use my friend's RA for a couple days to see how the kids like being high up since they are used to the FPSE. Well, the kids love the seat. I on the other hand am a bit dissapointed in it. I think that some of the issues may be that my friend alllowed the straps to get FILTHY!

The straps twist more than any other seat I have touched including the Cosco booster that I use rarely when my niece is in my car. They twist from bottom to top, and just don't lay flat.

It is nearly impossible to move the chest clip up and down to position it at the shoulders.

The adjuster strap is very difficult to pull tight.

Also, the puzzle buckle is annoying. The buckle release is in a terrible spot, and I now understand why kids "Escape" from this seat. My 3 year old, who has never so much as touched the buckle release on her FPSE (the red button) she was out on the RA in about 1 second.

I still planning on getting the MA because many of the things I don't like on the RA have been changed to the FP way on the MA. Plus I like the higher weight/height limits. But can you guys assure me that the twisty straps and hard to adjust harness is related to the straps being filty?? I know everyone loves this seat, so it seems like this has to be the issue. Other than the straps the seat was a breeze to install RF and FF with the vehicle belts in the captain chair on the Sienna. As usual, thanks for any input :)

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Interesting-

I have never had any of those problems, and in fact have found the Roundabout to be one of the better models in these regards.
I would also wonder if the straps are routed correctly, that could contribute to twisting and adjuster difficulty.

One exception is that I also don't care for the puzzle buckle. Fortunately, Britax does not use them on its new models, including the Roundabout.

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
I have to agree with Darren. I have never seen or heard of any twisting problems on any of the Britax seats. My "guess" is that the seat was not properly taken care of - hence the problems you are experiencing.

Either way, the MA is probably the "best bang" for your buck.

Sara

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I bet if you ordered a new harness from www.britaxusa.com you would be MUCH happier with it :)

The harness on the MA is a little bit thicker...well, is more "textured" than the RA...VERY non twist.

There's a woman with 2 RA's in my preschool pickup line, and wow, having an easy to use seat does NOT ensure good usage! Her kids are above the slots (like they are in the middle and should be in the top...thank god they are ALL reinforced!) her straps are twisted and filthy and loose...so I can understand if you got something like that, you would be disappointed!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I have no idea what your friend did to the seat, but that is just plain bizarre. The Roundabout is easier to adjust than the Marathon. The straps are totally non-twist! Are you sure your friend didn't put some Cosco straps on the Britax seat? ;)

I do prefer the puzzle buckle. I find it much easier to manage and faster to buckle. In fact, I was going to get new straps for my RA & Freeway as I was passing them down from my older kids to my younger kids, but I like the puzzle buckle so much that I kept the old ones (which are undamaged, just lightly stained).

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
People constantly amaze me! OK, you can call me a clean freak and I won't object ;), but to not clean harness straps when they are disgustingly dirty is just plain gross. Would you put your kid in a shirt with vomit, ground in Cheetos or Coke on it? I think not!

I've never had a bit of trouble with my RA straps twisting (now the Super Elite is a different story :() and I agree with the others that it is hands-down the easiest harness adjuster to work. I'm sure you've already given the seat a good once-over, but you might want to try again and see where the harness adjuster is getting hung up.

I also hate that puzzle buckle! I did just fine with it when my ds was in the seat, but for some reason, it took me forever to get it buckled with my dd. I had to get a new harness (dh broke the buckle taking the cover off w/o removing the buckle first) and I really like the new buckle system a lot better. My dd is fascinated with that big red button on the front, though :(.

mamamia

Nope-not cosco straps-they have the britax velcro :)

The straps are now very clean and no longer stiff, and I have the seat in the minivan configured for my little one (RF). I have it tethered to the front seat chair leg. I was reading the online manual and it says that you need to use the locking clips. My belts lock so why would I need the locking clips too? They are just a flimsy plastic clip?

Now that the straps were put back in they do seem to work a bit better. I still like the harness adjuster on the FPSE better. I know the MA works like that so I am happy about that. I can at least move the chest clips up and down on the RA.

I can't wait for those TRU coupons because the girls are fighting over the "high" seat. With them high up like that they can really enjoy the roll down back windows in the minivan :)

As for the dirty straps, I don't even know how they could be that dirty. My 3 year old has been sitting in her FPSE since she was 5 months old, and the straps are as clean and flat as the day I bought the seat. The straps don't even have a wrinkle in them.
I wash the covers at least 1x/month though!

I will take my little one out for a test ride tonight!

BTW-I am a clean freak too. Seems we all have a lot in common-safety, clean freaks, extended breastfeeding, attachment parenting...

mamamia

I put the little one in the RA. She LOVES it. I knew she would, since she has sat in the MA a few times, and won't get out! Now that the straps are relatively clean they are not as twisty and do seem to move a bit easier when adjusting the harness and I can now move the chest clip. Not sure how I feel about the RF tether, but I am sure I can change my thinking after I get used to it. Still don't like that it is so easy to unbuckle to harness (3 year old unbuckled 1 yar old in the driveway...helpful-maybe...I was able to remove some plastic under the drivers seat to get at the chair leg to wrap the D-hook thing around. Now I will have to email Toby with yet another piece of data for her database...

Thanks!

mamamia

update...

Girls are fighting over the RA...3 year old says it is not fair for 1 year old to have the "high" seat...

1 year old seems happy and no longer gets the red mark/indentation on her neck like from her FP harness (I can't figure that out-maybe she is too petitely built for the thick straps??

The puzzle buckle is not really all that annoying when I use it with my 1 year old. When the 3 year old was in the RA she couldn't buckle it, which meant loading took longer than it already does! She buckles herself in her FPSE. I just check her and pull the harness tight. People make fun of me cause it takes me so long...but my kids' harnesses are always tighter than those making fun of me :D

Straps are flat upfront, but twist through the seat back when I pull the harness tight. I can't figure out why that is happening, but it is not too difficult to untwist them.

I do like the velcro :) although I took off the belly pad and am storing it with the belly pads from the FPSEs.....

Trying to convince my sister to use the RA instead of the Smart Move, but she LOVES her Smart Move... Thanks for all the input!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC