The Car Seat Lady

ADS

mrs_teeee67

While state laws may exempt taxis from the mandatory car seat laws, the laws of physics know no such exemption. Will you follow the laws of physics, or the laws made by politicians, to keep your child safe?

LOVE that!

hrice

Some info needs to be updated though.

"Infant seats: For babies up to 22lbs. Some models go up to 30 pounds.

Convertible seats: Rear-facing for babies and toddlers up to 30 or 35 pounds and then forward-facing for kids up to 40 pounds or more."

"The American Academy of Pediatrics says: When they are too big for rear-facing in their convertible seats. Most kids are 2 or 3 years old when they are too big. "Too Big" means either too tall or too heavy.

Too Tall: If head is within one inch of the top of the child safety seat.

Too Heavy: If child is 30 or 35 pounds--it depends on which seat you have."

"Who Should Ride in a Booster?

Kids, especially younger ones, are safer in a 5-point harness. Don’t rush to “graduate” your child to a booster seat. Kids who are AT LEAST 40 pounds AND AT LEAST 3-4 years old can start riding on boosters. Kids should ride on a booster UNTIL they can pass the 5-step-test (usually age 8-10), which you can see below.

If you can check "Yes" to all the statements below, your child is okay to use a booster:

YES NO
[ ] [ ] There is a shoulder AND lap belt where the child sits
[ ] [ ] The child is at least 40 pounds (kids are safer in a 5-point harness, especially those under 40lbs)
[ ] [ ] The child is at least 3-4 years old[ ] [ ] The child can sit still the entire trip without leaning forward or sitting on their knees"

StillThankful

Convertible seats: Rear-facing for babies and toddlers up to 30 or 35 pounds and then forward-facing for kids up to 40 pounds or more."

"The American Academy of Pediatrics says: When they are too big for rear-facing in their convertible seats. Most kids are 2 or 3 years old when they are too big. "Too Big" means either too tall or too heavy.

Kids, especially younger ones, are safer in a 5-point harness. Don’t rush to “graduate” your child to a booster seat. Kids who are AT LEAST 40 pounds AND AT LEAST 3-4 years old can start riding on boosters. Kids should ride on a booster UNTIL they can pass the 5-step-test (usually age 8-10), which you can see below.

If you can check "Yes" to all the statements below, your child is okay to use a booster:

YES NO
[ ] [ ] The child is at least 40 pounds (kids are safer in a 5-point harness, especially those under 40lbs)
[ ] [ ] The child is at least 3-4 years old[ ] [ ] The child can sit still the entire trip without leaning forward or sitting on their knees"

Yah. I noticed some of the info that needs to be updated too:) Maybe one of us could contact their site. They have a facebook page too:)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
She doesn't post here, but someone who works with her does.

:soapbox: I generally don't like sending unsolicited advice to people selling on Craigslist, to people with carseat websites, etc. I feel like it's a better use of energy to make the advice available to people who want it.

Athena

YES NO

:eek::eek::eek: This frustrates me given the statement at the top of the main page, "Accurate, up-to-date information from NHTSA-Certified Child Passenger Safety technicians and instructors about how to keep your most precious cargo safe"

It looks like this page was created years ago and maybe she did a good job with this then, but hasn't kept up with it and it is now sadly out of date. :(

BookMama

Senior Community Member
She doesn't post here, but someone who works with her does.

Actually, she works with the other Car Seat Lady, the Baltimore one. Debbie Baer, mother of Alisa Baer (the NYC Car Seat Lady). I'm impressed with Alisa but not so much with her, shall we say, old-school mother. :twocents:

ctbcleveland

I don't see sending unsolicited emails to craigslisters versus asking her to update her site comparable. If someone devoted that much time and energy into a website, they obviously want to spread the gospel of good carseat usage. She might just not have time to update it anymore, or maybe if her children are older, and isn't as "hip" with all the seats that are available.

My oldest son is now 3 - and most of her info would have been spot on when he was born. There was only one infant seat with a 30 lbs limit. Most seats RF to 33 lbs - a few to 35 lbs. It isn't light-years away from current CPS trends - just needs to be refreshed.

Splash

She is well aware of current everything. I doubt anyone on this board could tell her anything that she doesn't know 3 times over. Knowing it and overhauling a website (of which she may or may not control) are different. With the very recent introduction of very few 40lb rf seats, I don't see this as a glaring oversight. Nor do I believe it is irresponsible to open the option of a well fitted booster to a 3 or 4 year old who has outgrown a convertible seat, as long as the child doesn't play around too much. I've known many 3 and 4 year olds that were fine in a booster.

StillThankful

I posted a comment on her facebook page and she responded almost immediately. She seems very nice.

I don't think she would be offended to get the most-up-to date information regarding Rfing limits. I'm always in a receiving mode for information that will inevitably help others. I'm sure she is the same way. I think it's the way you give the information that makes a difference.

Something like "I love the information on your website regarding convertibles! It has been so helpful in aiding me guide new parents in selecting certain car seats. The best news is that I can now provide them a link with your website and update them on the current available car seats that rearface even longer now to 40 and 45#. THanks again!" :)

It's not an attack on her expertise in child restraint safety at all.

We correct each other all the time here. If I'm wrong, please correct me and give me the accurate information:eek: I am thankful to be enlightened on subjects.

Splash

The thing is, you're assuming she DOESN'T have the most UTD info. I assure you, she does. She's got more info in her left forearm than a lot of people here do in their entire bodies. I'm not making her out to be a car seat god or anything, but this woman is GOOD. She KNOWS what she's doing. But I personally wouldn't be running screaming to my webmaster telling them to change something small on a website detailing a 5 pound difference in a situation where MOST kids were already FF 15 pounds ago.

NannyMom

There are 3 Carseat Ladies. Emily I believe runs the website, and possibly the Facebook and blog (may be Alisa, but I think Emily). Debbi is the original (Alisa's mother as someone else said). And she is very good, and very old school. Alisa is a pediatrician, and Debbi is a Labor and delivery nurse. They both have all the up to date info. It likely just hasn't made it to the site yet. I don't think they will mind an email about updating the info. I know someone here emailed one of them once about the boosters for a 3 year old and they decided to leave it as is. I don't remember the exact reasoning though, because I KNOW Debbi would rather see that 3 year old rear facing.

Last edited:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The thing is, you're assuming she DOESN'T have the most UTD info. I assure you, she does. She's got more info in her left forearm than a lot of people here do in their entire bodies. I'm not making her out to be a car seat god or anything, but this woman is GOOD. She KNOWS what she's doing. But I personally wouldn't be running screaming to my webmaster telling them to change something small on a website detailing a 5 pound difference in a situation where MOST kids were already FF 15 pounds ago.

Yes. Exactly. CarSeatSafetyMom did her IC with these people. They give out best practice info. I do too, but I wouldn't have a clue how to put that up on a website.

The thing is, a booster is a SAFE option for a 3yo that stays in position. I've seen plenty of kids that do just fine 90% of the time. As much as I'd like to say that no parent should ever take the risk that their child might be in that 10% window of not sitting correctly when a crash occurs, it's just not realistic to think that most families are going to listen. Putting 3yos in boosters is the norm. Not putting the thing that everybody does (and that most people thinks works just fine) out there as a possibility just drives away the audience before you have the chance to discuss whether or not that actually fits their situation.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

:thumbsup: Alisa posts quite frequently to the CPSP List and is probably one of the best CPS trained physicians in the US. She knows what the most current issues are.

As an informational website owner, I welcome when someone lets me know if I have out-of-date info on my site. I have 20+ web pages on my site and even though I go through them on a yearly basis, I miss things. Just be sure to do it nicely :). Last year I got a holier than thou email telling me I was wrong about something and let's just say I said a few words out loud to that writer (glad my kids weren't around). Oh, and she wasn't even correct.

StillThankful

These car seat ladies are definitely on top of it!

The more I read the info in the web site, the more I get excited. For example, they give a free phone consultation to those with car seat questions and a one hour free one-on-one private car seat installation lesson (which is not restricted to first time parents):) In addition, there is no charge for housecalls (Manhattan only):)

BTW, It looks like their website was last copyrighted in 2006, so it just seems that a little of there info hasn't been refreshed (as one of the PPs stated) since then. For example, some of their links don't work anymore--typical of a website that has been running for a few years.

I look forward to establishing a rapport with them in the future.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC