Ugh..7 year old no longer able to use 5pt harness

NebraskaMom

Hi All,

I'm new(er) to posting, though I'm an avid lurker. I just had to come and post since I know you understand how I am feeling. My ds turned 7 last month and just this week I made the decision to remove his 5pt harness from our Nautilus seat, as he is too tall for the top straps to be safe. This seems so silly to some people, but to me it is a big deal. I am comfortable with him using it as a belt-positioning booster though, and it is a good fit with the adult belt. I suppose it just means he's no longer my "baby" though :(

Also, I wanted to share with you that I am registered for my CPST class and will be certified in August :D I am so excited!!!

Stacey

Mom to Jacob (7) Graco Nautilus and Danielle (11) adult seat belt, back seat always!

ADS

kaceylauren

Aw, I won't know what to do with myself when my twins are out of harness. It probably feels so weird to see them so...exposed back there!

Congratulations on starting your certification. I hope to start mine before the end of this year. Just waiting on some timing issues with travel and child care and whatnot.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The good news is that for a child who can properly use a booster, there is no evidence that boosters are any less safe than harnesses. He is very safe in a good highbacked booster.

NebraskaMom

LoL, he does look exposed back there now.

I'm glad I got 7 years and 2 weeks out of harnessing him though, and I know he's old enough to understand he needs to sit upright and let the belt positioner do its job..but alas...he's not a little boy anymore.

smileybrea

CPS Technician
I am not looking forward to this day. He will be 7 in September and is still right below the 2nd to last slot on the Regent. He is NOT ready for a booster as much as I've tried. I know it'll be bittersweet when he is out of the harness though :eek:

myliljunebugs

Yeah, Connor went back INTO a harness just before his 7th birthday :p He just would not sit right in the seat belt at all. He is back into a booster now and doing very well! So there is hope!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Stacey, how exciting that you've signed up for the class! I can't wait to meet you. I'll be at your check out event on the 14th, probably as a Sr checker. :) I'm assuming you live here in town then?

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Congrats on the class. I took my cert class in Bellevue, ne like 5 years ago. Anne, Craig and the other teachers were great!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC