Convince me (or not) to get the CA

glockchick

Convince me (or not) to get the CA - UPDATE - CA doesn't fit :(

Caleb is 2 yrs, 5 months old and riding fine rf-ing in his MAs. Weighing him today, he was around 30-32 lbs. I couldn't get him to be still.

Should I get the CA LX's while they're on sale or wait until he hits 35 lbs? :whistle:

Last edited:
ADS

swtgi1982

I would go for it, who knows he might hit a growth spurt and be 35lbs in say 2weeks. My three year old just did this, put on 4.5lbs in the last 2-3wks!:eek:

That way there would be no worries over watching his weight really closely every time you go somewhere to see if he is over the weight limit, when he get close. And heck at that price I almost bought another CA (I currently have two!:whistle:) I just wanted an LX model, but oh well my basic ones work for my three and four year olds who are still ERFing in them. I think DD will outgrow hers by weight by Christmas, so then she will move to the Symphony 65 FF and move baby to the CA (hoping he fits into it by then, he will be 13mon then.) He just barely does not fit by height now at 7.5mon, he has a long torso for sure.

NannyMom

Do you have any 20% off Babies R Us coupons? Will you be buying 1 or 2?

It sounds like he just had a growth spurt (based on something I read last night). A pedi told me children at this age average 3-4 pounds per year. How long do you want him to rear face? How does his weight gain usually go?

My daughter weighs 29-32 pounds and rides in a 35RF seat. I'm not worried, but she's almost 4.

glockchick

I think he probably did. His diapers and clothes suddenly got much snugger. He had actually been slimmed down until very recently, losing the baby fat. *sniff* I'd gone done a size in diapers even. He was a chunker his whole first year and has grown up but not out since then. ;)

I'd like him to rf to at least age 3.

I don't have any BRU coupons and no BRU less than 2 hrs away. :(

ETA, I'd be getting two. One for dh's car and one for mine.

ETA again ;) - Kaleigh's all about wanting to RF now, but I can't bring myself to buy a 40 lb seat to rear face her for 3 lbs when she'll be 4 in a month and a half.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Do you want to RF to "at least 3," or will you RF to 3 and then turn him? If you're willing to keep him RF past three, then I'd go ahead and get it at the sale price... if you'll have the outlay in a few months anyways, may as well get it now (assuming you can afford it.)

Can you get the CA now, and have Kaleigh use it (RF) for a little while? Then pass it down when needed (either when K outgrows it, wants to FF, or when C needs it.) I know you just bought her new GNs, so I would only do this in one car, for a short time. But it might get the RF bug out of her system :)

I would also consider only getting one CA at the moment; wait and see how he gains the weight and then if he's close to three when he hits 35lbs, just turn him in his MA in the secondary car and leave him RF in the CA in the primary. (I have several dck that RF in my car and FF with their parents, and they handle it fine, lol.)

glockchick

I'll rf to the limits of the seat after 3 as long as he's not pitching a fit about it. :thumbsup:

So I could get 2 CA's now, rf him and Kaleigh in my car in them, keep him rf-ing in dh's car in the MA until he hits 35 lbs, and use Kaleigh's Nautilus in Dh's car for her. :)

Abigail can use the other Nautilus.

Sound like a plan? It's amazing how complicated car seat solutions can be. :p

NannyMom

Get the CAs. Let DD rear face for awhile, then pass them to DS (either when DD hits 40, or DS hits 35).

glockchick

I'm so paranoid about stuff not working in my truck. I think I'm gonna go by TRU after class today and try the regular CA before I order one. Hope I can still find 2 sale ones after I'm done there.

glockchick

The plain CA doesn't work. :( I broke a nail trying. I'm having the same problem I did with the Radian. The buckle's just enough in the belt path to cause a problem but not far enough to lay flat.

I think the CA LX might if the base will keep it back from the bight a bit, but I don't want to order them and be stuck with 2 seats that don't work. No where with free shipping has them instock. Can I get diapers.com to price match for me and still use their free return shipping?

I'm almost to "rf-ing to 35 lbs is dang good" and may have to be good enough. :( My only other option is the MyRide with I think would be a pita to put him in because of the height or possibly the new Britax seats. /sigh

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
The plain CA doesn't work. :( I broke a nail trying. I'm having the same problem I did with the Radian. The buckle's just enough in the belt path to cause a problem but not far enough to lay flat.

I think the CA LX might if the base will keep it back from the bight a bit, but I don't want to order them and be stuck with 2 seats that don't work. No where with free shipping has them instock. Can I get diapers.com to price match for me and still use their free return shipping?

Yes diapers.com will price match if the item is instock somewhere else. They'll also let you return it for free. Did you try twisting the buckle down?

glockchick

Oh yes. I twisted the full 3 twists. I couldn't get it to stay tight enough to keep it from twisting back. I think it would have worked with pool noodles or towels, just needed a bit of room. The recline was bolt upright without them. Unfortunately, I didn't have any with me to try.

I've found the LXs in stock a couple places for around $165. I supposed I'll have diapers.com match that. :)

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
I think the base will help with the stalk not twisting. Someone told me that the base of the LX is similar to the AOE base. Maybe you could try that and see if the base makes a difference. :shrug-shoulders:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC