Is it really possible for a 3.5 year old to be at the top slots on a radian

my2kidsSafe

I had a smell in my car that i was unsure what it was. Ended up being a cover to a single serve milk bottle that was hidden under my seat. The kids and I don't even drink milk unless its in cereal. Grr DH. When i was unsure what the smell was i pulled all carseats out and washed the covers. Thinking maybe something spilled on them. Normally ds rides in his MA. He throws a fit riding in anything but his baseball seat. I keep the radian in my car all the time incase i have my niece or nephew. I don't trust her seats. Anyways i had dd who is 6 sit in the seat and she was on the top slot. Then i had ds sit in it when it was fully vertical he was just below the second to top slot. But when i inclined it a tiny bit which is how it installs in my van a bit reclined. He was over that second to top slot. So he needs the top slot. I know he will be there for awhile but is it really uncommon for a just turned 3.5 year old to already need the top slot. I don't think i am going to get as long out of that seat as i expected. I guess i will definately be saving dds regent when she moves to a booster full time.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I am working with a 3 year old that is almost 65 lbs. He is close to the top slot on the nautilus.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My kid would have used the top slots (had she been FF'ing in it) when we bought it at age 2, so yeah it's possible.

armywife12

I think there was a thread about this not too long ago (when did your child reach the top slots on Radian or something like that). My 34 month old is a smidge over the 4th slots when RF and would need the top slots on his XTSL if it was FF in a reclined seat but would be under it when totally upright. Since he is almost over the 4th slot when in the upright position, I suspect he'll be well over them by the time he is 3.5 yrs old.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, AT the top slots is unusually huge, but USING the top slots isn't abnormal :). Leah had to move to the top slots before she was 4, but their torsos really don't grow very fast after this point, so I still expect her to fit in it till 6 or 7 like her older sister did (actually she appears to have shrunk lately, I swear she was under the second to top slots today when she was asleep and really relaxed!)

AtTheSouthDam

My niece is on the top slots, well over the second at 3y9m. I was shocked since DD2 is three months older and well over an inch under the second from the top.

lovinwaves

We had the tan one. Super cute!

CamdenCarseat.jpg

stephcali

My DD1 just turned 3 1/2 and has been on the top slots of the Radian for a long time. She's a little over half way between the 2nd to top and top slots so I doubt it will last her until she's even 4 1/2. She usually rides in the Frontier which has a little more room, and we will definitely be getting a Frontier 85 in the next year :)

finn

ds is 3.5 and on the top slots, I wish there was a set in between as the straps are up by his ears & tight on his neck :(

JOII

I met my husbands former roommates daughter for the first time the other day. Everyone told me she was big which I didn't think anything of, but wow, she IS big. She is 3y8 months and is 44" and 43lbs. She looked like an ordinary 5 or 6 year old, she was far bigger than my 5.5 year old son (though he is a bit on the small side). I watched them get in the car and she is on the tops slots of the Nauti with only about .5" to go, who knows how she would have fit in an RN. She was one big girl. :) (her dad is 6'8")

emandbri

Both Benjamin and Elizabeth were at the top slots ff at 3 1/2. Benjamin will be 7 next month and just went over the top slots a few months ago.

Shaunam

We didn't get a radian until DS was 3 1/2 but he was already well over the 4th slot. He probably would have been there by 2 1/2 honestly, since his torso was huge to begin with and then didn't grow much for years. He's been using the 3rd slot of the regent since he was about 22 months.

nmb

My 3.5 yr old is almost at the top slots...
he's been using the top slots (when FF) since 31 mos.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC