BT Flex Loc handle getting stuck?

Anne

I've heard of the handle getting a little stuck before. But usually when I see it mentioned it's just a little bit of a pain. Has anyone ever seen it get truly stuck?

I checked a friend's seat a few days ago. Their baby is due in a couple of weeks. The handle wasn't just a little bit of a pain, it simply wouldn't budge. It was in the back position when he arrived and he said it was a pain to get it there. I tried for several minutes and couldn't get it back up. He finally got it by holding the seat in front of him seat facing out, pressing one hand down on the top of the seat and using the other hand to push the handle over. It's like someone did the math wrong and the handle simply wasn't long enough to fit over the top of the seat.

When I told him the handle couldn't be up while driving he decided to take it back. They were going to just exchange for another and see if it worked better, but after talking to the return counter at BRU they just decided to get a different seat. I felt bad because they loved that one and the all-star pattern. And I taught him how to use that one. I don't know if he'll come back with his new seat!

ADS

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
I had one come in to our last check with the handle stuck in the up position. The seat was about 2 years old, but totally thrashed. It looked like they picked it up from a dumpster. So I don't know if it was a defect of the seat or just hard use. Thankfully we were able to help the family with a new seat.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have had them stick. I can usually get them to work by sqeezing the buttons and pulling to handle towards the feet of the baby, then back towards the head. I do make sure the sunshade is out of the way too.

Anne

Yeah I made sure the sunshade was completely out of the way. I had it braced against me, foot end toward me, head away, and held the buttons down and pulled toward me. Nothing. It simply didn't fit over the top. He had to push down on the top and up on the handle to get it to pass over.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
That is nuts. One thing that makes me dislike the BT a little was the handle, it was not easy, but yours, wow.

Spam

I had that problem with mine as well. I contacted them and was told to spray the hinge area (sorry can't think about what it's actually called at the moment) with PAM. Don't over do it, but just a little spray loosened them up and made it much easier to use.

rosey2007

I had a BT handle that used to stick as well and it was one of the reasons I did not buy that brand for my new baby. That is too bad about the All Star BT seat it is so cute. I am wondering if the shell might be longer on that seat because it goes to 30 pounds. Maybe they did not make the handle larger but who knows.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've never had it get completely stuck, but usually when I show it to people, it always looks hard for me to do it, so they are never interested in the seat after that (the puzzle buckle is a real buzzkill, too, lol). And some people have complained to me about it and asked if they should return it, or what. I just tell them to call BT because usually the seat's long past 90 days for being returned.

Mags462

Wow.... i used a BT bucket with all three kids (that's what having 3 kids in 4 years can do for car seat usage! ;)) and never had it stick like you are describing. It expired this past May and if there are any more babies in our future i won't buy another. It was just difficult. My friends Chicco's and Graco's are soooo smooth. I will miss the triangle handle, that was neat, but the thing was just wonky. I also liked how well it fit my tiny babes - the graco's swallowed them it seemed... but that darn handle will keep me from repeating the experience.

Hey BT why not a redesign?!?!?! :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC