CPST?

Dorothy

This might sound crazy considering all the questions I've posed to all of you recently, but could you tell me more about being a tech? I've got a lot on my plate, so this is more for future reference. And I already have the link to find classes in my area, so I guess I'm more interested in your personal experiences, views on, etc. becoming techs and what it entails once you're certified. I just read something Wendy said about a lot of techs feeling inconvenienced when a parent or caregivers asks questions ad desires to learn how to do their own installs. What a shame! Living in a rural area, I drove an hour to a tech that just slapped my first-ever car seat in and sent me on my way with no explanation despite my questions. Very frustrating!

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Of the 25 people in my class I was the only one there because I wanted to be. And like the nerdy kid in school who just loves being there, I was a bit respected, and had a LOT of eye rolls from both my fell classmates and my instructors. One instructor actually liked me, and she and I worked together after.

My experience has generally been positive. I deal with private inspections and parents to be for 90% of my clients. These are people who want to learn more and who seek me out. In my world it's the odd child who isn't rear facing to two years or older, parents usually drive cars less than five years old, and Britaxes and Radians are not uncommon. The public checks I do are usually by appointment, so the parents there are willing. The people I work with for public checks are stellar techs.

I admit, I'm spoiled when it comes to what I do.

In NC it was a different story. Most of my parents had kids and were set in their ways, the techs I did public checks were were morons, even the senior checkers. I'd meet the odd parent who was happy to do ERF, most listened and I'm sure went and did their own thing.

Wendy

smileybrea

CPS Technician
I was also the only one in class there because I wanted to be and the instructor had to ask me to stop answering questions :whistle: After the first day he asked how I knew so much and if I'd taken the class before. It worked well though because several classmates talked to me over breaks and I was able to go into further detail about ERF and EH.

As for the work, it's been hard because I am near a very low income area where most can't afford seats, are driving anciently expired ones or using none at all. I either have parents who WANT the information or those that don't care. I help with CAPP classes and 99% of them are only there to get out of their ticket. I'd say 75-80% actually leave with an understanding of the importance of car seat safety. I also talk to anyone and everyone. I frequently leisurely hang out in the car seat aisle at BRU or Walmart, I leave my card and notes on cars that have obvious misuse or expired seats telling them to contact me for a free NEW seat, I talk to anyone with young kids about how frequently misuse happens. I have overcome my fear of talking to people and my approach is non-threatening and usually goes over very well :)

Dorothy

I, too, am in a low-income area. I am horrified every day to see 2 yos riding completely unrestrained, even in the cargo hatches of SUVs. Admittedly, DD was turned ffing for a few months when I was hugely pregnant and getting her buckled in to her TF in the center back of my crew cab left me sweating and sucking air. Flimsy excuse, I know... But, she is once again happily rfing @ 2.5 yo. :) We just gave her TF to DS, and in our search for her new seat we ended up @ the closest TRU. They were unapologetically and openly shocked that it was for DD and I was trying seats out *gasp* rfing. It's very old-fashioned, to each his own here. Most, I fear, would not be receptive to any new ideas. But, wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to help those who were interested?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC