New Baby? So WWYD with my situation?

kaceylauren

It seems that we may have a baby bean. This would be #4 for us and while we're still not 100% sure we have a pregnancy, it's interesting to think about what we might do with seats when the time comes. So here are my stats (sorry no firm weights and heights yet, it's been a while since I measured) and just for fun, what would you do in my situation? I'm most interested in what you would get for New Baby. Feel free to include dream seats and budget friendly ones, too.

Twin DD #1 Graco Nauti (3 years old, long and lanky, about 28 lbs, on bottom slot of GN)
Twin DD #2 Graco Nauti (3 years old, long and lanky, about 28 lbs, on bottom slot of GN)
DS True Fit (19 months old, long and skinny, about 25 lbs, on second slot of TF)
Baby Bean, just barely pregnant

All riding in a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with bucket seats in the middle row and only 1 LATCH tether anchor in the third row. By the way, we're hoping to get a Toyota Sienna 8-seater soon. We wanted one even before this baby thing started. :D

My main question is if I should hand the TF down to the newborn and get something for DS, who would be not quite 2.5 years. I'm not a huge fan of carseat carriers, but we have gotten them for all three other babies, Graco SnugRides. I usually get tired of hauling them around in them, so I get something else way before baby outgrows the seat, however, they are sometimes convenient, especially when my hands are pretty full already. So what do you think you would do?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I would consider getting DS a new seat to rear face in, and give the true fit to the baby, yes. I really don't care if there is latch, since a seat belt isntall is just as good, but the forward facing kids should have their seats tethered, or should go back to rear facing.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Combi Corroco for the baby? So cute & little, I've never seen one but I've heard they are wonderful. The My Ride fits newborns well and seems super comfy also.

That said, yes, the Nautiluses *should* be thethered if at all possible. I have an 03 caravan and the same issue with the back seat (as do a LOT of us). Look in your owner's manual under car seats. Mine talks about tethering in "fleet vehicles" (those with no rear seats). They have a strap you can tether to the floor, where the captain's chairs would hook in. (Of course, it is talking about tethering to the floor from the front seat but I don't see why it cannot be done in a rear seat) I have not called Dodge to get these but I want to know what they would cost and if they'd sell them to me. I'm assuming you can put your chairs in the 3rd row? If so, there are extra anchors in the floor for them and it is only slightly off center for a tether. Otherwise, you are stuck putting either both RF in the 3rd row and loading through the hatch, or probably getting a different seat for one of the twins (Radian?).

all together ooky

We can dream, right? :rolleyes:

Well, if I had an unlimited budget I'd sell the Nautili and the True fit and buy 4 Radians. Then I'd rear-face all three kids and the baby.
I'd get the Radians because it would also allow you to put three kids in the back and one in the middle captians chair. Then I would take one captains chair out for easy access to the back. Then when you want to turn the older two forward-facing you could put the one in a radian in the middle (tethered) and one in the captains chair (tethered). The other two would rear-face on either side in the third row.

Then I would get a good stroller that has a full recline and a sling.

kaceylauren

I would consider getting DS a new seat to rear face in, and give the true fit to the baby, yes. I really don't care if there is latch, since a seat belt isntall is just as good, but the forward facing kids should have their seats tethered, or should go back to rear facing.

Currently all FF kids are tethered and I find LATCH and seatbelt install equally as secure and easy for me with these seats. :thumbsup:

kaceylauren

That said, yes, the Nautiluses *should* be thethered if at all possible.

Done, I have the Nautis top tethered as both middle bucket seats have anchors and there is one in the third row.:thumbsup:

Hmmm, the CC is super cute and narrow, which would be good for switching over to my mom's vehicle and possibly having more seats back there with it.

kaceylauren

If we get the 8-seater Sienna, does it have more top tether anchors? We currently have 3 (2 bucket seats and 1 rear bench), but I would die to have 5 of them. Any year make recommendations for more TT anchors?

crunchierthanthou

2007, I believe, or newer Odyssey. Siennas don't like radians, grr.

2006 or newer, and actually 2001-2004 ODY works too. It's just 2005 that you're stuck with one tether anchor in the third row. The 04 and older have three spots in the third row and the manual states that you can move the anchor to whichever spot you need it. I've read that it's okay to add two to the empty spots for 3 total in the 3rd row.

kaceylauren

2006 or newer, and actually 2001-2004 ODY works too. It's just 2005 that you're stuck with one tether anchor in the third row. The 04 and older have three spots in the third row and the manual states that you can move the anchor to whichever spot you need it. I've read that it's okay to add two to the empty spots for 3 total in the 3rd row.

Sorry to ask for clarification, but do you mean that the 2006 or newer 8-passenger Sienna has 3 anchors in the third row? Do you happen know how many are in the long second row bench?

We thought about the Ody, but I think we've decided on the Sienna. We're kind of Toyota people.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Sorry to ask for clarification, but do you mean that the 2006 or newer 8-passenger Sienna has 3 anchors in the third row? Do you happen know how many are in the long second row bench?

We thought about the Ody, but I think we've decided on the Sienna. We're kind of Toyota people.

No, she was correcting me. 2001 to the present, except for 2005, for the Ody.

DahliaRW

Yeah, Siennas and radians don't play nicely. But, in the 8 seater (excluding the 2011 model) there are tether anchors (and latch) in all 3 captain's chairs and 2 in the rear. The 2011 only has 3 sets of latch.

kaceylauren

Yeah, Siennas and radians don't play nicely. But, in the 8 seater (excluding the 2011 model) there are tether anchors (and latch) in all 3 captain's chairs and 2 in the rear. The 2011 only has 3 sets of latch.

Oh thanks for that! Now I know what to tell the guy who is going to get our van for us at market. Thank you, everyone.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC