The rf-ing tether debate

glockchick

Do you insist on having a rf-ing seat that tethers for an older rider?

Why or why not? Discuss. ;)

I'm trying to decide if I'm ok with not. The videos of rebound are pretty scary even though I know logically that if I'm in an accident that bad, I have other things to worry about. :(

ADS

Maedze

No. The rear facing tether is a nice feature, but it is not anywhere near as important as, for example, a forward facing tether (I would never allow my forward facing children to use an untethered top seat), or rear facing for as long as possible. (I wouldn't prematurely turn my child forward facing if he or she would fit longer in a seat without a tether.)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It doesn't matter to me at all. It's a nice feature, but not crucial. My child's current rear-facing seat doesn't allow tethering. Her next seat does, but I'm not sure whether or not I'll use it.

I also prefer Australian (over the top) to Swedish ("normal") rear tethering, and only the Britax seats allow that.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
True Fit Premier? :whistle: (All the benefits of RF tethering without the 'jerk' at the beginning...which for an older kid RF, would still be way, way, way, way, way less force on the neck than the initial crash force if they were forward facing).

Yes, it's important to me to have some rebound control after my kids are two-ish and still rearfacing. It seems to work for the Swedes, so I'll do what they do :)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Why do you prefer that method?

Because it reduces downward rotation, which is, in my opinion, a more serious threat than rebound, especially with an older kid. Also, the less it moves forward, the less it will rebound, presumably, so it does help with rebound, too.

Maedze

I think that's why Britax encouraged bracing, because the American seats didn't have the foot prop. Of course, now with the advent of modern airbags and active head restraints, many if not most cars do not allow bracing, so there goes that benefit.

Mae

I really like to see RF tethers in trucks with a big glass window. Other than that, no, it's not *that* important to have a tether for older riders. Now, if I had a choice? Yes, I'd prefer a seat with a RF tether/anti-rebound bar.

all together ooky

No, I don't insist on it, but I do prefer it. Neither one of the seats my 2 year-old uses has it-only because I couldn't afford it. My next seat will probably have it. If it was in a pickup I'd want it.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My older RFer (3.5/41lb) is in a braced, tethered Radian, and I love that it has little space to move. It makes me happy, lol. OTOH, I would put him in the MyRide without hesitation, if he still fit, despite the fact that it wasn't tethered. When the RN was in my second row, it was untethered most of the time... and I was fine with that.

If it's available, I use it, but if not... I don't stress. (Although I do agree that I think I *would* stress in a situation like the rear glass of a truck. Still would do untethered if it was the best/only option available vs FF... but it would make me squirm a bit.)

christi2705

I prefer it (and use it on all of my rf'ing seats) but would choose a non-tethered rf'ing seat vs. ff'ing too early. I would however insist on it in the backseat of a pick-up truck.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC