In Search Of Compact Crib / Mini Crib / Round Crib

mommycat

Looking for a friend who needs to jam 2 kids into a room smaller than my cubicle. Buying new PLUS shipping to Canada seems prohibitive.

Older child is almost 4 and in a toddler bed, baby coming early August. I thought she could just buy a new mattress for a small crib I had second hand but I think it was an old IKEA crib and of course the mattress size is non-standard (22"x44").

Thanks.

ADS

canadiangie

Has she considered a Graco PnP Lite? I know it's 'just' a playpen, but the nicer versions of this are actually quite cushy. I used a very plain jane model for my Emma when she was born and until about 6mos. I was a really bad mama :whistle: and even added a perfectly sized piece of foam to use as a mattress once she was no longer in the bassinet part.

We get majorally ripped off on mini cribs up here. Mostly sold at baby boutiques under brands like Stokke. It's really too bad that walmart can't bring in a mini crib similar to what is available at Target in the US. Then again, for all I know Health Canada has an issue with them. Who knows.

Anyway, just blabbering. Good luck to your friend. I know all about space issues from our last house. Emma didn't even have a room. She either slept in her PnP or with me. (me mostly :love:)

mommycat

Thanks, Angie. I haven't been able to find a mini crib at any Canadian stores, even baby boutiques or online, so far.

She does have a playpen and will likely use that beside her own bed at first, or use her Moses basket. I am going to try to call the one company I have found who makes the 22x44 foam pad mattress (WEHSCO) and see if I can buy it separately. It seems to be marketed at hotels, etc and I've only found it as a set with the folding metal crib on retail websites.

She will not be buying a standard smaller crib unless we can find one used, it is too expensive. She has a regular sized crib and might use that, but between the crib and the toddler bed there will be virtually no room left to move in the space. :(

Do you know which baby boutiques might carry the mini cribs in Canada? Just curious because I wasn't able to find any.

canadiangie

echildren /westcoast kids has a mini crib.

Your best bet would be to actually call the Calgary store (I can do it for you, just let me know) and ask what the actual brand is of the mini crib they sell. I looked online but didn't get far. The one I think is the 'mini' isn't really decribed as such and I can't find dimensions to compare other crib sizes to.

I do think however that it's up around the 800+ mark, so not sure if that's too much.

Is there anyway these parents could fit a double bed in the kids room for themselves, and put the two LO's in the master bedroom? We came this close to doing just that in our tiny 2bdr 1000 sq ft house.

Cryssy Jane

gosh I wish I was closer. I have a portable wood mini crib that I was about to list on CL with a mattress instead of the flimsy pad.. shoot.

mommycat

gosh I wish I was closer. I have a portable wood mini crib that I was about to list on CL with a mattress instead of the flimsy pad.. shoot.
Ummm... how much would shipping be on a crib? LOL Probably a bundle.

Angie - $800 is a bit much. I'm not sure they would be able or willing to switch rooms. There would be nothing but bed in there! (that's assuming their bed even fit.) It's a small room. :(

mommycat

Thanks! I'm passing that info on. :thumbsup: I looked there but somehow it didn't sink in that the portable crib was also mini? The mattress is a pad vs coil but at this point I'm not sure she can be too picky. Hope the shipping isn't too crazy.

canadiangie

Cat,

The one at ekids in Calgary is $480. I checked today. I don't think that includes a mattress though.

Just thought I'd let you know. It's not the $800 I had guessed.

mommycat

It appears that CSN can ship a mini crib and a matching coil mattress for CDN$350 (it seems they add in all taxes, duties, fees etc.). That's pretty decent for a nice, brand new crib. Hmm... will be calling her tomorrow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC