Nautilus as a backless booster

Qarin

I know I've seen pictures before, but what the heck. These are in the passenger side captains seat middle row of my 1998 Oldsmobile Silhouette.

Curly haired DD1 is 8.5yo, small for her age. About 48" tall, 52ish pounds:

Legs bent comfortably at the edge, lap belt very low, shoulder belt well positioned. She could ride safely in this seat, though she expressed concern about how easy it would be for her to lean out of the shoulder belt, and "what if I fell asleep??" There is also a lot of hip space side-to-side, which I don't think is a huge problem but isn't ideal.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Straight haired DD2 is 5.5yo, medium-large for her age, 45.5" tall, 45lbs:

Legs did NOT reach the edge of the seat- when she scooted back so her back was flush with the seat back, as in this picture, the lap belt fit acceptably, as did the shoulder belt, but you may be able to see that her legs aren't comfortable. When she first sat down, she naturally slouched so her legs bent comfortably, which brought the lap belt much too high. I would not want her riding in this seat as a backless booster.

4.jpg

ADS

jaded

My "almost" 8yo prefers the Nautilus base as a booster over the Turbo, because there's more leg room. He does have problems making sure the seatbelt is in the arm rests when he buckles though, I have to remind him of that sometimes.

Maedze

I really do like the Nauti as a backless booster. It's great with the lap belt fit, and if it's used appropriately (you know, once the kid has outgrown the high back), it provides plenty of depth and width for older, bigger kids. Moreso than the TB backless, I think, though I haven't compared them scientifically :p

Your 8 year old is built like my five year old :p

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I really do like the Nauti as a backless booster. It's great with the lap belt fit, and if it's used appropriately (you know, once the kid has outgrown the high back), it provides plenty of depth and width for older, bigger kids. Moreso than the TB backless, I think, though I haven't compared them scientifically :p

Your 8 year old is built like my five year old :p

I have, with the 13 yo. LAst year, he was completely unable to wedge himself into the TB, not at all, period. But he could till wedge his butt into the nauti. Not a usable seat, by any means, but it showed the GN is bigger than the TB.

glockchick

I have, with the 13 yo. LAst year, he was completely unable to wedge himself into the TB, not at all, period. But he could till wedge his butt into the nauti. Not a usable seat, by any means, but it showed the GN is bigger than the TB.

I tried the same thing yesterday, but I did it, not the kids. I can fit width wise in the Nauti, but the TB is just laughable. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC