Will I love an Ergo?

Splash

I want to order one SO bad. All I have in regards to babywearing is a single pouch that has thus far served me well. He's getting a bit big for it, though. I can still hip carry him with minimal discomfort, but it's getting hard to stuff him in it!
Charlie wasn't worn as a baby. His health prevented it (it would have been extremely painful for him. There were times when we couldn't even hold him period) so I never did it. Occasionally I'd put him in the pouch, but not often. He was a stroller baby. I do have a really nice stroller, though, that he loves.
We go out a lot, to Busch Gardens or the zoo or Sea World. He normally rides in his stroller with no complaints. I have to leave him in the stroller most of the time if it's very sunny out (we try to do our outings in the evening or on overcast days). However, he LOVES to be carried as well. This weekend at Busch Gardens he wanted to be carried pretty much the whole way.
AJ just bought him (me) a new stroller a few months ago, so I'm having a hard time justifying another baby transport object. It's a pretty cushy stroller, and the ONLY one he liked. It's also gigantic.

I'd love to have a really nice carrier for our long outings, in addition to a stroller. I mostly want to carry him on my back and hip. We live in Florida, and it's in the 80s even now, so I don't want something too too hot. I *think* he'll take to it, but I'm not positive.

I know I can order it from most places with a 30, 60, or 90 day trial and 100% money back if I don't like it. But it IS a hundred bucks. I have an almost $50 credit at DiaperCo, and I doubt I'll be needing diapers again soon (the ones I bought were too big, so I sent the unwashed ones back and just decided to use his large FB during the day and deal with some droop. So now I don't *need* diapers anymore if we're using the large FB we had previously used only for overnights). So that would be fifty bucks that i really don't have to spend, but then I forfeit the ability to return it if we don't like it.

What would you do? Should I just order it from DiaperCo, or is it not worth the risk? I know I'm gonna get a lashing for ordering it period, but I can spin it in my favor ;) (actually, she told me to go ahead and order it, but she thinks it's a waste of money. Oh well, grudging permission is still permission!) I'm used to wanting things I don't need and finding a way to get her to side with me.

Also, the heat and color... I was going to order the light blue one. But... do you think the khaki one will be cooler? Or what about the organic denim? I'm not crazy about the denim one by looks, but do you think it will be cooler than cotton canvas?

And anything else I should consider? The Sutemi Pack looks interesting, but I don't think I'm crazy about it crossing in the front. What I REALLY want is something that I can comfortably carry him on my hip or back for longish (45 minutes or so) at a time (he'll want to walk in between, I'm sure) and also be comfortable for him to sleep in just in case. It definitely needs to eb easy to get him in and out of by myself. The front carry is nice to have, but not that imperative. I thought of a MT, and I know it would be more versatile, but I'm worried it would hurt him. The ties putting pressure on him anywhere will probably bruise him, especially his thighs.

Anyone done a hip carry in an Ergo? How did it go?

Charlie is 19 months and 30 pounds.

ADS

skaterbabs

I borrowed a friend's recently and was able to back-carry Joyjoy (effectively 40 lbs) without any strain. I didn't try to hip carry, but I would LOVE to buy an Ergo.

tech_raechel

Senior Community Member
I've had an Ergo for a few years now and absolutely love it. I bought it for my then 2 1/2yr old, 30lb son for a trip where I did a lot of hiking with him. I found it to be very comfortable (even more so than my frame backpack, which I loved too). I've since used it with ds3, since he was a couple of months old. I use it on a daily basis, often for hours at a time. The only time I get uncomfortable with it is if I don't pay attention to my posture when he's sleeping (I'll lean forward so I don't feel like he's going to flop over, which can be remedied by just using the hood). Ds3 is now 17mo & about 23lbs.

I've never done the hip carry. I really like the back carry, but it can take some getting used to to get them on your back by yourself. Although, with an older child it shouldn't be too bad, as they can help you.

You might find the Ergo to be warm. I do in the summer (mine is the black canvas). But, It's probably no warmer than any other way you'd carry them against you. When I wore ds3 last summer, my back was always sweaty, but I was ok with that. Dh, on the other hand, could not deal with it. I'm not a stroller person, though, and find carriers to be the ultimate convenience when out in crowds. JMHO. Good luck deciding!

super_grape

I've carried my 3 year old on my back in our Ergo and wasn't uncomfortable but I didn't carry her for long. The baby I have carried on my back extensively
(but she's just 21ish lbs.) and it dosen't bother me one bit.
It does get a little sweaty tho but I also have a black ergo...the organic cotton one may be better or even just a lighter color like you mentioned.
Is the padding different in the Organic Ergo...I don't know what the regular Ergo is padded with but am wondering if the padding is polyester in the regular and cotton in the organic???

We LOOOOOOOOVE our Ergo and it's the only way I get anything done around here....the baby even falls asleep in it from time to time and she's
a bed sleeper typically!

HTH!

Morganthe

You already know what I think about the Ergo :p ;) :D

If you really have doubts, then order it from one of those with the guaranteed returns. Then if you do like it, return it, & re-buy it with your $50 diaper credit.

Since the kid body area is lined with a soft cotton material, dd was never affected by the heat. The only place I really got warm was around the waist belt. Not that noticeable in comparison with the temp outside.

Khaki would show fading & spotting quicker than a medium color like the cranberry marroon or blue denim. Black would be the warmest with the dark absorbing the sun & heat. I can't remember the other colors, sorry.

good luck on your agonising decision. Perhaps AJ will enjoy using it too :)

Splash

Yeah, I'm gonna order it. I DID think about exactly what you said, Morganthe. It feels like cheating, but... okay, I thought about it.
I'm ordering it from somewhere that will give me 90 days to decide. I can definitely decide in 90 days! I think I'm going to go with the light blue (not demin, canvas) and either khaki or bug print. Oh, decisions!
AJ told me I could have it. She thinks it's pointless, but oh well. I can't decide if I should order the waist extension. I won't need it, but she probably will. She'll DEFINITELY not like it if she can't even use it! I think I'll just order it and eat the eight bucks if she decides she really hates it anyway.

I'm glad to get it. I think I'll love it. If not, I'll return it. Return shipping will only be around five bucks, so I definitely think that's a risk worth taking.

Now I just have to pick a color. And wait. Waiting is not fun.

Morganthe

Yeah, I'm gonna order it. I DID think about exactly what you said, Morganthe. It feels like cheating, but... okay, I thought about it.

I can't decide if I should order the waist extension. I won't need it, but she probably will. She'll DEFINITELY not like it if she can't even use it! I think I'll just order it and eat the eight bucks if she decides she really hates it anyway.

Waiting is not fun.

Yeah, I know my suggestion isn't quite above the board, but I figure you wouldn't go out on 5 hour hikes and then return it all sweaty :p

Unless she has a waist of at least over 51" do not bother getting the waist extension. In fact, I have mine around here somewhere completely unused. I think I saw it the other day too. I'll dig it up, send it for postage if she really needs it. Even with a thick jacket, I never required its use and I'm FAT! :p
Of course, I cinch it down like a corset, but it's so much easier having all the weight on my waist instead of my shoulders. The belt is very comfortable like a kidney support for weight lifting. Helped my posture even when dd was walking around. There's about 4 inches of excess strappage when I'm wearing it.

Yep, now you have to wait. Neener, neener, neener :p
:D

arly1983

I have to add my 2 cents. We love it. I hauled Jackson (35 lbs) in it on my back yesterday while we were outside. It was so comfortable.

abckidsmom

I'm new here, but I just HAD to chime in. I love, love love my Ergo! I couldn't live without it until I got past 27 weeks pregnant, then it was too uncomfortable to have the strap under my big old belly.

I've carried my kids up to 44 lb in it with no discomfort (like back or hip pain) only the feeling of them being heavy and wiggly. I had no trouble at all carrying my 20 lb 12 mo or my 35 lb 2.5 yo in it, until I was big and pg. FWIW, my waist was 38" before the pregnancy, and I dropped the ergo completely when my waist/hips measured 45" because it was too tight. I'm not sure if I'd still be using it if I had the waist extender, but if I don't get right back to my before weight when the baby's born I'm getting it because I love it that much.

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
LOL! I'm too cheap to buy a real Ergo, but I wanted one so badly. I had a friend send me the dimensions and I studied the pictures on line and made one myself. (So yes, my username is an accurate description of me :p)

Anyway, we love it! Mine is slightly softer than the real thing becuase I didn't use really stiff interfacing, but it's the most comfortable carrier I have ever used. I've used the front and back carry, but haven't tried the hip carry. Sometimes its the only way to get my youngest to sleep.

Here are a few pictures: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/picsoferika/album/576460762335475317/photo/294928803504276826/23

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/picsoferika/album/576460762335475317/photo/294928803504276837/24

Morganthe

I've carried my kids up to 44 lb in it with no discomfort (like back or hip pain) only the feeling of them being heavy and wiggly. I had no trouble at all carrying my 20 lb 12 mo or my 35 lb 2.5 yo in it, until I was big and pg. FWIW, my waist was 38" before the pregnancy, and I dropped the ergo completely when my waist/hips measured 45" because it was too tight. I'm not sure if I'd still be using it if I had the waist extender, but if I don't get right back to my before weight when the baby's born I'm getting it because I love it that much.

Do you have the 'classic' Ergo or the new model that came out around Feb 2005?
Just curious :)

InTheWoods

I have a New Generation Ergo in Organic Denim, which I love. I've had it for six months and have used it solely for back carries w/ my now 2yo DD.

I had an older version Ergo and prefer the NG -- much more comfortable where the straps go under my arms.

I bought my NG Ergo used off TBW FSOT Forum. The outlet at Attached to Baby has returned Ergo's for $78 (and never been worn ones for the usual price): http://store.attachedtobaby.com/Categories/ATB-Outlet/Structured-Carrier-Outlet.aspx

abckidsmom

Do you have the 'classic' Ergo or the new model that came out around Feb 2005?
Just curious :)

I believe it was the old version. I really want the denim one now, but since the other one is just barely a year old, I'll have to wait. Dh doesn't like to wear it.

I just love it, and I love how snuggly it feels with a small baby froggy-style in there.

Splash

Well I ordered light blue with the khaki interior. They didn't have the one I wanted (light blue with red interior/hood) but I can live with it. I backed out of the cute bug print at the last minute.
It's shipping from KY, to FL, and will ship tomorrow. Hopefully I have it Friday! I'm so excited! Even AJ has softened to it. I know she'll almost definitely never wear it, but at least she's not vehemently opposed to it anymore. Oh, I laid it on thick last night. I just don't play fair, I know it.
I did go ahead and order the belt. If I don't use it (or if you find yours, Morganthe) then I'll send it back. But I want to have it just in case.

Does anyone find that the straps dig into their hips/shoulders? I know it's padded, but the straps runs UNDER the padding instead of over it, which seems completely stupid. Any problems?

Oh goodie! Saturday morning is the street market and I would LOVE to be able to carry him the whole time!

abckidsmom

Well I ordered light blue with the khaki interior. They didn't have the one I wanted (light blue with red interior/hood) but I can live with it. I backed out of the cute bug print at the last minute.
It's shipping from KY, to FL, and will ship tomorrow. Hopefully I have it Friday! I'm so excited! Even AJ has softened to it. I know she'll almost definitely never wear it, but at least she's not vehemently opposed to it anymore. Oh, I laid it on thick last night. I just don't play fair, I know it.
I did go ahead and order the belt. If I don't use it (or if you find yours, Morganthe) then I'll send it back. But I want to have it just in case.

Does anyone find that the straps dig into their hips/shoulders? I know it's padded, but the straps runs UNDER the padding instead of over it, which seems completely stupid. Any problems?

Oh goodie! Saturday morning is the street market and I would LOVE to be able to carry him the whole time!

I've never had any trouble with the straps digging into anything other than my huge belly when pg. You may find that you don't like the chest straps so much. I took mine off. (Here I am confessing that on a safety-obsessed forum!)

arly1983

Oh, its too bad you couldn't get a blue with red. Thats what we have and it is very nice looking. I almost got the blue with khaki.

Splash

That's the one I wanted, but the site I wanted to order it from didn't have them. It's okay, I can live with khaki. Besides, every single hint of dark fabric attracts more of our FL heat.

Stresch

I lurve ours. Of course, I carry around the tiniest child ever, but it is so nice. Em even kicked around a soccer ball with our 3.5 year old niece in it over Thanksgiving.

We have the maroon with the bug print.

abacus2

I love my Ergo. I have the Khaki one; I wanted khaki with bug print but had a discount code to a store that only carried the solid colors. I have the extender strap and like that it places the waist belt clip away from the padded edge for easy do/undo. I carry my 15lb dd on the front (she wasn't very comfortable on my back and my hair's long right now). I love the pocket in the front. I can stuff it with a medium Fuzzi Bunz and a couple wipes in a small wetbag, a small wallet, my cellphone, and my keys and go purse, stroller, and diaper bag free. Woo-hoo! It's easy to get dd in and out and supper comfortable.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC