Just got a call from Salvation Army

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
They give me all the seats that get donated to them. Well, they have started transporting people and want them to check the seat, yes one seat, they are using. I will probably be getting them a couple new seats and do some teaching. He said, 'of course we will go with whatever you tell us to'. lol

Ok, I gotta be better by tomorrow, so I can go play on my lunch!

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
:eek:

I will post pics of their seat later.

They asked if I would teach a little class. We will probably do that next Wednesday. I will be getting them a scenera and turbo and they will probably be buying a maestro.

Hey local techs, I may be calling you be help at the class! ;)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, so here is the seat that they wanted to see if it was good to use.

Ready?

How many issues can you spot?

100_1170.jpg

100_1171.jpg

100_1175.jpg

100_1173.jpg

The one and only sticker.

100_1174.jpg

Glad the are really wanting to make things safe. So awesome!

autumnlily

I'm too tired to think - but OMG, that thing needs to meet a crusher!

I might be able to come help with a class :)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have not even started plannign this class! I thought of making a folder, but, I don't know!

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I was given that same seat to me (different cover), by a coworker...when ds1 was a baby...he'll be 14 in Oct. And it was well used when they gave it to me. Fortunately, we didn't use it....but ummm....yeah....that sucker is old...and nasty!

lukensophie

Senior Community Member
The kids and I volunteer at our local Rescue Mission (homeless shelter), and I mentioned to our volunteer coordinator that I'm a tech in case they ever need one. She mentioned that they have a couple of seats that "look pretty good" but she was going to have me check them out. The seat you have is worse than I had imagined, so now I'm really curious to see what's in store for me.

featherhead

My nephew (who is 5) used an overhead shield version of that same seat. Thankfully I was able to destroy it.
IMG_1859.jpg

StillThankful

Ok, so here is the seat that they wanted to see if it was good to use.

Ready?

How many issues can you spot?

I'll try--Let's see if I've learned something:

*Good thing--it's a 5 point harness:)

1) filthy condition--torn cover (not sure if that's a hazard though)
2) only two harness slots--no way this could have fit a newborn b/c the harness has to be at or below the child's shoulder
3) There is only one route for the seat belt to use in both RF and FF positions; unlike today, we RF the belt in the seat area for Rfing and behind the seat for FFing.
3) No recline in the base (at least I can't see one), which can be a tricky Rf install to get a good recline
4)The sticker mentions that the seat is to be used until the midpoint of the head is not above the seat back--which can be opened to interpretation. Now the labels mention the top of the ears.

How did I do?:)

featherhead

Actually it does recline. And when you recline it there are some metal bars under the foot area which I always assumed was the rear-facing belt path. My ILs often used it in the reclined position forward facing.

crstcrzy

1, dirty as sin
2, twisted straps
3, 80% sure its expired
4, unknown history
5, no stated expiry date, therefore, open to guesswork
6, apparent liquid damage to harness....

I've seen worse though..

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
And what is that strap hanging down from the splitter plate? It looks like it isn't even connected to the seat so the whole harness is just hanging loose at the back. No possible way to tighten the harness and it would just fly out in an accident.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC