Question Best Combo seat for travel?

Lightsomelemon

I definately need a second opinion on this one...

We've got a 23 month old DD who is 33" and at least 30lbs. She rides in a MA in our car (which we love). We've looking for something for travel. Needs to be lightweight, good position for sleeping (decent recline), FAA approved, and won't be outgrown too near in the future, along with being reasonably priced.

The best I've come up with so far is the Graco CarGo. I checked out the Evenflo Maestro because of the 18" height on the harness but it seemed so upright (more of a booster to me) that I don't think it would suit her for sleeping.

What would you recommend? We're leaving Thursday so I need to make up my mind very soon!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd get a Safety 1st Avenue so you could rear face her. I wouldn't want to forward face a 23 month old.

It would rear face her another year or so, then she could forward face in it until she's 4 or 5.

Wendy

armywife12

I agree with the Avenue suggestion. As far as the Maestro goes, it wasn't that upright when we used it FF for my 34 month old in the MILs vehicle. He didn't even have any head slump in it while he slept, unlike when he fell asleep in the Nautilus

InternationalMama

I agree with the suggestion of the Avenue. It's a convertible, but it has a really tall shell so it will last a long time and like Wendy said you can rear face in the car this way. (I would bring a pool noodle pyramid for that.) The Maestro is a harness and booster seat, but as I understand it the booster and harness are basically outgrown at the same time, so you haven't really gained anything over the Avenue. The Avenue is light, narrow and inexpensive so it makes a nice travel seat.

LittlePeanut

I know a lot of us Canadians tend to use the Scenera for our travel/spare seat. It runs about $75-100 depending on where you buy it. It's very lightweight and no frills. It goes RF to 35 lbs (assuming it's the newer model and not the older one) and FF to 40 lbs. It's not a whole lot of growth for your LO though. My DS1 who is on the smaller side of average still fits it at 4.5 y/o though.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I believe it was sears.ca that sold the Avenue? :)

Oh, and no seat sold in Canada is going to be FAA approved. ;) However you can still use it on the plane. If you're questioned, just show the wording that says it's approved for use on the plane (but you likely wouldn't be questioned.) FAA regulations state that US carriers should accept other certifications besides US certified car seats, as long as they are approved for airplane use. :)

mommycat

Wondering why you don't just take the MA? It tends to travel very well, and combined with a Travelling Toddler+rolling carry-on or a luggage cart, the slightly higher weight wouldn't be much of an issue. The Scenera was my travel choice as well, but as mentioned it won't give you a LOT of growing room. I travelled with both the MA and the Scenera (pics included). DS2 was 23mo and about 33" but only 25lbs at the time.

ETA - Oh. I just clued in that you can't RF in the MA anymore. If you definitely won't consider RF again then I'm not sure. Take the MA, I would think. Combo seats do tend to get bigger to accommodate growing kids, and the CarGo is the narrowest. (If you end up with the CarGo make sure it's a front adjust model - did they finally stop making the rear adjust ones?)

ETA 2 - I would probably get something like the Scenera and then use it at home as well until she is 35lbs, then switch back to the MA. If you are not sure of her weight, verify this to make sure you have enough growing room for RF to make it worth your while. Do a difference of your weight with and without her to get a more accurate weight for her than just standing her on a scale.

Lightsomelemon

I purposed taking the MA but DH doesn't want to on account that is was installed by a tech (with a rock solid install). His preference would be to get another seat for travel only.

I will have to weigh DD again, but I suspect she is at least 32lbs. RF is not absolutely necessary (although I know it's safest).

I like the price of the Scenera but I don't think it will give her much growing room. Any idea what the highest strap setting is on the Scenera?

mommycat

I think 13.5"? 14.5"? Quite low, but for the price and the ability to RF to a decent age and its light weight it is a nice choice none the less.

Umm... I might work on DH some more..
1. in most instances, the MA is extremely easy to install rock solid and the ability of the tech to do so should not factor in.
2. the tech did not do his/her job - you should have come away from the appointment with the knowledge and confidence to reinstall the seat yourselves, anytime
3. getting a new seat which you have never used and is probably harder to install than a MA and then travelling with it, when you feel that insecure about your ability to install it, seems counterintuitive.
Unless you plan to RF, I would take a close look at the details of the install (is it in with UAS or seatbelt? where does the top tether attach+under/over headrest? if seatbelt, how is the lockoff used or is it lapbelt only?), haul that MA out and practice a time or two! I would be surprised if you couldn't get it in as well as the tech. If you have problems, come back here to troubleshoot.

If you do buy another seat, you should still take it out to the car and practice a time or two.

If you take the MA, don't forget to flip the airplane seatbelt buckle upside-down when you board, so that it doesn't get wedged in the beltpath. or any seat, ask for a seatbelt extender to help make it easier to install and uninstall.

InternationalMama

I just wanted to let you know that there *are* some seats in Canada that rear face to 40 lbs now (right?) including the Radian, which can be a great travel seat. If you don't want to rear face again, that's your choice of course, but I just wanted to let you know in case you weren't aware that there are some seats now out with higher limits in Canada.

If you want to keep her forward facing and you are concerned about your ability to install the seat correctly, I would agree with Cat that you should take the MA. The Marathon has a reputation for being very easy to install so there really isn't a better seat to travel with if that is your concern. And as a bonus, you already own it! :)

And if you aren't sure how to install the seat, why not go back to a tech (one who is doing their job!) and learn how? You never know when you might need to install the seat yourself, if your car breaks down for example, so it's good to feel confident knowing how to do it.

MAggie Boston

I'm working on a similar problem to the original poster.

What are the major differences between the Scenera and the Avenue? Will one last a lot longer? Does one weight a lot more? Is one easier to install repeatedly in planes/different cars?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They're very similar. They both have 35 pound rear facing weight limits, 40 pounds forward. The Scenera has 15" top slots, the Avenue 16". The Avenue is more padded. Both are pretty easy to install and use. I think the Scenera is nine pounds, the Avenue is 11.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC