Can I whine for a minute

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Looks like the new Recaro convertible will be in Canada this fall, but we have to buy a convertible for ds in the next few months.

Such a bummer. Now I'm really kicking myself for not buying the SS1 in the first place - but who could've predicted I'd want to wait for the release of a new seat. :p

ADS

Morganthe

Awwww, poor you :(

Do you have a second vehicle or would use the carseat occasionally in someone else's car? If so, you could consider purchasing one of the good inexpensive models in the meantime & put off your 'best seat' purchase until the Recaro emerges. :)

arly1983

From looking at your siggie picture, That looks like it could possibly be a second seat for your older DD too!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Oh, yeah, you could get a scenera. That would be a great alternative.

The Scenera is still $100.

I thought that the new Recaro was coming out before fall? But I haven't been following anything about the seat so the date could have been bumped up without me realizing it :rolleyes:

What about getting the SS1 now and selling it come fall? I would love a SS1 but at the moment have no need for it, but if I did I would buy it from you.

snowbird25ca

I thought that the new Recaro was coming out before fall? But I haven't been following anything about the seat so the date could have been bumped up without me realizing it :rolleyes:

What about getting the SS1 now and selling it come fall? I would love a SS1 but at the moment have no need for it, but if I did I would buy it from you.

I've read release in US end of June, but someone from CAnada posted that they're working on the paperwork for CAnada for August. And when it comes to paperwork - well, you just never know....

I'm actually considering the SS1 option... I just have to wonder how much money I'd get back on it - and how much I could sell the snugride for. I know if it was a difference of $40 in the end that we'd be out, I could talk dh into it... but if we lost $50 or $60 on each seat, no way he'd go for it - especially for a seat that'd be used for not all that long and wasn't absolutely *needed*. :eek:

OTOH, ds has a long torso and if the Recaro has 19" top slots, that extra 2" is definitely something worth getting excited about. ;) We only have 1 car, so the extra seat thing would be pretty near impossible to sell to him... :cool: And we don't really ride with anyone else - not without planning anyways.

Dh is soooo totally going to roll his eyes at me when I mention this to him. I think he already thinks I'm carseat obsessed beyond the point of no return. :p

arly1983

:eek: :eek: You've got to be kidding me!! It is $39 at the Walmart up the road!! :mad: You poor Canadians:(

snowbird25ca

:eek: :eek: You've got to be kidding me!! It is $39 at the Walmart up the road!! :mad: You poor Canadians:(

Yep, our wal-mart sells it for $89, and the alpha omega is $140. I hate the AO, but at least it's more padded than the scenera. And I do think the scenera is the cheapest convertible we have here in Canada.

BudgieStew

There is a chance that it still will come to Canada? really?
Oh dear this makes my life harder.
I will most likely have to buy DS a new car seat before August.
If all goes as planned we will have a second car by then so maybe I can sneak in the Recaro even if I have to buy the Radian. One kid, three car seats...
DH will have a fit though and possibly may divorce me.:rolleyes:

Yeah at the current exchange rate a Scenera should be around 45.00cad. People are laughing all the way to the bank. I paid around 109.00cad for my Tourvina.

snowbird25ca

There is a chance that it still will come to Canada? really?
Oh dear this makes my life harder.
I will most likely have to buy DS a new car seat before August.
If all goes as planned we will have a second car by then so maybe I can sneak in the Recaro even if I have to buy the Radian. One kid, three car seats...
DH will have a fit though and possibly may divorce me.:rolleyes:

Yeah at the current exchange rate a Scenera should be around 45.00cad. People are laughing all the way to the bank. I paid around 109.00cad for my Tourvina.

Yep, according to this thread it looks pretty likely.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=10844

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Yep, our wal-mart sells it for $89, and the alpha omega is $140. I hate the AO, but at least it's more padded than the scenera. And I do think the scenera is the cheapest convertible we have here in Canada.

Wow, our Walmart's Scenera's are $99 and the AO is $159 but was just on sale for $149 :rolleyes:

BudgieStew

Hmm I think that I saw a later thread that said that when another person called Recaro they said no it wasn't happening..maybe last week when they released the U.S release dates?

I would call and ask but hate hate hate taking on the phone to strangers.

snowbird25ca

Hmm I think that I saw a later thread that said that when another person called Recaro they said no it wasn't happening..maybe last week when they released the U.S release dates?

I would call and ask but hate hate hate taking on the phone to strangers.

Yep, turns out that they're no longer planning to release it in CAnada. :( I called them today and the lady called me back. She said they had been planning to release it and started the paperwork, and then realized how expensive it was and without a major retailer sponsoring it that it wasn't worthwhile. :rolleyes:

So I asked her if I got a bunch of people together and we petitioned a major company to request the seat, if they'd consider it, and she said that there's a good chance they would. She was unaware of the limited number of HWH seats up here in CAnada.

So I know this is a new thread, but my plan is to start an online petition to have the Recaro convertible brought into Canada by a retailer. I need some time to do up the wording unless somebody else wants to - I'm thinking for now to leave it generic so the petition could be submitted to multiple retailers. And to have Recaro's North American contact information on it. If we could get a petition started, and then have all our friends locally and online sign the petition, then hopefully somebody like toys 'r us or sears or somebody else would be willing to sponsor the seat.

I can hope anyways...

But in the meantime, it means I don't have the dillemma anymore. :rolleyes:

JaRylan

Yep, turns out that they're no longer planning to release it in CAnada. :( I called them today and the lady called me back. She said they had been planning to release it and started the paperwork, and then realized how expensive it was and without a major retailer sponsoring it that it wasn't worthwhile. :rolleyes:

So I asked her if I got a bunch of people together and we petitioned a major company to request the seat, if they'd consider it, and she said that there's a good chance they would. She was unaware of the limited number of HWH seats up here in CAnada.

So I know this is a new thread, but my plan is to start an online petition to have the Recaro convertible brought into Canada by a retailer. I need some time to do up the wording unless somebody else wants to - I'm thinking for now to leave it generic so the petition could be submitted to multiple retailers. And to have Recaro's North American contact information on it. If we could get a petition started, and then have all our friends locally and online sign the petition, then hopefully somebody like toys 'r us or sears or somebody else would be willing to sponsor the seat.

I can hope anyways...

But in the meantime, it means I don't have the dillemma anymore. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a plan. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
That's too bad :(

Maybe Canadian Tire would take them on? After all they have the Radian?

Do you know how to make up a on-line petition? Would it be hard to throw in with this one, the one for higher weight limits in Canada? I would do it but have no clue how to :rolleyes:

beeman

Border issues are really ticking me off. We have free trade when it's over multi billion dollar oil or electricity that we "can't" live without, yet smaller exports/imports such as carseats have to be tested on both sides of the border, yet they do the same damn test, so they're just spending a bunch of money on both sides. And then we have this law of no harnessing over 48lbs, so the Radian 65 for expample can only be used to 48 pounds here, but 65 in the states. And if we go over the 48 pounds (under 65) it's still safer than a booster, but then we risk an expensive ticket with demerit points on our liscence. This system is really messed up. Thanks for listening to my rant.

BudgieStew

Canadian Tire and Sears, Zellers sound good...country wide and lots of people buy their seats at these stores.
Maybe Toys R Us as well but to be honest they are only located in major cities and not as many people have access to them.

Bonus for the selling the Recaro in Canadian Tire..its a racing seat company and most likely will look racey. Guys and girls(I am a big NASCAR fan) who are into that sort of thing might walk buy and get interested because of the look.

I would sign for sure and pass it on to others to sign.

Loves2sing

I think your best option would be to go to a company like Bo-Baby or E Children in Canada, as they already get many seat and stroller options that no other Candian retailers get. But as far as large chains go, I think Canadian Tire would be good. They are still the only Canadian retailers with the Radian, as far as I'm aware.
I would sign your petition, and I have a friend who also visits this site, that I know would sign it as well. As it stands, she is planning on buying one in the States and bringing it over the border illegally.
As far as the comment about getting ticketed for having your child harnessed over 48lbs, give me the freaking ticket. I don't care, it is worth the saftey of my daughter. But I would rather the government get educated on what is actually safest for these kids. If i see another 3 year old ina booster seat i am going to LOSE IT!!:mad:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC