Unknown Eddie Bauer Seat

wvmommy007

What is the highest harnessed weight limit Eddie Bauer seat? A friend was telling me about her stepson who rides with his mother in an unknown Eddie Bauer seat. He is 7 and at least 55 lbs (maybe more). The seat is around 6 years old, she thinks. Wouldn't he most likely be too heavy and old to use this seat, besides the fact it is probably expired? He is harnessed and she doesn't know if it can be used as a booster. She is also wondering what Virginia car seat laws are. It is sad that she most likely won't be able to do anything about this situation unless his dad can convince his mom of how unsafe (and moronic) she is being.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The highest limit would be 50 lbs, but chances are the one you are talking about is only 40 lbs. Either way, they make into horrible boosters. Time for a new booster to appear in mom's car.

wvmommy007

How would you even squeeze a 7 year old into a seat like that? Geez! Is it illegal by VA law for him to ride that way? I would assume so, just haven't read the law myself.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have seen it. The boy kept saying to his mom, 'see, I told you I am too big for this seat'. Mom still refused to let him out.

Evolily

Yeah, it has to be outgrown. It probably turns into a booster, but probably not a good one.

My best advice would be to say to mom something like "oh, my nephew had an eddie bauer seat- it was recalled. Maybe you should call and check to make sure yours isn't?" (hoping mom would call and be told it's expired) or "I just had our car seats checked at a car seat check, it's shocking how easy it is to install those things wrong!" (hoping mom would decide to get hers checked).

Mom might have heard "harness as long as possible" and just be rolling with it. It's possible she is trying to do the best she can.

wvmommy007

I told my friend to tell her DH that his ex-wife is clearly endangering their son by using that seat. My friend thinks she is too lazy to research seats, too cheap to buy another one, and is only harnessing him to keep him her "baby" longer. I told her to suggest a Nauti or a Frontier 85, depending on his actual weight, to DH, who can pass along word to mom. BTW, the boy rides in a booster in Dad's car and does just fine.

Evolily

I told my friend to tell her DH that his ex-wife is clearly endangering their son by using that seat. My friend thinks she is too lazy to research seats, too cheap to buy another one, and is only harnessing him to keep him her "baby" longer. I told her to suggest a Nauti or a Frontier 85, depending on his actual weight, to DH, who can pass along word to mom. BTW, the boy rides in a booster in Dad's car and does just fine.

Even if she moved him to a backless booster like the harmony literider it would be an improvement :thumbsup: . The good thing about the literider is it's easier to use than some other backless boosters, tends to position the belt well, and is cheap.

wvmommy007

They have extra backless boosters from his older brother. Maybe they could just give her one of those for little brother. I think the challenge will lie in convincing her he isn't safe in his current seat. If I get an update, I will be sure to post.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC